World Tarot Day

nisaba

World Tarot Day is coming up on the 25th May. coincidentally, World Towel Day, celebrating Arthur Dent and his towel from the Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy, is coming up on the same day. Hitchhikers' afficionadoes the world over will be carrying their towels with them, visibly, for the whole day, on public transport, at work, etc.

I plan on celebrating both days in style. I plan on carrying my Towel - and at some stage, in full view of the passing public, pulling out a Tarot deck and doing a reading on my Towel.

Do I have company in this noble intention?

stefficus

indeed you do. us froody, prescient dudes must stick together. ;)

nisaba

<laughter> Steff, I live in the warmth of our long-distance friendship. This is indeed a Good Thing. <pours djinnantonyx to celebrate>.

stefficus

my very favorite spelling! :laugh:

i do think we can agree that rendering our readings into vogon poetry is going TOO far.

this should be interesting... i've never had my cards out around here except at work or when everyone else was, to be honest, rather drunk, and i ALWAYS have to explain my geek t-shirts. with any luck, nobody in town will ever speak to me again. :D

Seafra

This Calls For A Tarot Towel !!! :D Does anyone know where one might exist? Am going googling now ....

All I have found are sites where people are throwing in the towel when it comes to tarot. Sadness.

nisaba

<cackle> I've already picked out my Towel. It's a slightly threadbare, very faded one, as befits a Towel on a one-way trip around the galaxy. My plan is, in the month before the Great Day, to use it exclusively to towel myself down after showers and hang it up to air and dry off - but in that whole month NOT to launder it at all!

By then, it should be getting slightly grubby from skin-oils etc (I'll, of course, be using deodorant). I calculate that in a month it will look like a Space Towel. As on one or two previous World Towel Days, it will travel the whole day draped over my left shoulder, casually but conspicuously. Then, with a flourish, I will flick it down, spread it out and pull out a deck, possibly in a cafe or if there is absolutely no wind, in a park. Certainly around maximum people.

Hey! I might even take a sign offering readings-by-donation, to be passed on to the charity of my current choice! The proviso will be that in every single reading, I'll have to find a pretext to say, in the vocal equivalent of large, comforting letters, "Don't Panic". (Or, perhaps, "mostly harmless").

Towel Readings could become a minor tradition.

I'm insane enough to make it work.

nisaba

stefficus said:
and i ALWAYS have to explain my geek t-shirts.
<grin> A friend of mine, very much younger than I am but going out with a bloke about my age, just had a special tee-shirt custom-printed to deflect the negative energy she's been getting: it says:

HELP!
I'm a 53yo woman
trapped in a 23yo body!

TherionHowl

World Towel Day and World Tarot Day on May 25th. I'm asking for that day off work.

gregory

I might read IN THE BATH, with a towel on the side..... I have a few beach towels with fish on - BABELFISH, of course; the Salmons of Doubt....

flying black kat

stefficus said:
when everyone else was, to be honest, rather drunk, and i ALWAYS have to explain my geek t-shirts. with any luck, nobody in town will ever speak to me again. :D

Stefficus:

I know how you feel, most of my neighbors think that I am the nicest, scariest psycho person that they have meant. This is what my postman neighbor who lives down the street, told another neighbor. Needless to say they leave me alone.

Be at Peace.

Kathy