Who reads professionally (either PT or FT)?

TemperanceAngel

mac22 said:
I read P/T professionally. I also just started consulting for 2 spa. Rates are $125/hr. I have a business card with my email.
$125/hr....
*TA nearly chokes on her glass of water*

Paul

I've read professionally in the past, in four contexts: out of a bookstore, as part of a "psychic" association that travelled around the city at malls and did events, at Rennaissance faires, and house calls. All part time.

The worst was the psychic association, which dictated price (because the overseer did not want people undercutting others) and charged a table fee, to be met no matter how your day went. There was a strange competetive vibe and a type of seniority system wherein the long timers got the best locations at the mall, which made it very hard for newbies to get started. Icky icky icky. Moreover, the setting was at the public shopping mall, rather than a setting wherein people were inherently open to this (like a metaphysical bookstore). So the tiresome reactions of the born-againers got very old.
I even had to audition for the group to get a table.

The Renaissance Faires were similar, but a better atmosphere.

The bookstore was the most relaxed, but time-consuming to devote hours there hoping to catch a fish-- it felt like fishing. The bookstore took a cut on what you made, not a flat fee.

The best was house calls. Yup! No worries about people coming to my home and I would take safety precautions. I prided myself on charging a "reasonable" price, being the psychic who did house calls, which was not due unless you were satisfied with the reading. It never happened that I was turned away with no compensation. Maybe it was pity. ;)

Keep in mind this caution. People often romanticize being a "psychic" or "fortune-teller" or "intuitive counselor". It has a dark side. This was my experience as well as many others': When you build a client-base, there is a likely possibility that you will encounter very dependent people, who call you as if you're a psychotherapist and need "emergency" readings. At that time, I was putting myself through college and the ER calls were annoying...and strangely tempting to do the reading for the much needed cash. It's a tough business. Moreover, clients can be very demanding, wanting to hand over responsibility for decision making to the tarot reader-- you. I was in my twenties then, still a lot of growing to do, and found clients' demands for fast food answers to very tough questions to be taxing-- and yes, I did try and help them re-word their inquiries into the realm of realism. Those colleagues on a power trip actually enjoyed their pedestal-- I decidedly did not!
You have to have good psychological, emotional, hec "aural," boundaries.

The phone lines perhaps avoid a lot of this and create some much needed boundaries with the clients.

Funny. I am a psychotherapist now, by profession. But, one is well-trained in therapy-training to cope with boundaries. I did not have such training then.

TemperanceAngel

Paul said:
The worst was the psychic association, which dictated price (because the overseer did not want people undercutting others) and charged a table fee, to be met no matter how your day went. There was a strange competetive vibe and a type of seniority system wherein the long timers got the best locations at the mall, which made it very hard for newbies to get started. Icky icky icky. Moreover, the setting was at the public shopping mall, rather than a setting wherein people were inherently open to this (like a metaphysical bookstore). So the tiresome reactions of the born-againers got very old.
I even had to audition for the group to get a table.
Hi Paul this rings true for me for some shops and Fairs I have worked at, what is that all about?? I tell you there is no love or cpmpassion flying around those places!

On another note you reminded me of the South Park episode last night where Cartman has a tragic accident causing a head injury and is deemed a psychic, LOL :D He then becomes a Psychic Detective working for the Police and putting the wrong folk in jail for murder. The Psychics Association gets quite peeved as he is not a member and taking away all their business.
To become a member it costs $25- and a form needs to be filled out that is found on the back of a comic book :laugh: How does that series get away with it all :confused: Great stuff indeed!

mac22

TemperanceAngel said:
To become a member it costs $25- and a form needs to be filled out that is found on the back of a comic book :laugh: How does that series get away with it all :confused: Great stuff indeed!

Simple it's Television...:D

TemperanceAngel

mac22 said:
Simple it's Television...:D
But isn't TV reality???

God love it, it made my night....so gorgeous :D

Paul

TemperanceAngel said:
Hi Paul this rings true for me for some shops and Fairs I have worked at, what is that all about?? I tell you there is no love or cpmpassion flying around those places!

I tell ya' - they are snakepits. Smiling snakes, sitting at tables with cheery tablecloths and the token crystal collection.
So, what was I doing there?
;)

TemperanceAngel

Paul said:
I tell ya' - they are snakepits. Smiling snakes, sitting at tables with cheery tablecloths and the token crystal collection.
So, what was I doing there?
;)
Oops we are hijacking the thread, but as Paul said in another thread Tarot as work can be seen as quite romantic, when really it's damn hard work and you earn every penny you get :D

Not to put anyone off: I love my job :D I love the cards :D I love meeting people and that all combined wouldn't let me give my job up for anything in the world...you just have to choose the 'right places' to work, eh Paul ;)

P.S. I am a PT/FT Tarot Consultant :)

Paul

TemperanceAngel said:
Oops we are hijacking the thread

Oops, as well. Ahem...right, back on topic.
It's not all doom and gloom. On the light side of the force, it can be quite rewarding and polish your reading skills like nobody's business.

Just be careful. Set boundaries. Boundaries, boundaries, boundaries. Did I mention boundaries?

TemperanceAngel

Paul said:
Just be careful. Set boundaries. Boundaries, boundaries, boundaries. Did I mention boundaries?
That is the keyword, but I think sometimes you have to learn what your boundaries are first before you set them, unfortunately....