What you should know about posting images here

bullfrog

Q...........?

Just curious if this thread is done since I never got any response from my last post? BF

HudsonGray

If you want to spend $35 per card and copyright each one, you can, but you won't be getting a refund or group rate from the copyright office. However, if you have the working sketches, copies of online documentation (dates on the posts) as you discuss the thing, blogging activity, rough drafts, photocopies & all the attendant items from the artistic side--that should be enough proof. You can show all the buildup work in regards to the card, whereas someone who would steal it could not. PLUS you have your other body of work which would be in your style as well.

To be 100% covered, DON'T post it online. Or post it with a "SAMPLE" stamp over the top of it. It'll cut off a good section of the picture, but people understand. It'd be your choice as to how much to show of your work.

kuwaizair

HudsonGray said:
If you want to spend $35 per card and copyright each one, you can, but you won't be getting a refund or group rate from the copyright office. However, if you have the working sketches, copies of online documentation (dates on the posts) as you discuss the thing, blogging activity, rough drafts, photocopies & all the attendant items from the artistic side--that should be enough proof. You can show all the buildup work in regards to the card, whereas someone who would steal it could not. PLUS you have your other body of work which would be in your style as well.

To be 100% covered, DON'T post it online. Or post it with a "SAMPLE" stamp over the top of it. It'll cut off a good section of the picture, but people understand. It'd be your choice as to how much to show of your work.

wow, its so ovr my head. I don't know, I have a tarnisted reputation so noone would steal from me...also because I don't draw pink cartoon dogs 'as a living'. anway could somone help me keep track of all this? I'm a spacy person.

HudsonGray

Oh that mostly refers to posting images online, some people have had art stolen that way and others used it as their own or without permission--which was the reason the thread was started.

Copyrighting a deck couldn't be easier, it's not that expensive and it has very simple paperwork (1 page for original stuff, a 2 page form for things derived from other people's art or ideas but still your own creation).

Your 'reputation' is only with a tiny group of fen, don't sweat what's not a problem. Feel free to PM me (I sent you a PM the other day in fact). Ask questions and people here will be happy to answer them.

nexus7

I had originally intended to post here as opposed to creating a new thread, but I shall be watching this thread with interest.

I recently found out that my cards were being displayed on Multiply without my permission and am in the process of trying to ask them to stop (not sure if emailing them will be enough now). I did have a self-addressed copy of my Pack whilst still in the UK, but had reworked several cards - I did write the copyright symbol on the botom left of each card. I am now based in Hungary and that Multiply is based in New York and I know there has been a furore recently about the so-called Orphaned Works bill - and I will never be ableto afford buying copyright for all my artworks, let alone my Tarot.

TarotGirlUK

Major Tom said:
I post this thread following recent reports of attempted theft and theft of images/ideas.

You must know that your work is at risk when you post it to the internet. It is unfortunate that this is a real risk.

There are however, certain steps you can take to protect yourself. I invite anyone to add to this thread with their advice.

My advice is to document and register.

Here's two useful links for those in the UK:

www.patent.gov.uk/copy/

www.cla.co.uk/

I propose to give this thread a few weeks or so to allow plenty of time for contributions. After this unspecified period of time I intend to edit the thread and make it a sticky at the top of this board. I may contact contributors regarding their contributions. Anyone of course is welcome to contact me directly regarding this or with any concerns they have about the Tarot Deck Creation Board.

Major Tom
Moderator Tarot Deck Creation Board.

This site will monitor the internet for instances of copying and notify you of who is doing it:)

https://fairshare.attributor.com/fairshare/

HTH