Am I nuts or...

RubyV

I am seriously considering covering my Gothic Tarot cards with clear contact paper, since I like the matte look, and I am admitedly a bit OCD when it comes to cards and paperbacks (all my paperbacks get the covers covered with Contact). Has anyone else ever done this to their cards?

Thanks!

RubyV

And no, my other dozen or so decks have never tempted me to do this. :p

Dwaas

Ehm... I am not sure that I understand what you want to do. You want to glue (?) matte see-through paper on every card of your gothic deck? And what is OCD?
Blessings

WalesWoman

I think laminating would probably be better, otherwise it seems like the edges would want to peel and stick when you tried shuffling using contact paper and end up ruining your deck instead.

dwaas said:
And what is OCD?

OCD... Obsessive Compulsive Disorder
P.S. I think OCD may have been what is behind all the ritual behavior/superstitions that some people prescribe to when reading Tarot... preparation, how they shuffle, closing readings,etc.

Not to say that people who have particular rituals they do before, during and after reading are OCD.

Didn't know what it was either, until someone told me. :)

Abrac

Can you afford another Gothic if you end up trashing the one you have? If it were me, I'd practice on something that's dispensable first to get an idea of what to expect. As WalesWoman has said, some kind of hot laminating would be best, but would probably involve a considerable investment.

Best Wishes :)

-fof

Grizabella

Maybe you could NOT do it and just pretend you did? LOL I'd really not coat a deck with clear contact paper myself. I can't imagine that it would work very well and could certainly ruin the deck. If you shuffle any deck long enough, it does become sort of matte finish, so maybe just shuffle a lot and it will wear off the shine. If you can afford to replace the deck, then it's your deck, so go ahead and try it. I don't know what Gothic you have (I'm not familiar with Gothic decks), but if it's OOP or hard to find, maybe you should get a second deck first to be sure you can replace it if it's ruined before doing the experiment.

HearthCricket

I was thinking the same thing as someone above mentioned. For the price of laminating or covering 78 cards, why not just get another copy of the same deck, so if one starts to wear out a bit, you can put it aside or toss it, and start breaking in the new deck. I have a few favourites that I have 2 copies of, for just that reason.

Little Baron

I tried to cover cards with these sheets before.

What a mess was made!

What I thought would be relatively easy, bubbled and ripped and the whole lot got tossed in the end.

LB

RubyV

Thanks for the responses! I'll hold off on it and try to just let it go, since i can't affrd a nother deck right now.

Whaleswoman, I think your right.

Abrac

RubyV

I'm not familiar with the Gothic. Is it already coated with a shiny lamination and you are trying to tone it down by adding the contact paper, or is it unlaminated altogether? Just curious.

-fof