Why do you buy Tarot's?

a_shikhs

I buy tarot decks to use them. Im not much of a collector and have a very limited collection. :)

connegrl

Really, I only want 2 or 3 decks to use. Problem is I keep buying decks that I think will be great only to find that I don't like them. Of course, Umbrae is also an enabler and makes me want things I can't afford!

Jen

The Hanged Man

connegrl said:
Problem is I keep buying decks that I think will be great only to find that I don't like them.

I know what you mean, same here. That's the good thinga about AT. I don't have to 'buy blind' anymore. Y'know? When you go in shops but you can't look at all the cards in the deck because they are wrapped in cellophane, and the shopkeeper won't let you open them, so you have to judge the book by the cover and hope for the best, and then you discover they're just not for you.

Grizabella

For me, I went through two tarot acquiring stages. (I say "acquire" because I also trade, I don't always buy.)

The first one was when I was brand new and kept thinking "the one" was out there somewhere. I think I had the mistaken idea that my inability to read the cards was the fault of the decks I was getting.

Then I finally wised up, got the RWS deck even though I disliked the art work intensely, put in the time and effort to really learn it, and now I acquire decks I know I can read with based on that system. If I ever branch out to Thoth or some other deck, I'll be prepared to just settle in and learn for awhile before deciding I can't use it.

Sheri

Originally posted by closrapexa:
I see Tarot decks like books, or anything else that gives me pleasure. I don't believe that there isn "one" deck, just as I don't think that there is "one" book that I will always enjoy. Every deck speaks to me in a different language, some softer, some harsher. And of course, for sheer love of the art.

Well put! I have around 20 decks and I read with all of them. I believe I will always add to my collection, not for the sake of adding to the collection but because there is something about the new deck that is different from the others. I doubt that I will ever have a substantial or large collection because of this, however I don't think there is a problem with people who choose to have really big collections either. My mom collects playing cards, dolls and salt/pepper shakers, and she doesn't use any of them. At least we can use and interact with our collections if we choose to.

valeria

Fulgour

Go figure?

If I were to write me as a character in a novel
it would be as someone who collected Tarots~
and I'd just let the reader work out the details.

sapienza

FaeryGodmother said:
Hmmm. This may sound a bit silly, but I buy new decks because I feel new decks are "truer". When I first buy a deck (and possibly book set) for the first few months of use I get a little thrill of "hey yeah that is so true". Whereas I tend to (at least when reading for myself) go "oh yeah I know what that means, yeah I know why that there," and not look to deeply into the decks I know really well. I think its got something to do with exploring the new imagery and meanings of new decks. Now, this doesn't happen when I read for others because i need to look at the images and think about how that fits the person I'm reading for and their situation. In such cases I tend to read with deck I'm very familiar with. But for myself, I need to challenge the preconcieved ideas I have about what an individual card means to me.

I absolutely agree! It's so easy to make assumptions with decks that we are familiar with, but interacting with something new, even if we don't really love it, can provide wonderful insights.

Rosanne

I buy Tarot decks for many reasons- the main one is to read with them. I like the Art, the history, the philosophy, the collecting, the excitement, the new thoughts, the study, the friends they bring, the help they give..... and thats just for starters. I have about 15 that I use all the time for reading, but I enjoy them all and the ones that have been a mistake for me I have given them away to where they are not a mistake. ~Rosanne

NightQueen

When i choose to but a tarot deck i do with the intention to read with them at least a few times, but ofcourse i have great satisfaction from visual stimulation particularily from artistic decks when i look at the cards i get lost in their beauty and i enjoy reading diffenert meanings for different decks

Sheri

Originally posted by Fulgour:
If I were to write me as a character in a novel
it would be as someone who collected Tarots~
and I'd just let the reader work out the details.

That was GREAT! :D