tarot spells book i got. question...

gorgeousbutterfly

the book uses robin wood tarot in the spells, does that mean i have to use that as well? or can i just use rider waite?

September Pixie

You can use any tarot for them. The ones in the book are only examples.

RubyV

any deck will do. i like the dragon tarot

gorgeousbutterfly

aren't the symbols different? so therefore the meaning too?

September Pixie

Robin Wood and RWS are pretty much the same... just different art -- so no, you can use either of them. The symbology of the cards are pretty universal among decks.. just that some have deeper meanings than others.

RubyV

The underlying concept is th same, and your insights as well

Mitchichen

short answer: No.

Long answer:

With any sort of magic that calls for a personalized touch, you can subtitute things...like if a spell says a necklace, and the one they use is a cross, you dont have to use a cross.

From my experience, it's more of the underlying intention behind the spell. in fact, in most books i see with lots of "spells," none of them are set formulas, they aren't chemistry experiments where one tiny miscalculation will result in an explosion. Some things can be substituted, but have to be similar...like using a shark's tooth instead of a tourquise in a protection amulet for example. Both are similar in the properties the stone is used for. Same with colors, unless it's specified taht you need a certain color (like red as opposed to pink or whatnot). Kinda like a physics experiment.

In other words, as long as the cards have the same interpretation, it's all fine. I mean, if it says to use one card, but the card in your deck doesnt have the same meaning/interpretation, then find another card that has that meaning. :3

Sulis

gorgeousbutterfly said:
the book uses robin wood tarot in the spells, does that mean i have to use that as well? or can i just use rider waite?

gorgeousbutterfly said:
aren't the symbols different? so therefore the meaning too?

Can I just say that book or no book, if you really don't know what you're doing then maybe you aren't ready to be casting spells yet?

catlin

I have to second Sulis comment.

There is an old saying "Be careful what you are wishing for, it may be granted" and somehow the way how things are granted has side effects newbies don't take into consideration, eg in case you are wishing for a new car it may happen that you will have an accident with the car you are currently owning.

Using magick in whatever way demands to know what you are doing and to be fully aware of all consequences this may include.

gorgeousbutterfly

i'm not that new. its a perfectly reasonable question to ask if the symbols are the same from robin wood tarot versus rider waite. i have been reading history of the tarot and it talks about that.....

the colors for examples can make a big difference. any other example, in the robin wood , the lovers card the women and man are together holding each other in rider waite they are apart , which makes me think the meaning can be both a decision or love,relationships, bonding with someone... this can make a difference in spell work.. and i have considered...

every color, every new detail that is different from one deck does seem to make a difference in the meaning...

and even though i am new to tarot the book explains the cards. i'm not stupid i know the consequences of spells.

also what does me not knowing much about tarot (what you think) have anything to do with me not knowing anything about magic and spells? " you might get what you wish for" this statement is totally uncalled for....

but thanxs..