Are you a Flat World Society Member?

gregory

Huck said:
Dear members with the 4000 posts, I didn't speak of you personally, but from the historical process.
And actually this was a by-pass sentence in a post with a totally different topic, in which I showed no interest to any fight with any sort of grey panthers, but the focus was, as far I remember, playing card history and the general research situation of the year 2006 in relation to that of ca. 1980.
I did not answer as an offended person either, Huck - no worries ! ;) (another thing about being ancient is that I cannot be bothered to take offence !) - I speak for the thousands of older people who have taken to the new technology like ducks to water, and many IT teachers have pointed out that they find older students much more receptive and adaptable, as they don't have preconceptions, they are just really keen to learn. They say that younger people are so sure that they know it all that they can be almost unteachable - even when they are totally wrong !
:D

Rosanne

le pendu said:
There have been times when I have chosen not to post something that I think would be interesting to discuss in this forum, the reason being that I didn't want the idea "squashed" by historical facts before they had a chance to be pondered. Sometimes I have posted in the Marseilles & Other Early Decks forum instead, because there is generally more flexibility to "ideas" over there. Sometimes I have not posted at all, feeling that I had to develop the ideas more thoroughly before exposing them to this forum.
snip.....
And I think this is one of the major issues discussed in this thread.
snip......

There also seems to be some, in my opinion, misconceptions about "historians" on this forum. I don't mean to insult anyone, but really, are there any true historians in here? I think most of us are enthusiasts who share a deep love of the Tarot and are particularly interested in how it came into existence. I also think most of us are remarkably intelligent and have a great curiosity. I think it is a wrong representation to characterize pretty much anyone as a "historian" over anyone else here. If you are interested in Tarot history, regardless of your previous knowledge, you are welcome here as your thoughts are an integral part of the development of the community as a whole. We all have differing amounts of knowledge on the subject, and differing interests, but we are stronger when sharing them, and that is why I think it is important that the ability for anyone and everyone to participate is critical to individual and communal growth.

I love this forum, and want to see it grow. I want to see more people participating. I want to see alternate ideas suggested and less insistence that others share a particular point of view. I want to see more respect and hopefully more encouragement between members. I want us all to recognize that we have so much in common in our love of Tarot, and to be a bit more forgiving with both real and imagined missteps by others.

It's up to us.

best,
robert
Good morning. I awoke this morning and read this post-Thank you Robert, there is so much in your post that I wanted to quote as pertinent, that I have spent quite sometime rereading it and snip snip sniping because it was all good. Have a look at how many hits this thread has had! Lots of interest, hopefully not all because of 'tone' and 'they are arguing loudly' over here.
What have I learned in 24 hours from this section. Well the fascinating fact that in Japan in late 1500's the Japanese were printing playing cards like the minors of the TdM- bought to them by the Portuguese. Wonderful! I did not know that. I am an amatuer sleuth with Tarot and it is so hard down here in my corner of the world. You, the members are my inspiration and in the time I have had a computer and membership here my interests/knowledge in Tarot has grown in leaps and bounds. As I have said before I enjoy the imagings- but I do not enjoy the Cock fighting and quashing of dreams. I have probably overreacted to what was only humurous sparring in some cases and for that I am sorry; but sometimes your talons are barely sheathed and that demeans you. I am going to take the last paragraph of Robert's post to heart. ~Rosanne

Huck

gregory said:
I did not answer as an offended person either, Huck - no worries ! ;) (another thing about being ancient is that I cannot be bothered to take offence !) - I speak for the thousands of older people who have taken to the new technology like ducks to water, and many IT teachers have pointed out that they find older students much more receptive and adaptable, as they don't have preconceptions, they are just really keen to learn. They say that younger people are so sure that they know it all that they can be almost unteachable - even when they are totally wrong !
:D

Hi Gregory,
actually that's a nice development and see it arrive indeed for my own society, too. Nonetheless, simple truth ... the young were quicker. Of course the older persons have other interests than the youngsters, somehow "more acceptable" (as they think) as that of the youngsters (the youngsters have a different opinion). Well, it was in my argument just the general question, who adapts in societies a new medium quicker ... and usually this are the young people. Individual cases maybe very different.

Huck

baba-prague said:
Apologies again - this sounds awfully negative, but I'm being honest. I hope I haven't offended anyone.

Edited to be as polite as possible (I feel I am walking on egg-shells here). Apologies for all the parentheses.

Dear Baba-Prague,

of course, you didn't offend anybody, and I'm sure, you know that, if you did offend somebody or if you didn't, yourself.
I thank you again for your contribution of the last days to the actual research, which was, as far I remember, a link to the library of St. Bribes.

As far this history-forum here is concerned, I consider it as one of the best places for the Tarot history process, ... well, not the best imaginable, but one of the best of the current historical moment. I also consider the people, who found their way to this place for my own special reasons especially worthful. Tarot history is a great theme and a lot of people interested in Tarot haven't discovered this ... which is a pity, cause it has a lot to give.

Well, not everybody who is attracted to come here, already knows this ... also there are temperaments, misunderstandings, jokes, difficult human behaviour, perhaps a few animosities ... but that's not all, what is here. And usually, as far I remember, it is an exceptional state, that the noise seems stronger than the usual cooperative spirit here. And ... it seems only, that the noise is stronger.

Much stronger than the noise is the fact, that here are some people, who have exchanged a lot of emails with each other, not only here in the Forum , and they've cooperated in the past and they have reached something with the cooperation. Not only one cooperation, and not only once having reached something together, no, variously, a lot of activities and a lot of them successful.
And all this around the theme Tarot history.

