Skeptical

Deus Ex Machina

In order to believe something, I need some sort of scientific explanation - not proof, just a vague explanation that says 'its possible.' Either that, or I have to instinctually feel that something is real, it just has to click. Astrology never 'clicked' for me. I don't have a gut feeling that tells me it works. However, I did have a vague scientific explanation that allowed me to have some belief in Astrology. Mainly, that we know each planet and star has its own magnetic 'resonance' which DOES reach earth, and which could concievably affect the brain. Afterall, the moon does affect the tides, and likely has a major psychological effect on humans. This idea that the magnetic resonance of planets affects the human mind at (or before) birth, and thus creates the personality types of astrology seemed to make sense to me - especially after listening to recordings of each planet's frequency taken by NASA. But a few days ago, I was thinking about astrology after buying a book on the subject for a friend, and realized that my explanation had a major hole in it. Sure, the resonance of the planets may contribute to determining part of the personality, but the effect of such a resonance would be miniscule compared to the effects of a person's genetics, their upbringing, what food their mom ate while pregnant, and don't forget all of the other sorts of radio-waves and signals which now fill the air in the modern age. Suddenly, the explanation I had created is gone, and without an explanation or a gut feeling, I simply cannot believe. If anyone has any argument for astrology that might persuade me otherwise, please share it.

Minderwiz

Why do you need 'scientific proof' for belief? Science is only one way of looking at the world - a materialist way of cause and effect. Yet even science has admitted that there are somethings that are difficult to explain. Moreover there is a long history of scientists refusing to look at the evidence for all sorts of things - shifting the orthodox view in science is difficult.

There's a good book by Geoffery Cornelius called 'Moment of Astrology' in which he makes out a very good case for Astrology as a means of divination - not a science. That is not to devalue it but to revalue it - it's a different order of things than science.

isthmus nekoi

I'm w/Minderwiz here to an extent. My 2 cents worth:

When you really really start trying to wonder about how any of this business - tarot, astrology etc - works, you start running into one of the basic splits in Western discourse b/w Mind and Matter. Way too complex an issue to get into here, but I would look into debates and how many different cultures and philosophical schools have explored the split, relationship, union (or lack of division!!) etc of the material and phenomenological mind before putting all of one's chips into the Western scientific paradigm. It's worth trying to wrap your head around b/c your understanding of the relationship b/w mind and body effectively colours the way you understand responsibility, free will, and a whole myriad of really really fundementally (sp?) important issues that we tap into when we divinate. To be honest, I never truly understood any of this stuff except when I was half awake but it's worth the mental effort :p

dadsnook2000

Another reason . . .

I've been studying, using and teaching astrology for over thirty years. The bottom line is that IT WORKS. It works within the bounds of what it can do and what it is. In my experience I only had one instance in which I wondered why it didn't work -- then I discovered it was my own limitations that had gotten in the way.

I had a daughter that was born within a couple hours of a Solar Eclipse. Everyone knows that this often signifies one who lacks initiative, tends to quietude, seems to have a low level of energy, etc. This was generally true. However, I had a difficult time doing any predictive work with her charts -- she seemed to be unaffected by astrology other than in the most general way. Then I discovered that her life could be read using a full-moon chart with her birth chart -- whatever planet in the full moon chart triggered her birth chart signified what was happening in her life.

The point is that everyone can resonate to certain components of "astrology" but not necessarily everything. Its a complex subject but, be most assured, it really works. Dave.

Red Emma

Astrological skeptic

I had Deus's feelings until a friend of mine printed out a yearly "return" for me quite a while back. In it were several events which my friend did not know about. Especially remarkable was the return's information about the fact that, when I was very young, I had spent several years with a family which was not my own. There were other things in it about my past life which reduced my skeptical reserves way down to, 'I'll be damned. Well, maybe. HHhhmmm. Worth looking into.'

In addition, since my graduate work is in Urban Affairs-City-Planning-Public Policy stuff, I learned several research methods in additon to the standard scientific method. When one's tracking such things as population movement, a neighborhood's reaction to potential policy changes and the like, one needs alternate methods of measurement.

For instance, I recently saw the movie, "Never Cry Wolf" -- or maybe, "Don't Cry Wolf -- in which a biologist-type scientist was sent into the Alaskan wilds to identify the source of food for wolf packs in the area. Since cariboo herds were diminishing, the public policy makers wanted to know if wolves were responsible. The biologist lived in the area, by himself, for several months while he investigated the concept.

Anyhow, subsequent astrological yearly returns have pretty much convinced me that someone, somewhere is keeping track of my life. Can even project it. Since I believe in a benevolent God/Goddess/Spirit I don't feel intimidated by it. I keep hoping I'll find the time and the energy to study astrology myself, but it hasn't happened yet.

oceanpoetry

my 2 cents

If you do any study of quantum physics at all, then you realize that the physical world is not as it seems - the nature of reality is stranger that we can imagine. Small particles photographed in 2-places at the same time ...and that nothing is really solid, at the sub-atomic level there is only space, an idea.

How does this affect astrology? I believe, according to theoretical physics, we live in a "holographic universe. " Tarot and astrology both are allow us to access the collective unconscious - and read what the external world tells about the internal world. I think anything could be used to access this realm, reading tea leaves, toothpicks, the weather.

Tarot and astrology, however, have centuries of knowledge and study behind them, passed down from generation to generation. They allow us a beautiful, elegant and metaphorical "way in" to this realm of spirit.

For all the years I have studied astrology I am still astounded by his accuracy. Astrology tells a story about our lives and our world. It shows us where there is "energy" in our lives, it reveals the lessons we have learn - it is like having a map to see where we are and where we are going.

You don't have to "believe" in astrology for it to work. I encourage you to at least give astrology a chance to see what surprises and truth it might reveal for you!

Livia

I have started thinking of things in terms of many realities, and more than one truth. It seems since I came to this decision/conclusion I have greatly relaxed. People now say things like nothing upsets me (which really isn't true) because of this attitude change. When I go through my chart it seems I am almost a cliche. it has helped me, however when I do it with my husband it doesn't click as well. Perhaps it just works/influences some more than others...or perhaps it is my limited skill in the subject, or even the particular reference material I am using