200 £ for a Sheridan deck!

Alfred Douglas

Clearing up some mysteries

Gosh! I've just read this thread for the first time, and I'm amazed at the attention people pay to the smallest detail. So, let's see if I can clarify a few points.

I wrote my book 'The Tarot: The Origins, Meaning and Uses of the Cards' between 1968 and 1971. It was first published in hardback in 1972, by Victor Gollancz in London and Taplinger in New York. Penguin published paperback editions in both the UK and the US in 1973 (the copyright page in both Penguin editions is incorrect, giving the date of the Gollancz edition as 1973 instead of 1972).

David Sheridan created 78 black and white drawings, to my instructions, to illustrate the book. He then coloured these drawings using flat sheets of Letracolour, cut to follow the contours of the drawings, using a scalpel. The idea was to produce a 'stained glass' effect, echoing the early woodcut Tarots.

We couldn't find a playing card manufacturer to produce a deck based on our designs, so relied on a general printer in London. The cards were laminated to give them a durable finish. That made them stiff.

The book went to press before the cards were ready, and we wanted to include a 'plug' for the cards in the book. A friend had a company called Moralice (London) Ltd, with offices in Fleet Street. He said we could put the name and address of his company in the book, and he would forward any mail that arrived for us. Moralice had no other connection with our Tarot deck.

We set up our own company, Mandragora Press, to publish the cards. The postcode WC2N 4EY appears on the original carton, so must have been in use, at least in Central London, in 1972.

Both hardback and paperback editions display two cards - The Fool and The Papess - on the front cover. It has been noted that the colours of these cards differ from those in the actual deck. This is because when the Art Director at Victor Gollancz wanted to reproduce two cards on the dust jacket the actual cards were not then ready and so I listed the colours that would be used on each card. The cards on the book covers were coloured by whoever designed the book jacket at Gollancz. So they didn't match the printed versions.

The backs of the cards were plain purple, except for the final print run where they were changed to a purple/white mottled pattern.

coredil

Wow!
What marvellous informations for the "collector folk" :)
Again thanks a lot for these details Mr Douglas.
Though I never could get the deck I am a proud owner of the Victor Gollancz edition from 1972 with the mauve dust jacket.

Just imagine one of the TdM creator would come back and tell us such details.
That would be much fun!

Lillie

Thank you!

I have been wondering that stuff for ages.

Now I know that my 'peculiar' deck is real, not some dodgy pirate copy from who knows where!

And now I know what Moralice had to do with everything. (not a lot!)

It's great to hear this stuff from you. Thank you for answering our questions.
It's a lovely deck, and I hope this reprint does well for you.

Alfred Douglas

Far out...

Someone in another thread has written that one of the Knaves in the Sheridan Douglas Tarot resembles the comic book character, 'The Riddler', which I find interesting.

Back in the 60s and 70s both David Sheridan and I were fans of Marvel Comics such as 'Spiderman', 'Doctor Strange', and 'The Silver Surfer', featuring the work of artists such as Jack Kirby, Steve Ditko and Steve Buscema. So it is quite possible that the '60s comic book style influenced David when he was working on our Tarot cards.

I've just dusted off a few old Marvel comics from the bottom of a filing cabinet, and found amongst them examples of another major cultural influence at the time, 'The Fabulous Furry Freak Brothers (and Fat Freddy's Cat)'.

Now the weird thing, which I've never noticed before, is this:

Each Freak Brothers comic bears a copyright notice by the artist, GIlbert Shelton. But one of them states, 'Copyright 1975 © Gilbert Shelton & Dave Sheridan'.

Definitely not our David Sheridan - so there must be another one out there.

As we would undoubtedly have said at the time, "Outta sight, man!"

Lillie

I've seen some stuff, occassionally, on ebay.
Old stuff from the 60's or 70's. And it's either posters, or record covers, or something like that.
And the artist is named as Dave Sheridan.

I always wondered if it was the same one.

I suppose it was the other one you mention.

Spooky world.

coredil

Alfred Douglas said:
Now the weird thing, which I've never noticed before, is this:

Each Freak Brothers comic bears a copyright notice by the artist, GIlbert Shelton. But one of them states, 'Copyright 1975 © Gilbert Shelton & Dave Sheridan'.

Definitely not our David Sheridan - so there must be another one out there.

As we would undoubtedly have said at the time, "Outta sight, man!"
What a revelation!
Some months ago I tried to find some informations on David Sheridan and quickly found the name Dave Sheridan associated to the Fabulous Freak Brothers.
As I was young in the seventiees they were very well known in France. One could find their comics in the underground paper "Actuel".
So I really wondered if it could be the same Dave Sheridan and I even tried to compare the style of the cards with some pictures I still have from the Fabulous Freak brothers to see if there was any similitude.
I could not really find something!

I am very glad now to know :)

Lillie

Hey Coredil.

Both my decks are real!

wanna buy one for a ridiculous, outrageous price?

Or are you going to wait for the reprint? :)

agedog1

Thanks for posting this thread. I've had this deck for awhile sitting in the collection so I can put a value on it as of May 2006 of $350.00 us dollars - right? Asking because my insurance comes up on the 5th of June this year and I need to prepare for Hurricane season again (YUCH) getting values up to date.

Thanks

Umbrae

agedog1 said:
...sitting in the collection so I can put a value on it as of May 2006 of $350.00 us dollars - right?
Wrong. As soon as the reprint hits, the value will reach near parity with the new printing value - as supply meets demand. The Value Premium given it based upon it being an earlier print will diminish to near zero. (this is opinion based upon the factual historical pricing trends of past rereleases).

coredil

Lillie said:
Hey Coredil.

Both my decks are real!

wanna buy one for a ridiculous, outrageous price?

Or are you going to wait for the reprint? :)
Hello Lillie,

not sure how much you are joking ;)
First I am glad for you that your doubts about the authenticity of your decks are now blown away.
And second, would you believe it, for a "good" price I would really still want to buy one of your deck even if I will also buy the new reprint.
You know I am a collector and though I am now mostly interested in TdM, I still love the Douglas-Sheridan deck ... and vintage stays vintage.

BTW (sorry to be OT) the Oak pentacle on my table cant wait to soon get a companion ;)