So there is somehow a social network ... :) perhaps like in a pub, where always the same people are. Surely you know this common pub, it's a little difficult to come in there and to turn it all in a great show and declaring all and everything for nonsense ... okay, somebody may enter there and make his noise, but actually, anybody blames himself as good he can .... with patience, the noise will simply disappear, and finally .. in our case ... perhaps there are then some people, who really want to know something about Tarot history. Well, a normal process ... nothing, we must get very excited about.

As far the quality of our researches was mentioned: We know, what it is worth. ... and you may find it out yourself. That's a normal writer-reader relation, not unusual. If you wish to turn the table, you must write yourself.

Huck

baba-prague said:
Apologies again - this sounds awfully negative, but I'm being honest. I hope I haven't offended anyone.

Edited to be as polite as possible (I feel I am walking on egg-shells here). Apologies for all the parentheses.

Dear Baba-Prague,

of course, you didn't offend anybody, and I'm sure, you know that, if you did offend somebody or if you didn't, yourself.
I thank you again for your contribution of the last days to the actual research, which was, as far I remember, a link to the library of St. Bribes.

As far this history-forum here is concerned, I consider it as one of the best places for the Tarot history process, ... well, not the best imaginable, but one of the best of the current historical moment. I also consider the people, who found their way to this place for my own special reasons especially worthful. Tarot history is a great theme and a lot of people interested in Tarot haven't discovered this ... which is a pity, cause it has a lot to give.

Well, not everybody who is attracted to come here, already knows this ... also there are temperaments, misunderstandings, jokes, difficult human behaviour, perhaps a few animosities ... but that's not all, what is here. And usually, as far I remember, it is an exceptional state, that the noise seems stronger than the usual cooperative spirit here. And ... it seems only, that the noise is stronger.

Much stronger than the noise is the fact, that here are some people, who have exchanged a lot of emails with each other, not only here in the Forum , and they've cooperated in the past and they have reached something with the cooperation. Not only one cooperation, and not only once having reached something together, no, variously, a lot of activities and a lot of them successful.
And all this around the theme Tarot history.

So there is somehow a social network ... :) perhaps like in a pub, where always the same people are. Surely you know this common pub, it's a little difficult to come in there and to turn it all in a great show and declaring all and everything for nonsense ... okay, somebody may enter there and make his noise, but actually, anybody blames himself as good he can .... with patience, the noise will simply disappear, and finally .. in our case ... perhaps there are then some people, who really want to know something about Tarot history. Well, a normal process ... nothing, we must get very excited about.

As far the quality of our researches was mentioned: We know, what it is worth. ... and you may find it out yourself. That's a normal writer-reader relation, not unusual. If you wish to turn the table, you must write yourself.

Moongold

Huck said:
As far the quality of our researches was mentioned: We know, what it is worth. ... and you may find it out yourself. That's a normal writer-reader relation, not unusual. If you wish to turn the table, you must write yourself. .

This thread has been fascinating ..... thanks to Rosanne for inspiring it and thanks to all for participating so fully. Thanks also to Le Pendu and JMD for allowing it to continue as it has.

I've always felt that the history forums have been both dense and scattered at the same time. For a newcomer to Tarot history, it has been confusing to know where to begin, and to make sense as one sifts through all the material.

Although this probably sounds almost facile, I realised this morning that if I am serious in exploring Tarot history some more I need to choose something that has real interest and meaning to me and to focus on that. So that is my next step, and there is some excitement in that. :).

Thanks again to everyone. :CL

gregory

I can't find what I want in the history threads either. That was how I ended up here.... :D Solandia said a while back that she hopes to be able to improve the search function.... I look forward to that !

(Huck - I am also an absolute WHIZZ with google ! :D)

baba-prague

Huck said:
If you wish to turn the table, you must write yourself.

But I don't wish to turn any table - well, not about tarot history - I'm afraid I have no pet theories to offer. I just want to see if spending time here is worthwhile (like most people I have quite limited time). For me, the answer is that it isn't for the reasons I've already given. I'm disappointed to say that, but in fact there are, of course, other networks, other discussions, and I think that they give me more (and my contributions to them can be much more worthwhile). Maybe once things here are a bit more sorted out, it'll be different - I hope so. But for now, no.

Oh - I love the idea of "St Bribes" - gave me a giggle anyway.

Huck

baba-prague said:
But I don't wish to turn any table - well, not about tarot history - I'm afraid I have no pet theories to offer. I just want to see if spending time here is worthwhile (like most people I have quite limited time). For me, the answer is that it isn't for the reasons I've already given. I'm disappointed to say that, but in fact there are, of course, other networks, other discussions, and I think that they give me more (and my contributions to them can be much more worthwhile). Maybe once things here are a bit more sorted out, it'll be different - I hope so. But for now, no.

Oh - I love the idea of "St Bribes" - gave me a giggle anyway.

Yes... one should see the positive. Axctually you've the some problem as we ... we've also to decide, which is a promising route and which not.

NightWing

Learning Tarot History

So if I understand the direction of this thread thus far...the basic thesis is that Tarot was created by ancient Greeks who sailed from India to land captured Vikings on the shores of New Zealand, then helped the Japanese create Portugese playing cards that the Pope was forced to take from France back to Italy in 1377, presumably showing up just in time to let the Italians take credit for Tarocchi. Gosh, I never knew a person could learn so much in these historical threads! })

Just joking. I do hope people will continue to share both their historical research and thoughtful speculations in these forums. Thanks.