Wildwood Tarot

Carla

Wendywu said:
For a gut-wrenching insight into how-it-was (teeth, claws, dirt and all) - meditate with Tarot of the Origins .....

Wow, Wendy, I just had a look at some images online. Powerful!

Carla

Wendywu said:
For a gut-wrenching insight into how-it-was (teeth, claws, dirt and all) - meditate with Tarot of the Origins .....

Wow, Wendy, I just had a look at some images online. Powerful! ETA: Oh, of course it's OOP!

Hemera

Okay, maybe I´m a bit thick or something but really *really* love this deck. To me it speaks volumes... But what do I know..

Sulis

Moderator note

Could we please keep this thread to a discussion of The Wildwood Tarot?

Please start a new thread if other decks are being discussed.

Thanks,

Sulis - Tarot Decks co-moderator

Hemera

Carla said:
I don't think any contemporary pagan would 'last 15 minutes in the pre-Celtic forest'.´
I think a lot of people live in such places very close to the Nature even today and they are doing just fine. Probably much better than suburbans..

Carla said:
Paganism certainly romanticises the natural world, so it's no surprise to see that expressed in the art and writing of pagans--all pagan decks do that.
This may be the case with Central European Paganism but what I know of Nordic Paganism (Norway, Sweden, Finland) is different IMO. There´s still some real wilderness left up here (-though not for long, I´m afraid) and so there´s no need to romanticise it.

Wendywu said:
I don´t know... I tried using this deck for a long time but I find it too violent, bloody and especially human-centered to be of much use. It´s kind of like how much watching a film of childbirth (blood and all) differs from the real experience. They are worlds apart.

ETA: Sorry Sulis, we cross posted..I won´t mention other decks any more:)

Wendywu

Oh I definitely think the Wildwood has merit! I just wish it had been introduced as a derivative, and not with an implication that it is a re-issue or re-vamping of the Greenwood. As an independent deck it is good and I'm not sorry I got it. Certainly I can see that some people will pick it as the deck they want me to read for them with and I shall be happy to do so :)

And Hemera - your opinion is interesting, is valued and doesn't deserve to be put in tiny little letters!

Nina*

Hemera said:
Okay, maybe I´m a bit thick or something but really *really* love this deck. To me it speaks volumes... But what do I know..
Yay! Ditto!

Debra

It seems that some are inclined to dislike this deck as a "pretender" to the long out-of-print Greenwood.

I don't understand the criticisms of the collaborators on the Wildwood as unfair to Cheska Potter.

Both the Greenwood tarot and the Celtic Shaman's Pack oracle were collaborative ventures. Maybe Cheska "could have" done these projects all by herself. But she didn't, did she.

We've heard that she refuses to authorize further printings of her cards. Let's assume this is true.

If so, in my opinion, she has betrayed her former collaborators (Mark Ryan on the Greenwood, and John Matthews on the Celtic Shaman's Pack).

These people worked on the decks and books, too, but they can't "do" anything with their work because she says no. It seems perfectly reasonable for them to take what they've done already and, with the aid of a new artist, forge a new collaboration based on their original work.

This deck is getting so much attention partly because the original Greenwood is now so highly valued. The nit-picking about the wording of the publicity seems misplaced. Outrage, outrage over a few words? I don't think it's fair to criticize them for referring back to their original work just because Cheska Potter decided to take her marbles and go home. Some of those marbles belonged to Mark Ryan from the start.

Ryan, Matthews and Worthington are a new team. They are not exploiting poor Cheska Potter and her work. They're building on the work they've done for years. It's too bad for both her former collaborators and tarot lovers that Cheska doesn't want any more printed, but if her refusal to agree moved these guys to develop their concepts in a more accessible form, I say more power to 'em.

So that's my two cents. :)

Wendywu

And I do agree with you Debra :).

I just really wish the images weren't quite so obviously, to put it in music terms, covers of the originals (in so many cases). If Will Worthington had been free to do his own thing and produce whatever images the written works of Mark Ryan and John Matthews words evoked in him, and been free to use the more familiar style of art that we expect from him, then I wonder if the result would have been different?

But like I say - I totally agree that it is their right to do this, and in that light I understand that from their point of view this is a form of re-issue.

I have sitters who I know will want me to use it for them where they might not want the Greenwood, and that's fine by me :)