78 Weeks: Bateleur / Magician

nicky

Originally Posted by valis
"Now, does this concept of the Mage-As-Trickster come from tradition and symbology, or am I just simply not tuned in to something vital?"

A Magician transforms things. Perhaps, if the Magician used his tools with no higher purpose, without the arm up as it were, then he would fall under the label of trickster.

just a thought,
Nicky

nicky

Oh and btw.. I am incredably new at posting on this site, so please bear with me. I may need some basic clues with this stuff (as in putting the quotes in and pics etc)

sorry ... I know I am off topic, but I wanted to ask on card 1 before you all killed me after 77 more LOL !

challanged but hopeful,
Nicky

coyoteblack

Deck DruidCraft
Card Magician

Description: An older man looks like he is in his 60’s, he has pot belly and white balding hair. He has a very intense look on his face. His garb is gray robe and a cloak of raven feathers .He has a white feather that looks like it comes from an ear ring or hangs from a head band . He is absolutely bedecked in esoteric jewelry. He stands in a traditional “As above so below “stance with a wand in his upper right hand. He also has a bag partially hidden by his cloak hanging from his right side.
He stands at one of the standing stones (could be stone hedge) on the stone slab in front of him is the symbols of the 4 elements to his left and behind him is a rooster. Gray is the dominant color the sky looks like it is dawn with the sun starting to rise behind him.

Impression: Stepping inside the card the impression I have is powerful intensity, humility, wisdom from experience , Manifest destiny.
Looking out side the card getting the overall impression everything seems to be on the edge , boarder of some thing he him self seem to be a portal between esoteric and mundane. The card is one big doorway shown in many different ways. I also get the impression that this card is like the cobra before it strikes or the wave before it hits or right before !@#$%

Number, Suit, Element

Number 1: Beginnings, new possibilities, inspiration
This card is all about possibilities new things that can happen with access to all that energy and Knowledge the world is his oyster
Suit: NA
Element Air according to 21 ways to read a tarot by Mary K Greer
This guy know about many things and air is about mental gymnastics this guy is wise also he gets a bad rep for being tricky but that is only because he preserves the pattern to he knows how to manipulate it. He is the master of manipulation.
I am a little confused with this card because I always thought it was his indomitable will power that made things happen or I am guessing it is his will power controlled/focused by his mental prowess.

Meanings and Symbols
The deepest esoteric symbols are his jewelry that he wears on his body they all in some way talk about duality. this guy is more of a shaman-druid then a trickster. He is not only at the portal in the standing stones he is a portal. The 4 elements on the table in front of him talk of his mastery of the physical he creates what he needs he does not wait for things to happen. The Rooster in the back round I believe talks of that male aggressive force. All the gray in this card talks about the middle ground the “ in between”
I think being and older wizened man is about him earning his keep he did the work to get here and did all the foot work to get here.

Conversations with the card
I asked him if he was tired holding his hands that was he said he was in divine extacy he reminded me of a few things. he is like a combination of all the aces he has all this power but I think little choice of what happens it is the devine that provides the direction. Also if you do not count the 0 or 21 the cards start off with the oldest looking guy and ends with the youngest ( rebirth is a baby).

Putting it all together

Good: This guy makes tings happen he gets his stuff together and then goes about making the stuff happen on directed will power. He walks in both worlds .
Bad: He can develop a tremendous ego. He is also not the best team player. I do not think he would deal well with the curves life throws at you.

Indifferent: he is power, he is the portal between the seen and unseen ,the link between the mundane and esoteric

Whew that was hard , I am kind of using the same format that Jewel is from our study group 21 ways by Mary K Greer. I am focuseing on a step a dat but not limiting my self to it. So sometimes I get a decription on a meditating day or a element meaning on a emotion day. hence the reason I do not have exactly 7 sub titles.

Jewel

coyoteblack said:
I am guessing it is his will power controlled/focused by his mental prowess.
That is my take on him as well.

coyoteblack said:
Conversations with the card
I asked him if he was tired holding his hands that was he said he was in divine extacy he reminded me of a few things. he is like a combination of all the aces he has all this power but I think little choice of what happens it is the devine that provides the direction.
I really like this added perspective. I had not thought of it that way. I do think he has choice, and that is where the whole "magician", "trickster", "manulipulator" labels can come in (see your good & bad sections that is what I am referring to). It is based on his choice what he trully becomes in that moment.

coyoteblack said:
Whew that was hard , I am kind of using the same format that Jewel is from our study group 21 ways by Mary K Greer. I am focuseing on a step a dat but not limiting my self to it. So sometimes I get a decription on a meditating day or a element meaning on a emotion day. hence the reason I do not have exactly 7 sub titles.
How does the saying go, it is not order of the products but the results that count. I really picked up some nice added insights from your post. It is sooooo nice to have a "Study-Budy."

