LS Shaman Tarot

Aerin

I'm starting a thread because I think the deck is really interesting - I notice Lillie posted about it on the LS 2010 thread.

I love the idea that it isn't tied to one particular brand of shamanism but rather looks across the piece.

Here's amazon's picture http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/images/0738720739/ref=dp_image_z_0?ie=UTF8&n=283155&s=books

The Four of Drums/ Pentacles in the centre of the image is interesting with the modern city showing through the doorway.

I believe that this is a deck that will reward some study as against one that I just "get" straight away.

Lillie

There are a lot of cards like that, which include aspects of the 'real world'.

It's a really interesting deck, and I think the idea behind it is that shamanism is part of everyone everywhere, loads of different people and different traditions and different places.

It's well interesting.

Aerin

I like interesting.

Maybe this is a deck that a study group would help.

Shade

I really like the direction of making the deck about shamanic practice and power and not focused on trying to focus too closely on individual cultures. Hopefully that will keep the deck out of the realm of spiritual acquisitiveness that often gets brought up around native themed decks.

RiccardoLS

Shade said:
spiritual acquisitiveness

acquisitiveness?
(I'm not really sure of what the word is. Bad English me :( )

thorhammer

I think Shade's referring to the tendency in the past couple of decades for the new age movement to "acquire", adopt, pilfer . . . the spiritual practices of a particular given culture. I think it was particularly obvious in the case of Native Americans (and no doubt that's an un-PC term now, sorry. I don't know the right one). But South-East Asian culture has suffered this as well, with Indian-style Buddha statues gracing probably millions of gardens and entertaining areas throughout the Western World.

\m/ Kat

BTW - your English is, as always, wonderful. At the very least . . . it is infinitely better than my Italian ;)

RiccardoLS

Ah, I understand.

OT: asking myself is spiritual acquisitiveness is indeed innatural.
Yes, we simplify... we are in a pills society, where even idea are reduced to pills. But the world is smaller... so much smaller than it ever was. And we need a common landscape. In so doing we destroy, but still we create...
(a much bigger topic than can be discussed. Just asking myself, anyway).

Hedera

Hmmm, not sure about this one.

I have been looking for a Shamanic deck, but this one looks to be more *about* shamans than intended *for* shamans, or shamanic use.

At least not more so than any tarot deck would be anyway.

I like what I can see of the artwork, though.

Shade

RiccardoLS said:
OT: asking myself is spiritual acquisitiveness is indeed innatural.

I should have given more context to what I was saying Riccardo, I think you are right spiritual acquisitiveness is natural and not at all new. Ancient cultures borrowed and adopted gods quite often. There are ways to do it sensitively and those ways seem to be getting more popular as time goes by.

I like that the deck seems to be about the energetic experience of shamanism; I definitely plan to get one.

RiccardoLS

Your observation, as usually, is absolutely keen.
And it's something one cannot but face when even thinking about themed decks. Not for this thread, but it's a most interesting argument.