Who's seen the Imaginarium of Dr Parnassus?

gregory

It's AWESOME - and I loved seeing the credits with Lo Scarabeo right in the middle of them ! :) (I watched to make SURE they'd got credit for the deck !)

Which was LS' Ancient Italian, as I recall.

HearthCricket

gregory said:
It's AWESOME - and I loved seeing the credits with Lo Scarabeo right in the middle of them ! :) (I watched to make SURE they'd got credit for the deck !)

Which was LS' Ancient Italian, as I recall.

It looked like it as it had none of those LS borders around it, but they did add some funky extra symbols in the artwork and I would love to know more about that! Bars or rectangular boxes with symbols inside them. What a journey that movie is! There is a lot of stuff on the internet about it. And how odd it was that Heath Ledger had played two "cards", the Joker and now, in this movie, the Hangman.

gregory

HearthCricket said:
It looked like it as it had none of those LS borders around it, but they did add some funky extra symbols in the artwork and I would love to know more about that! Bars or rectangular boxes with symbols inside them.
Well - it had to have no LS borders. or it couldn't have held up as an ancient deck !

HearthCricket

I found a shot online with a closeup of their version of the Hangman. See all the symbols they added to it. Rather effective, IMO. I see some runes and astrological symbols, among others...

gregory

OOOOH.

I wonder who their tarot consultant was (the studio had one for a WolfMan movie) - maybe they'd know ?

Glitterbird

Darn it - I had it from netflix last week and didn't get to see it before someone sent it back.
Back on the list it goes.

Le Fanu

gregory said:
I wonder who their tarot consultant was (the studio had one for a WolfMan movie) - maybe they'd know ?
I see a new ambition forming in my career. Now that's my dream job...

HearthCricket

Le Fanu said:
I see a new ambition forming in my career. Now that's my dream job...

How cool would that be? lol There is this deep part of me that wants to get another Ancient Italian (tarot, not person) and put them through the wringer, drier, you name it, to age the deck like that one. It looks as soft as a kid glove!

Le Fanu

HearthCricket said:
How cool would that be? lol There is this deep part of me that wants to get another Ancient Italian (tarot, not person) and put them through the wringer, drier, you name it, to age the deck like that one. It looks as soft as a kid glove!
But I think with the lamination and stuff the ink of the pen wouldn't "grip". You'd need an unlaminated Soprafino.

If anyone knows of a pen that would write on the lamination of cards, let me know, I'd love to customise an Ancient Italian with spooky, meaningless & scarey symbols!

And your post made me wonder; what if one put one's Ancient Italian in the washing machine? How would it come out? Anyone try it (Not a hot wash)? Might be an interesting technique for ageing.

I'm thinking washing machine first, then spooky, scarey symbols afterwards...

Signed Le Fanu. Full time (not part time) Tarot Consultant

Debra

HearthCricket said:
eta~According to the creator of the movie the first is the symbol of Phi.

Yes, it's phi, used frequently in mathematics to symbolize this or that, depending on the type of mathematics; also stands for "philosophy." I mean I don't understand what it means in the context of being drawn on the forehead of the hanged man, a traitor.