Keavy McGee

The Magician - Golden Tarot

http://goldentarot.com/mamagi.htm

Day One ~ I am studying I The Magician from The Golden Tarot by Kat Black.
Description:
A man with long brown hair and beard is standing against a warm golden background, surrounded by birds and four-legged animals and cliffs and plants. His feet are bare and he is draped in a lovely red cloth. His left hand is raised, open-palmed, and his right hand points downward, two fingers extended in what looks like a peace sign from the 60's. He appears to be communicating with the animals belows him. His gaze is gentle and downward. Before him is a low table with five items - an urn, a cup, a coin, a knife, and a wand. Over his head is a flaming infinity sign. He appears to be so much larger than the table that he is almost god-like, as if he is creating this world of nature and creatures. His body posture is relaxed and his clothes are free flowing.

This card feels very natural and harmonious to me. It evokes St. Francis of Assisi, with the benevolent interaction with the animals. This is the world he has made and he is blessing it.

One thing I noticed is that none of the animals seem to be predators. Unless perhaps the one little fellow below the rabbit is a fox.

Cairbre

flowerpower

Day one - the Magician from Universall Waite

I see a man standing behind a wooden table. He has on a long white robe and a red cape. He has his right hand raised holding an object that I'm not sure of what it is. His left hand is pointing down towards the ground which is covered with wild lillies and roses. On the table there is a wand, sword, cup and pendant. Above his head is the sign of infinity and he seems to have a glow about him and is set against a brilliant yellow background. I get a feeling of peace and enlightment looking at him. I somehow sense he has a specific message to direct me on my journey.

jcwirish

2009 Group. The Golden Tarot- The Magician

A bearded man with a serene expression stands barefoot on a fertile filed of green grass and flowers. He wears a flowing orange robe with brown trim. A table stands before him displaying the tools of the 4 suits, as well as a small water jug. Surrounding the man are a number of birds and animals that are directing all of their attention on him. Floating above his head is the infinity symbol signifying a direct connection between the earthly plane and the spiritual world.

This figure appears to be a rendering of Christ, and he holds his right hand in the traditional gesture of blessing. He is capable of communicating with the animals that have been drawn to him.

This card signifies new beginnings and choices to be made. This Magician understands the link between the two worlds, and thus has the confidence and trust to proceed towards his goals without hesitation. This is the main theme of the Magician for me. It's about knowing you can manifest your dreams through trust and will power. You recognize the powerful influence the universe plays in your world, and you trust in its ability to assist you in achieving you ultimate goals.

You contain all the tools necessary within you, and you are powerful because you understand and control your inherent abilities. You are experiencing great creativity and confidence. All things can be manifested for you at this time. You are self-aware and willing to take risks to make things happen for you.

SarahRacheal

The Magician RWS

These are my thoughts on this card so far; sorry they are a little fragmented.
Red and white robes, Passion tempered with virtue, this man knows his stuff. It is a physical drive for him not an option. He has to work with the energy channelling through him, the red on his outer robe, to me, shows his passion and love for what he does, how he comes across to others and the white is the “inner” him, showing the “pure” or good intentions he has for his work.
The table he works on shows all of his tools, emotions, energy, thought and substance.
With these he can create anything or destroy it as he sees fit- this is part of the issue I have with him, it’s all down to what he sees as fit.
I get the feeling he knows exactly what he is doing, he show total confidence in his ability to deal with the job at hand.
The Ouroboros around his waist separates him from the norm, that is to say he is in the “inner” realm. It shows life continually renewing itself and leads the reader to the Magicians ability to channel energy. The pose he stands in equal to “as above so below” shows us his ability to work his will, he acts as a channel between us and the divine/abyss bringing forward the energy/creativity/ideas. To become the magician means we too can utilise that energy without holding it inside and letting it burn us out. Taking the “nothing” from the void and creating something. This in it’s self could lead us to his ill-defined meanings of trickster and show off. How hard would it be for someone that has had no training or discipline to not abuse that sort of power?

