Why do people see The World negatively?

RViewer

Those who wear masks.

A lot of the time people are not honest about themselves or what they really enjoy within the world. The real World we inhabit is under the influence of many systems of organized religions filled with those indulging in other than what they espouse. Some of these members are so into themselves they do not wish to burden their "beautiful minds" with a thought or a care to the very real suffering endured by others.

It is desirable to reside in a state of joy and contentment. However, if you are able to do so on a perpetual basis on this planet then you may be a sociopath or worse. If you are unaware of your selfishness, your disconnect with reality, and your chosen influence, it is possible that at some point a severe emotional breakdown may occur when you get a clue. If this never arrives and you continue to think and only regard your own state of pretending to others that you "really do care for children" etc. then you are in a worse state than if you had the crash.

I see the World card as a vision of potential of what can happen if we deeply care, have the means to give to the world what it needs and then do so. In this way an individual and the collective will find true joy. By way of contrast those that are ill already believe everything is as it should be as they have theirs. All they will do is say "All is well" and point to any that think differently as if they are the one with the problem.

If you reside in a state where all is fine with you as long as you get yours then you may be part of a problem. However if you find yourself too depressed to do anything than it becomes hard to be part of any solution.

ravenest

What? Buddha is a sociopath now?

A narrow viewpoint IMO ... I wont go on about my personal pain suffering and loss ... I will just say I worked in the refugee relocation programme for a while, with troubled homeless youth, in a hospital washing old people for 7 years, etc , etc. MY views have NOT been developed by being wrapped in cotton wool.

Not to mention the close quarters I have experienced with the living conditions of those that have never been migrants here (the indigenous population) ... many of these people, have demonstrated, amidst adversity far beyond anything I have experienced are the people that have taught me the most about the joyful experiences of life - certainly not from some young, healthy white westerner male sitting on top of his pyramid.

To read the post above, following mine, makes it seems pointed that way... and if so I take it as virtually an insult.

Lorraine1100

It is not so much endings that I have an issue with at all - I have had some good endings wrapping up on a high in fact. It is more about how those few endings came about and I guess seeing the World card as a good ending when actually what transpired was anything but.

Maybe, when I looked at the card as a final outcome last year I felt relief, a kind of thinking of 'well hey it's going to end okay because I have the World card right?' Well, no because as it turned out it was an awful ending.

Maybe - and I will be honest here - I am really hard on the World card and see it's negatives when others see something else, but really when you have been on the end of the World card and not had the happy as hoped for ending it kind of really leaves a 'bitter taste in your mouth'.

Eight months on from that situaton I can see little redemption at all to that card. Others have pointed out in the past on here that it has brought about the end of a long standing relationship/marriage. That may be good for one partner, but what about the other one - especially those who have sought the reading - who were not expecting this at all?

I am trying to throw a different angle to you all with regard to the World card. My whole point and argument is that after the trauma that Death and the 10 of pentacles left in their wake, why did the World -seen as something of a light at the end of the proverbial tunnel - be so harsh? It did not need to be, but it was and going forward I am very wary of seeing it in a reading because the bottom line is that I previously looked at this card with rose tinted glasses on, perhaps therein was the lesson for me!

Lorraine1100

I needed to 'dig' this out as sometime ago I did a question on what the 5 of pentacles and World meant. In that reading somebody posed the question about it as well in terms of a relationship but it did not pan out as expected

Just a quick update: the relationship I read for is really over..

I guess I learnt another meaning to the 5 of pents + the world...

Thanx everyone who pitched in! I learn a lot in this forum!

This is my exact point that just because the World comes as a final outcome does not mean that it will end on a high. In this case the relationship ended. I think I have seen the double sided aspect of the World.

nisaba

This is my exact point that just because the World comes as a final outcome does not mean that it will end on a high. In this case the relationship ended. I think I have seen the double sided aspect of the World.

But that might have been in the best interests of everyone. If the relationship hadn't ended, how many years or decades might the couple have been together, both of them in a hell of living-misery? If they were saved from that by breaking up, perhaps it was a positive ending after all.

Lorraine1100

Maybe, Nisaba and I do take your point totally; but the thing is you would think logically and laterally that would be Death or 3 of swords or something along those lines. I just don't see the World card as fitting in with this so my point - and I am not making a good point I know haha - is that this is the negative, flip side of the World card.

