200 £ for a Sheridan deck!

coredil

I just followed an auction on e.bay for the Sheridan deck.
I would soooo much get one!
But at this price!
I wonder if one get "special" answers when reading on such an expensive deck.
Uups ... I was cynical, sorry.

Well I will have to go back to my selfmade b&w Sheridan and maybe try to print the color scans I have from Sheridan pictures.

Maybe I also should ak me: Why do I want to have this deck?

Lillie

Yeah, I watched it too.
I was surprised it went so high.

There had been a lot of questions asked, and one of them really got me thinking.
Recently I noticed that the sun on my fool card was a different colour to one on the net. and I was wondering about that.
Anyhow, the question on that auction asked about the backs of the cards, and from the answer it appeared that they were a plain dark blue or purple.
Now that is weird, cos mine are most definatly a mottled purple/white colour.
It also gave 2 different addresses where mine has only one.

So, can I ask, anyone who has this deck.
What colour is the backs?
What colour is the sun on the fool card?

I am mighty puzzled by this.
And mighty curious.

I was lucky and got this deck for very little, which is why I have it. I couldn't spend £200.
But I'd like to say that it does not read better for me than any other deck.
The dog on the 7 disks is the cutest thing I have ever seen, but anyone who spends a quid on the book can enjoy that.
Mostly it's pretty ugly

It's like any other deck.
I'll never own a greenwood, I'll never own any of the other rare/expensive decks.
Part of me would love too.
Part of me would love to have every deck that has ever been published. But it's not going to happen.
So I just enjoy the ones I've got, and keep my eye open for bargains, and pretty decks that I can afford.

So, anyone with one of these. What colour is the back?

Jeannette

To be honest, I've never quite understood the massive appeal of the Sheridan-Douglas deck, either. I mean, it's very nice -- but there's nothing superior about it along any dimension (art, symbolism, etc.), either, IMO.

Yet we continually -- CONTINUALLY -- get inquiries about it at Tarot Garden through our search service. Sometimes from people saying that they're so desperate to find it that they're practically begging for it.

But it's extremely rare that we even run across one. I think we've had three copies of the Sheridan-Douglas through in 4-1/2 years.

So, £200 is basically "market price" for the deck. Supply and demand. Review your Economics 101 notes and the selling price is no mystery.

-- Jeannette
The Tarot Garden

Lillie

Wow.

I'm hanging on to mine.
It's an investment for my old age!

It's ugly.
No two ways about that.
And the art is almost devoid of anything but the most basic symbolism. Mostly because the art is so totally simplistic.

To anyone that wants to see it, I would say get the book.
You can get it for a quid.
There is nothing in the actual deck that is not in the line drawings.

It's not the same as having the deck, and I know it's fine for me to say cos I have it, I'm just saying that the pics are all there for anyone who wants to see them.

There's some interesting ones. Mostly in the minor arcana.

OakDragon

*looks up the deck on Tarot Garden*

THAT is going for 200 pounds?! Ohhhhhhhhhhhhh k. Ummm.... some people have too much money! lol.

Emeraldgirl

OakDragon said:
*looks up the deck on Tarot Garden*

THAT is going for 200 pounds?! Ohhhhhhhhhhhhh k. Ummm.... some people have too much money! lol.

2nd that one but I'd like to see the cute doggy. maybe it;s so cute it makes up for the rest of the deck?????????????????????????????????

Oh well not my style but I guess stranger things have gone for extreme prices

roppo

Once I owned the deck but I gave it as a gift to someone -- I don't remember his name, in truth his or her I'm not sure...
The only thing I can remember about the deck is that it was very sticky and difficult to shuffle, which was the reason I threw it away, perhaps.

Simply I cannnot understand those who'd willing to pay 200 pounds for it!

gregory

I have it; it is very sticky and hard to shuffle, and the backs are plain purple....

Sophie

coredil said:
I wonder if one get "special" answers when reading on such an expensive deck.
Maybe you get answers like: "beware the fortune hunters"; or "this guy is just interested in you for your expensive tarot decks." :D

NightWing

Beyond Reason or Means

As much as I wouldn't mind a Sheridan deck for the "historical" interest, I cannot imagine paying that kind of price for it. All a matter of personal taste and financial means, isn't it? I guess I'll stick with my more common and aesthetically pleasing deck choices!