A Word About Copyright

nexus7

'However, with the advent of computers & their dating system, that works as well.'

Could you let me know a little more on that?

gregory

It doesn't work that well. Someone said - you can "always" tell when a file was created because the computer date stamps it.

At that point in - I think it was even this thread - I created a file on July 8 1944.

It's easy })

euripides

gregory said:
It doesn't work that well. Someone said - you can "always" tell when a file was created because the computer date stamps it.

At that point in - I think it was even this thread - I created a file on July 8 1944.

It's easy })

Yep, computer records can be altered, and mailing yourself a manuscript is a complete waste of time.

Registering with the US Copyright office costs about $35 which isn't much if you're talking about a major work, and is worthwhile if you're worried about infringement. Having said that, copyright DOES automatically reside with you as the creator of the work and registering is just a way to give yourself ammunition in case of a court case.

Other things, such as the place of that work within your body of work (you've got a diary and sketches showing development of your ideas) could also be valid documents to support your position in court, so keep these items.

for information on copyright in Australia:
http://copyright.org.au/find-an-answer/

Please, check your local government information sites for valid information.

Red_Ocean

How will I know or how can I tell if an online photograph is copyright?

gregory

How will I know or how can I tell if an online photograph is copyright?

Please see your own thread ! I and someone else posted links. Basically - if it doesn't say "You can use this any way you like for free" - don't. Just because it is on line doesn't mean it's free for all. Search Royalty free images, and then read the condition on each one VERY carefully. Many you have to ask permission, and even more say OK but NOT for profit - which means that you could not sell your deck if you used them.

SilverBlaze

Question: If one were to contact a company to ask for permission to use their images in a Tarot deck, who -exactly- would they contact?

Take, for example, Supernatural. Created by Eric Kripke, and for the first 5 seasons, Kripke was at the helm. Now, however, he has taken a 'hands-off' approach to the series, and now Sera Gamble is the head honcho. However... Kripke created it. Who would you contact? And how exactly would you try to explain a tarot deck and how you use it for non-profit, personal-use only?

And has anyone actually gotten a go-ahead from a company to do so, or are we just wasting our time? I really want to try doing a specific deck with proper permission, but if odds are high that I'll be told no, then I just won't even waste the time and paper. ^_^

gregory

You'd - in the first instance - open up a copy/view a video and see where it says "copyright xxxxx" and contact that company/individual. Because if the copyright has passed to another - they will know who now holds it.

But as far as I know if it is ONLY for your own use and you are only making a single copy - you are pretty much OK. Make one more for a friend and you are liable for a lawsuit. This was discussed here somewhere in terms of the idea of making a single birthday card using an on line or photocopied tarot image - you are OK, whoever knew their stuff said - until you give it to the other person... because then it is no longer for your personal use, but for theirs, and they didn't make it. But if you CUT OUT a tarot card from a deck, and stick it to a card and send that - you are OK because you owned the card, like.

I have to say that as far as I know, no-one generally gets permission to use what you might call commercial characters. Think of Hello Kitty - where Rosales has been sued all over. They have now brought out their own, far inferior deck - they slipped up; they should have bought his !!! Peanuts, too. That was a GREAT deck :(

You've nothing to lose by asking though - how long does a letter take ? And Kripke is still a producer, so I imagine he has some considerable say. (From wiki, BTW, I would guess Warner holds it now... as they partly own CW too, but that is a guess.)

tarotlyn

:heart::) You know, it never hurts to ask! And what is the worst that can happen?

Right, they can say no or not even reply to you at all :(

However:
When I was emailing people and asking for permission to use their photos, most everyone gave me their permission.
Only a very few people didn't respond at all. So I just didn't use those particular images.

There are a lot of public domain images available on the net. I used a LOT of those as well.

'Where there is a will, there is a way!' ...my late father always used to say that...

Good luck with your deck!:)
:heart: HUGS
Blessings of :heart: Love and :) Light
tarotlyn

ETA: Just write up 'one' email template and use that, and just change the name of the
person you are writing to. I found that just being honest and brief worked very well.
Also, liking their photo (and telling them how nice it is) helps too ;)

SilverBlaze

Cool, thanks guys. I'll give that a shot. *crosses fingers* It's not like I'll be selling the deck, I just think it would be utterly awesome to have my own SPN deck, you know? ^.^

tarotlyn

:) :heart: i just found a 'slideshow' program that explains the copyright laws in detail and also has some places
that you can find free public domain images, etc.

It also has all the links you need to research the copyright on any work...

You have to sign up for it, but i did and then they sent me the download link and it is pretty good!
...i have learned some great things that actually are helping me in my quest for 'good' public domain images...

...and it definitely clears up any questions about 'what years' a photo or work becomes public domain...
It also showed me that i can use 'more' images in the public domain that i didn't even know about!
...some even up through 1989...if they meet the criteria...

The was made for Yale University students...but you can get it too...it is free and you will
be able to read it in your word processor...

go here to get it: http://www.slideshare.net/ianatyalellib/free-culture-public-domain-photography-on-the-web

:heart: HUGS
Lyn