Some more thoughts
Mercury
In myth he is the son of Jupiter, the only God that cam make him atone for his trickery and thievery. His mother was a lesser-known goddess of the clouds, leading him to be unbound by Earth and leaning more towards air and logic. In myths very little I can find shows a maternal influence on Mercury, so in readings I think he needs a “father figure” to help control his mischief., that said he has a silver tongue and will often get away without punishment.
I ended up reading about Promethean and Epimethean Mercury (morning and evening star) This helps me to link him to ruler ship of different astrological signs and therefore the cards linked to them, which helps when he pops up in a reading. Please at this point feel free to correct me if I’m going wrong, I am quite new to linking astrology with tarot. From what I’ve read so far this week The Magician sits well with The Lovers and The Hermit (Gemini and Virgo) but not well with The Moon and Temperance (Pisces and Sagittarius)

Floss

78 Weeks: Magician: RWS, TdM Convos, Alchemical Tarot Renewed

TdM CONVOS

The Magician holds a wand in his left hand, is standing at an oblong shaped table containing what looks like coins, small knives, two cups, abd a blue and yellow bag or pouch (can't quite make it out). He stands on rocky ground, white background behind him - he could easily be up on top of a hill or mountain. This Convos deck has stark white backgrounds for every card. His hat is shaped like a lemniscate or infinity sign. He's looking down, and to his right, with a serious expression. His clothing is colourful, dark blue, pale blue, red and gold/orange. Some small green shrubs are seen near his feet. Red shoes. The wand in his left hand seems to float on his fingers, he doesn't seem to be holding it, it is balancing there.

Symbols:
Lemniscate: or infinity symbol, the Lemniscate symbolizes the endless, infinite nature of energy which can't be created or destroyed, and the Magician is intimate with this knowledge. The infinity symbol above the Magician's head shows that he understands that the energy of his thoughts always leads to infinite consequence.
Tools: Cups, knives (swords), coins (pentacles) and wands. Water, air, earth and fire. The four elements, which make up all of the created world. Importantly, the Magician is the master of the blending of these elements to CREATE. The lemniscate on his hat signifies the creative power of his thoughts in blending these elements leading to creativity and manifestation in the material world.

RIDER WAITE

Here, the Magician is standing. He's facing straight ahead, a wand in his right hand, pointed upwards, and his left hand pointed down towards the ground. A lemniscate hovers above his head. He looks strong and masterful, determined and competent. He wears white with a red robe, the background of the card is yellow. Floral boughs adorn this card. His table appears square, and holds a wand, a sword, a pentacle and a cup. The orobouros belt around his waist is another symbol of energy constantly flowing in and out of itself, like the infinity symbol above his head. Energy flows from his raised right hand and wand, down through him, through his left arm and grounded. Above and below. From heaven to earth. A sort of bringing together of opposites, in order for creation to occur.

ALCHEMICAL RENEWED

Here, the naked Magician stands on rocky earth, the sea behind him, a fire to his right, cloudy sky behind him. Again, the four elements but this time in their natural state. He holds a Cadaceus in his right hand, with two snakes intertwined and meeting at the top - red and white. He wears the winged helmet of Hermes Mercurius on his head.

"Hermes, The Messenger,
Known by Many Names,
God of the Marketplace and the Patron of Thieves
Father of Alchemy,
Psychopompus, Guide to the Underworld,
And Hermes the Divine Herald.
Hermes, the Greek god also known
as the Roman god Mercury."

Comparisons:

Of the three decks, the Alchemical Magician stands alone. He's very much more a 'God' type figure than either of the other images of the Magician. He looks as if he's come from the clouds! The Convos and RW Magicians are quite 'earthed', clothed, feet on the ground. Our Alchemical Magus even has wings on his helmet! Naked and barefooted, and connecting with the four elements in their natural raw state, and not using representations of the elements as do the other Magicians, somehow make him a little more powerful in my eyes.

The Convos Magician is holding his wand in his left hand, my RWS and Alchemical Magicians hold their wands in the right hand.

All three suggest great power at their disposal, but the power is not coming from them, it comes through them, and through the wand held in the hand. They are the custodians of this power, and act as a conduit to bring heaven and earth together in creation.

In practical terms for us, the Magician means thinking straight. Knowing what you want, taking the necessary steps to get there, being positive and confident. Bringing ideas into manifestation by action.

Wendywu

The Magician (The Ironwing)

This card clearly shows two contrasting sides to the Magician. There is the calm, controlled aspect of her nature and then there is the wild, fierce persona. Dancing in between the two is her Inner Self – her True Self. For me this shows that it’s OK to have different aspects of oneself, as long as I can “dance” between them as I please. I do not want to be at their whim.

I find the things she is holding fascinating. She has an iron bowl (beautifully forged) filled with water. It holds so much water that it slops out of the bowl. In this deck we are told that water is the life-renewer and a giver of life. Water ties up with love and emotion, so this Magician is overflowing with love which she is happy to share.

Her other hand holds a forged iron magical staff (or small fire basket depending on your point of view) and spreads magic (or light) around her.

Air in this card is a symbolised by the pod knife at the Magician’s waist – and therefore hers to take up and put down as she chooses.

Earth is symbolised by the garnet crystals that spill from the pomegranate bell. Garnet comes in many forms (see attached image for one that resembles the seeds of the pomegranate), and has many attributes amongst which are its ability to bring courage and hope, and to turn crisis into challenge. It also calms emotional distress and helps in the controlled rise of kundalini energy. I see this as a more than suitable crystal for a Magician – it calms, it soothes, it inspires and yet it brings wild energy.

