A Word About Copyright

cirom

Briar Rose said:
To be honest I was really thinking about what Cirom would say if he knew what I did to one of his boxes. I keep thinking that someone may put a hex on me.

This whole issue of copyright is very vague, I think Debras earlier post sums it up in a common sense way. I personally don't have any issue with what you have done. Its a personal endeavor and gift for friends. (If you e-mail me, I'll provide you with some files you can print out and tear up to your hearts content).

Elven

I just got permission 3rd hand to make some cards using my made-up images, someone else idea, and someone else computer program. But under no circumstances can I sell the decks - they have to be gifted, and made not for sale. So thank god the deck is a humerous one becasue I am going to decorate the backs with a huge pithy 'not for sale' warning sign and a picture of a gun. LOL!!

and cirom - thats a wonderful gesture for Briar Rose.
and baba-prague a while back sent me some cards to bead - t'was a lovely gift.

Pagan X

Cutting up a card you own, and collaging, and giving the original collage, isn't a copyright violation. You own the physical object.

Creating photocopies, technically, is. You have now appropriated for your own use the artwork that was embodied in the physical object, have reproduced it, and are distributing it.

Will the copyright police come get you? No. Will Karma get you? Probably not.

Want Karma insurance? Let your friends know where they can buy the decks! Word of mouth is the best sales force any business can have!

colinmcq

copy right

I always thought that if you had some ideas on an art project as long as you have looked into the subject and there was no other art work or design work like yours the interlectual property was yours and yours alone, as long as there was no problems with plagerism, I would advise any one
to consult a legal expert on the matter and they will advise you exactly what you need or even google it there should be some advise out there.

canid

colinmcq said:
I always thought that if you had some ideas on an art project as long as you have looked into the subject and there was no other art work or design work like yours the interlectual property was yours and yours alone.

The problem there is proving it. There's something called 'Poor Man's Copyright' for tangible items - good for art, something written, etc., something you can put into an envelope & mail to yourself. As long as the seal's unbroken, the postmark date is your proof. However, with the advent of computers & their dating system, that works as well.

daphne

Mageborn777 said:
I noticed there wasn't anything posted about what to do when you finally get your creation ready for publication and are waiting on the registered copyright papers to appear at your door. Many years ago when the earth was still cooling a copyright attorney suggested I take the entire body of work, package it nice and solid, and send it to myself via registered mail Then when it arrives. do not under any circumstances open the package. Actually leave it forever if you can. Because what you have is a valid government parcel complete with dates, official stamps, and valid signatures that prove beyond a doubt it's your work. According to her it would hold up in any court on the planet.
I did that. Still have it. So far haven't needed it. And yes my work is registered through the US copyright office in Washington DC.
Not taking any chances here.

This is an interesting idea I can use.

Would mailing yourself your own creation stand up also for manuscripts?

I am writing fiction stories, most of them displayed on literature blogs/sites.

Mailing myself a copy of my novels could be useful in case of plagiarism?

Glorimbex

I live next door to a musician and he sends his new compositions to himself by recorded delivery and never opens the package, unless required in the case of a law suit.

John.

ETA - Computer dates on files can always be altered. I recommend the post.

gregory

Wow. That IS interesting - thanks, debra ! :(

zodiakfish

not just artists

Apple and other cell phone makers are suing each other all the time of copy righted and patent infringement. If you have big money, then it is a game of math weather to steal or not (something artists hate is math)

but if you are a small fish, they will take you to court, no matter how small you are, and if you are guilty, you have to pay for their lawyer as well, which can be brutal if a big corporation sue you.

I am not soeaking from personal experience, but had a colleague go thru years of he(( and financial loss