Being misrepresented as a reader by the message of the cards.

starrystarrynight

With the example of the [tarot] Five of Swords as outcome (I don't read oracles so couldn't provide any suggestion on that medium,) in my opinion, it doesn't necessarily mean that the cards are advising the seeker not to go there or that there is no real answer to the question. I'd suspect it could be saying that if she keeps going the way she is going, she'll win...but it will cost her dearly in some way. (i.e. be careful what you ask for because you are about to get it--but it will be painful or upsetting in a way she is not expecting it to be.)

Amanda_04 said:
So essentially, this is *my* problem for believing it to be my responsibility to always find an answer. And it's not that there isn't one, just not one for me or the cards to answer.
I think it's easy to move beyond simply reading cards to feeling the need to give advice (which, admittedly, many seekers are looking for--just listen to their questions: "Should I do this?") But card reading is actually just reading the energies shown in the cards and tying those energies together to give a picture of: 1.) what is going on in the seeker's life (Present), 2.) where that energy came from (Foundation/Past), and 3.) where things are headed if she changes nothing (Future/Outcome)...then telling your seeker that the cards are showing this trend of energy. It's not really a card-reader's job to extrapolate why that might be the case or what the seeker "should" do to deal with it. That is up to her to decide and act upon, because it is really her destiny to forge, using the trend of energies shown in the cards to guide her.

So, maybe it's worth thinking about whether or not you are trying to take on too much onus in "helping" your seeker(s) and where you might consider setting firmer boundaries about what the role of a card-reader is for you.

Just some thoughts offered only for sake of discussion, of course.

Sinduction

I think maybe it means that your questioner will NOT be doing work that requires forecasting, trend tracking, market predictions, that sort of thing.
I'm right here with Debra. That card is not telling you no, it's answering the question of what kind of work she will be doing.

Zezina

Strange I know, but somehow I feel that the first quote of your signature is either relevant or involved here.

Amanda

Interesting. I wonder if the Lady of Leprechauns is like a trickster character? Like the Fool, playful and seemingly innocent but sometimes darkly chaotic and ultimately mysterious?

There are 7 groups in this deck; The Faerie Queens, The Queens' Consorts, The Archetypes, Sprites, The Ladies, Tricksters, and The Journey. The Lady of Leprechauns falls under The Ladies. There are 6 ladies and "...they are more personal and temperamental..." than the Queens. It says they highlight things that one may need to address in themselves in order to move on to greater understanding.

Sometimes the Fool and the Wheel just don't give me answers, they just call attention to the mystery and the whole range of potentials, without revealing anything specific. Like a movie that cuts off the ending, and forces you to speculate what really happened, how did the story really end? (Like the ending to The Sopranos.)

The Fool won't give you answers? But... your screenname... :laugh:

Amanda

I think maybe it means that your questioner will NOT be doing work that requires forecasting, trend tracking, market predictions, that sort of thing.

That's brilliant because I wouldn't have gotten that at all. It didn't tickle my psychic bone one bit. But I could have been too busy being offended. LOL

Amanda

Is it that you think that, as a reader, you should have an answer for everything? Is the fact that this seems to be a non-answer what bothers you? (Seriously wondering, not being facetious or anything.) I think it's a very definite answer. There are times, anyway, when a reader won't get the answer from the cards, whether it's Tarot or an oracle of some sort. And I do believe there are certain things, for certain people, that are more dangerous to know at a certain times. Don't you?

My honest-to-God answer is that I don't personally believe that *I* should always have an answer, but that there is always an answer *somewhere*, and I'm stupid/unaware/disconnected if I can't find it. That's probably more of a personal thing that just carries over into my tarot reading though.

For instance, imagine someone who is in a fragile emotional space at the time and has a tendency to fall off the curb, so to speak. They have a mental illness, maybe, that requires medication and they aren't taking it. Without it, they can be a threat to themselves or others. You wouldn't always be able to tell that just from meeting them for a reading, so you wouldn't know ahead of time that you shouldn't give them certain information. I'd just trust the message and not take it as being something aimed personally at you, if I were you. (There are many other examples. I just chose that one.) "Don't go there, it's dangerous" is just as much an answer as any other.

Yep, I get that. Actually, just experienced something like that in the YR forum with another poster mentioning a parent with NPD (which became a possible effect on the reading). I probably came off harsh since I didn't know about the NPD thing ahead of time, but I could only read what I saw in the cards, and then said I was sorry, I didn't think I could help beyond what I already gave. It was just beyond me, and my opinion was that something outside a tarot reader and cards was probably needed for that issue.

Amanda

With the example of the [tarot] Five of Swords as outcome (I don't read oracles so couldn't provide any suggestion on that medium,) in my opinion, it doesn't necessarily mean that the cards are advising the seeker not to go there or that there is no real answer to the question. I'd suspect it could be saying that if she keeps going the way she is going, she'll win...but it will cost her dearly in some way. (i.e. be careful what you ask for because you are about to get it--but it will be painful or upsetting in a way she is not expecting it to be.)

Well, that was only sometimes. Since I'm more of a left-to-right reader, I'd read the person on the left in the card first, if it was the only card drawn for a future question, or the last to be drawn in a grouping. So, the person on the left (usually) is walking away, giving up, and not even trying or prepared to deal with someone/something that is sure to kick their ass. LOL

I think it's easy to move beyond simply reading cards to feeling the need to give advice (which, admittedly, many seekers are looking for--just listen to their questions: "Should I do this?") But card reading is actually just reading the energies shown in the cards and tying those energies together to give a picture of: 1.) what is going on in the seeker's life (Present), 2.) where that energy came from (Foundation/Past), and 3.) where things are headed if she changes nothing (Future/Outcome)...then telling your seeker that the cards are showing this trend of energy. It's not really a card-reader's job to extrapolate why that might be the case or what the seeker "should" do to deal with it. That is up to her to decide and act upon, because it is really her destiny to forge, using the trend of energies shown in the cards to guide her.

I've been guilty of that. Taking on more of an Empress rx. smothering "I just care about you so do what I say!" kind of thing. Yep. Guilty. Was hoping to have been growing out of that though, because what it comes down to that I value the most; for myself and others- The Fool. Individuality and freedom of expression.

So, maybe it's worth thinking about whether or not you are trying to take on too much onus in "helping" your seeker(s) and where you might consider setting firmer boundaries about what the role of a card-reader is for you.

I agree. I think it's something that's been evolving and changing right along with my reading skills. I used to be a lot more of a pushover and wanting to please people back in my earlier days. Maybe that's why I was so offended by this card, because I wanted to give them *something* about the future that might be helpful for them to think about now. I did end up pulling a clarifying tarot card for that card in her reading (she reacted to the Lady of Leprechauns as I thought she would) - but as fitting as the HP was to the Lady of Leprechauns, I was able to do my normal fortune-teller type thing and she seemed much happier to have something to think about. It seemed some "clear sight" even if only through my one tiny perspective on the matter is what she was looking for. And I didn't give her much because the HP is vague and does say that there is more to develop. But I was able to give more than the Lady of Leprechauns was willing to give me. LOL

Amanda

Strange I know, but somehow I feel that the first quote of your signature is either relevant or involved here.

Well that is essentially how I operate (I think so anyway). So, most definitely it could be involved here. :D