Who reads professionally (either PT or FT)?

mac22

Paul said:
Oops, as well. Ahem...right, back on topic.
It's not all doom and gloom. On the light side of the force, it can be quite rewarding and polish your reading skills like nobody's business.

Just be careful. Set boundaries. Boundaries, boundaries, boundaries. Did I mention boundaries?

Yes you did ....:D And I concur...If you don't you may find your next reading in a comfy padded room with dim lighting :laugh: I would honestly say learning to set boundaries with clients is 1/3 of the job.

Paul

mac22 said:
Yes you did ....:D And I concur...If you don't you may find your next reading in a comfy padded room with dim lighting :laugh: I would honestly say learning to set boundaries with clients is 1/3 of the job.

I like dim lighting.

Hmmmm.

A padded room might be nice, too. So soft.

mac22

Paul said:
I like dim lighting.

Hmmmm.

A padded room might be nice, too. So soft.

They are quiet too...but often get quite hot...:p

Sulis

I don't read professionally at the moment but I've been considering it - since my reflexology business is still going nowhere :)

Love

Sulis xx

DarkElectric

I read professionally part time, out of 2 different stores. One is a sweet little rock shop, I'm the in store reader there. The other is an herb/wiccan store. I'm on call there, and do their twice yearly "Open House" festivals. (Which are really gigantic clearance sales, with a bunch of readers, Reiki people and whatever the store doesn't sell, peddling wares outside in the parking lot.) I have a money back guarantee. So far nobody has wanted their money back. I don't charge a lot to begin with, $20. per reading is the going rate around here. Any more than that and you have to be some famous name "Guest Reader.

But I do reasonably well, and I'm getting new clients all the time too. My friend Maureen called me last night, she got a new job at a jewelry store in a humongous local shopping mall. One of the girls she works wth wants me to read for her, and there are other people there who will be interested as well. To be honest, I wouldn't turn down the opportunity to read for people at that mall. I've worked retail in malls before, and I know it's a little community in and of itself. There are 300+ stores in there. Good word getting around among mall employees is like winning the lotto. Besides, if you make friends with the rent-a-cops, you can even read for people in the food court during their breaks, and they won't roust ya!

lark

Paul said:
I tell ya' - they are snakepits. Smiling snakes, sitting at tables with cheery tablecloths and the token crystal collection.
So, what was I doing there?
;)
I guess I am one of the smiling snakes. :D
I work at a psychic fair.
We rent motel conference rooms and make the rounds of different hotels on the weekends.
I can honestly say now that I am with this new fair I love all the people I work with.
They are honest and talented people who work diligently to hone their skills.
But I have met a few "klinkers" in working the fairs.
Not everyone is honest.
And we try to run a spiritually well fair without all the ego bashing.
We have a web site being built and my fair work brings me phone and internet readings also.
It is my only job.
I certainly agree that creating bounderies and having a personal code of ethics are two of the most important things.
As I am a very reclusive person to begin with bounderies are mega important to me.

mac22 I am so happy for you that you hit upon spa work, and that it is profitable for you.
Location I think has alot to do with where you end up working.
I just feel lucky that I have an outlet close by in the "Gifted Spirit Wellness Fair" that allows me to practice the art of tarot.

mac22

lark said:
I guess I am one of the smiling snakes. :D
I work at a psychic fair.

Hehe.

There are "good" & "bad" fairs. I've seen both....

mac22 I am so happy for you that you hit upon spa work, and that it is profitable for you.
Location I think has a lot to do with where you end up working.
I just feel lucky that I have an outlet close by in the "Gifted Spirit Wellness Fair" that allows me to practice the art of tarot.

Opportunities are where & what you make of them.

People have asked me in other threads why I take courses in both psychology & Tarot both have helped make me a more effective intuitive & reader. I find the same with joining professional organizations such as the ATA....it doesn't cost it pays.

magpie9

I've been reading proffesionally both part time and full time on and off over a 40 years period. At this point I do it when I feel like it, for pleasure and pocket money. I read at local coffee houses, with the owner's permission, of course. I have no set schedule, and turn up when I feel like it. Presently, I charge a "donation" at the end of the reading, and the client is the one who decides how much to give me. I don't put it in terms of "what's it worth to you?" because they may not have that much on them, LOL :D I've gotten as little as $1, and as high as $100. If someone really needs a free reading, they get it. Part of this is because I like to make tarot accessable to poor students, etc., and because it's very very important to me to in no way view it as a money cow. This is because at this point in my life, my spiritual path is so closely linked with tarot, that I need to keep tarot almost entirely a "gift" I put out into the Kosmic Karma, what Goes AroundComesAround, You Get What You Give, 6 of Pentacles "fund".
It also frees me to refuse to read for anyone on the grounds that I don't feel like it. In this way I avoid the parasitic and deeply disturbed dependent clients that come to every reader. Even they know that if they're not paying for a service, you don't owe the service to them.
I am not suggesting that there is anything wrong with doing it any other way, it's just what works for me and keeps me happy. And when I do a reading by appointment, I do charge a set fee.
The standard fee where I live is $1 a minute, but I don't like clock watching, it takes my focus away froim the cards and the client. Some people I've known over the years, charge by per spread, or per card (like $5 a card) but I don't like doing that either, I need to be free to check out a tangent with more cards, or sometimes to lay out a whole new spread to answer a question fully, without running up the client's bill.
When I make an appointment for a reading with someone, I usually do charge a set fee. I charge for the whole reading, not how long or how many. a usual full reading goes 20 -30 minutes, and some readings go an Hour. Usually that means $20.-$30 for a normal reading, and $50 for a really long one. I am very generous with the time count on these, and of course have explained it up front On my business card I have an e-mail address, no phone number.

I have always read in coffee houses, parties, my home or clients homes, bookstores (cut-throat is a kind word for the usual rivelry amoung readers there) small psychic fairs, renniesance fairs, and yes, it's true, in my youth I was the Gypsy Fortune Teller in a traveling show. So Sue Me. I read true, didn't overcharge, did not con them, and did not take money to "fix" thier lives,--or to put the "fix" on thier lovers or ememies, for good or ill. It was clean and ethical.

It's funny, I always thought,( in the beginning,) that the periods when I was reading for my full living would be the best, but for me, they held too much uncertainty about money, and too much general anxiety. And I found the competitive aspects really tiresome at best. How I'm doing it now is a free and joyious place for me.

Mimers

I read part time. My favorite place to read is at the coffee shop. I go there when I feel like reading. There are no set times. The owners don't mind and don't ask for a cut. They appreciate the business it brings in.

Last weekend, I read for donations to UNICEF. Raised $220 for the Tsunami victums. This weekend I am doing a Tarot party for 30 per person. That would be $240.

I love doing parties and reading at the coffee shop. I don't like making house calls. Takes too much time and I just don't have a lot of that.