When you first start reading the cards you think hey the Lovers, World, Wheel Of Fortune, Empress etc all those really good solid cards will bring it in on time and give you the happy ending. It isn't though is it? That is kind of what maes me so mad with the World card because it has this dual aspect. I think break ups can be a good thing, but most - the majority - of people from those relationships do walk away with a twinge of sadness that it didn't work out. Yes they can put it behind them of course they can but there is always some kind of reflection and looking back and that does not chime with the World card.

Does this kind of make sense?

Thoughtful

l have already posted here my thoughts on the World card (2nd post) and that l do not see it as negative.
Would like to show the meaning here from The Victorian Fairy Tarot.

"Something significant has been completed in your life. Take time to understand the lessons you have learned along the way and recognize how far you have travelled. Contemplate and release the past, and embrace the future with a heart full of joy. The meanings here are completion, wholeness, seeing the pattern of life, connection with the world."

Although your journey has been fraught bless you and you cannot see any joy for the future l feel the World card holds out the hope when we can only see despair. Its about starting out over again and finding that connection with life again.

Lorraine1100

"Something significant has been completed in your life. Take time to understand the lessons you have learned along the way and recognize how far you have travelled. Contemplate and release the past, and embrace the future with a heart full of joy. The meanings here are completion, wholeness, seeing the pattern of life, connection with the world."

Although your journey has been fraught bless you and you cannot see any joy for the future l feel the World card holds out the hope when we can only see despair. Its about starting out over again and finding that connection with life again.

The issue is more sanguine in so far as that the World spoke of completion for me at that juncture. It was however, not completion in the sense that it ended on a good note. If it was hope then surely that would have been the Star! The thing is there was no completion, no wholeness and zero connection with the World at all when it came into fruition. In fact my World had come to a crashing end at that juncture and eight months on I am still fumbling about trying to find the meaning of it, why it happened and where I go from here. So, in a sense I did not achieve 'closure' at all, but a sense of serious loss that has compounded it further for the last eight months.

I just cannot see, feel, recollect and experience what others on here have with the World card because my direct experience of it has been nothing but shambolic. In fact this card has left me feeling and thinking shall I remove it from the deck and just do my readings without it!! That sounds awful I know, but everytime this World card has come up, something bad always without fail happens.

I am sorry for this coming across as being negative, but I would be a liar to say that the World card is roses and tinsel when it is anything but. Its about honesty and integrity and I cannot ignore something so totally glaring that the World card has a dangerous edge. For me it was a terrible time, truly awful and I cannot comprehend extolling the virtues of this card to someone when it has the potential for something more serious afoot.

If this card is about endings and completion, which I don't doubt it is, then we should look at what the true ramifications of those endings really are. Will it leave a bitter taste in the mouth or will it end on a positive note? The only clue in that, is as I have said all the way along, that the surrounding cards will tell you how it is likely to 'pan' out.

The last couple of days I have had the Death card out and about again, I will tell you this, I would rather have that than the World card any day of the week, at least I can count on something coming to a final abrupt end and finding completion and closure, rather than dragging something out where it has no end in sight. The laurel wreathand the lemiscate of the red bands is perhaps fitting, no begining and no end and for me it has no ending or at least not yet.

GotH

Here's fun example of how the World meant kaputz to me. Nothing major but interesting.

Back around Christmas time, Nabisco came up with a new idea. Gingerbread flavored Oreo Cookies. I like gingerbread and I like Oreos so I thought why not, I would give it a try. On one of the game threads here I asked how I would like them. I tried them out before coming back to the answer that was given. The cookies were freaking disgusting! :mad: The answer given was... World, I would think the WORLD of them. :rolleyes: NOT.

kalliope

This thread has had me thinking a lot about the World card! I have to admit, I'm one of those who maybe puts a happy spin on it. :neutral: I usually see it as completion in the sense of achieving a goal, finally having something as a whole that you've been working towards. You will have accomplished what you've set out to do, or have fruition of all your efforts, good or bad. The culmination of a project or process, which often, but not always, implies that it's at a high point, complete point, or fulfilled point. It might be the end of a cycle, sure, but not an ending in the way that I see Death as an ending, at least not by itself.

For instance, if I were to ask about a relationship, I wouldn't see The World meaning that it would end. I'd think that something actively worked on in the relationship will be achieved, or that the current phase will be coming to a close, whatever that phase is. Although, if someone's been "working hard" at destroying their relationship, it might mean that the obvious conclusion of a separation is about to follow.

But, I suppose that if it came up for me enough times to signify a true ending I might change my tune.