The pomegranate bell that the crystals falls from is also interesting. Extracted from the fruit the arils (little seeds in jelly) look exactly like garnets – see image. These arils are prepared and used in a wide variety of cooking styles including sweet, sour and hot.

In Ayurvedic medicine pomegranate has been used for remedies for thousands of years and is being increasingly investigated by Western medical researchers. It also has great and historic symbolism in many cultures. In researching the pomegranate I was overwhelmed with uses, symbology and occurrences in a great many cultures for widely differing purposes. I have been made to think of pomegranates very differently than I did previously. I now see that a pomegranate bell forged out of iron, with garnets spilling from it is an card with worldwide, deep symbolism and is justly used to represent elemental Earth in the card.

For fire and water I look principally to the image of the figure standing on a hill top. She has climbed steadily along the path to reach this position (and here it is good to compare her with the figure seen in The Lodestone (Fool), which can be seen in my avatar). On one side of her is fire and on the other rain. She is going to have to find a way to control or reconcile those differing forces so that neither is lost. If she let the two sides mingle uncontrolled, all she’d get is a pressure cooker that would (a) put the fire out, (b) turn the water to steam and (c) blow the top off the chamber…. Since this has not happened it is obvious that she has learned to master and control these forces – this figure is also the true Magician – another aspect of the inner heart of the main figure.

The dancer at the top of the card takes the Magician between this world and the shamanic Otherworld. This is a mental Journey. Yes, the heart and spirit are involved but the Journey is accomplished by dropping into theta trance and following the resulting visions, and this is essentially a mental thing.

The magic pouring from the small lantern (staff) interests me – as a result of her Journeying the Magician can effect magical change. Magic is the deliberate change in circumstances caused by an act of Will. So – Journeying, and using the control required to Journey, enhances the Magician’s ability to focus and thereby she is able to alter circumstances.

To Journey the Magician must control her “outer” nature so that she can reach her Other Self. To do this she needs focus, self control and discipline, and she needs to be able to communicate what her Other Self brings back. If she Journeys for someone she must be able to pass on what she learns in the Otherworld or the change in that person cannot begin to be effected. In some ways the Magician must manipulate her clients (and although this is a word with some bad connotations it is apt here) so that they, as far as possible, see what she saw and learn what her vision means for them. Whilst Journeying, and in trance, the shamanic Magician is a focus for her own imagination, her own contact with Spirit and however she reaches the Otherworld (through dance, drum or both) she must make contact with its inhabitants (whatever form they might take) or her Journey fails in its purpose.

And it is these two personas that the shamanic Magician in this deck carries within her, must reconcile and must learn to control to some extent.

It is a fascinating “take” on the Magician in general – her control/harnessing of the powers of the elements, her ability to communicate, translate and illuminate. At the same time we are talking about someone who is necessarily less than open. A part of the Magician always remains hidden.

Sometimes, in some readings, the hidden aspects of this figure of power could cause this to be a dark card to read but in any reading either of the personas could be at the forefront. A manipulator, a quick talker, hidden personality – explosive on the inside – with all the elements and elemental power at her fingertips – this could indeed be a difficult yet powerful card. At other times it would be Magical and indicative of all that is truly wonderful in the shamanic world.

Part of its appeal is in how very many ways it can be read – if reading for the non shamanic a moment’s reflection on the two personas shown in the card reveals many possibilities available to the reader.

I left it a few days before continuing so that, as far as possible, the study I had done would fade from the forefront of my mind.

And what strikes me, just looking at her is that she looks so incredibly Victorian – high collar, long sleeves, neat hair, long skirt …. And then you look closer. And you realise that whatever she looks like, her heart is wild and free. And I don’t mean free to screw around, get pissed and gradually lose her way and heart. Instead she is free to go where Spirit leads, to hear what is taught and laugh with true joy and the things that sometimes, only she can see or hear.

Ignoring the specifics of what I see, this card is as comforting as Grandma’s lap and as unsettling as fingernails on a chalkboard. So much fire, fire and water, and so much magic being shared.

She is the walker between worlds. She is every shaman who ever lived or ever will live. And she is me, taking my babysteps on the shamanic path and learning more of what’s worthwhile with these steps than in long years of formal education.

I know there is so much more to this card than I have found but that’s OK – I’m in no hurry and the Ironwing and I are happy together.

Attachments

• garnets.jpg
    garnets.jpg
    32.5 KB · Views: 105
  • Pomegranate.jpg
    Pomegranate.jpg
    34.1 KB · Views: 91
  • I the Magician.jpg
    I the Magician.jpg
    27.1 KB · Views: 98