Book of doors

Abrac

Hi okieinalaska

I first thought of it while I was reading Robert M. Place's book, The Tarot: History, Symbolism, and Divination. He was talking about dice and their relationship to the tarot. With two dice the number of possible combinations that can be rolled are 21 and there are 21 trumps in the tarot if you don't count the Fool. With three dice there are 56 possible combinations and there are 56 pips and court cards. So, feeling a strong connection between the two I decided to give it a try. I shuffle the cards till I feel they're ready, then roll the dice. Whatever number comes up, I count off that many cards and put it in the spread. For example if I roll 12, I put the 12th card in the spread. Then I take the cards that I just took out of the deck and put them on the bottom of the stack. Then I simply repeat the process. I only use the 40 pips with illustrations on them. I like doing it this way because I get a much more focused reading with clear-cut meaning. I've been using Place's three-card spread. It's very simple. You just place three cards in a row 1, 2, 3, all right side up. There will be a natural flow, either to the right, the left, the center, or maybe no flow which will also mean something. Every reading will have it's own story to tell. I've found three cards to be plenty to get all the information I need at that particular moment. If I want or need further elucidation at some later point, I do another three-card spread for clarification. I've started keep a journal of my readings, and review it from time to time. It's amazing how hindsight can show you things you didn't see before. I haven't been using the Book of Doors cards for readings and judging from some of the posts I've read a lot of people seem to like this deck for special occasions. Imo, this deck is a great tool for learning and understanding Egyptian cosmology and the Neteru (Gods/Goddesses), which has a secondary benefit of helping a person understand the Tarot on another level. All the images are unique, interesting, and attractive artistically. I don't usually purchase any and every deck that comes along but only those I feel are genuinely unique or different, and this deck stands out from the crowd, imo. But this is probably a lot more information than you wanted so I'll shut up now. :)

Good luck

fools_fool

ShekinahMoon

Wonderful deck

I've had this deck for a few months now and it's the only deck I use for divination. I do use other decks for inspiration and meditation with the Archeon deck being my favorite for meditation.

The Book of Doors is a complex deck requiring the use of throwing an eight sided die twice to determine which card to pull. So a ten card layout requires throwing the die twenty times. There are eight families (or categories) and each family has eight cards so you have a 64 card deck. You throw the die once to know which of the eight families of cards to pull from and you throw the die again to know which of the eight cards in the family to pull. The images of the cards are powerful drawings of Egyptian Gods and Goddesses. Each card is fully explained in the book and at the end of the book is a summary of what is the divination meaning of each card. To a degree the deck and the book remind me of the Voodoo Tarot deck and actually help me understand the Voodoo deck much better.

If you are not interested in learning deeply about Egyptian Gods and Goddesses this deck may be a bit too over the top but if you enjoy allowing the Egyptian Gods and Goddesses character and personalities to become life lessons then this deck will help you in divination.

I highly recommend this deck if you are looking for a powerful and quite intriguing oracle system.

catlin

I bought this deck a couple of years ago, but until now I did not have the time to delve into it properly. It is a wonderful deck and I am pretty sure it well deserves deeper and further study.

gregory

jade said:
i misread this topic as "book of odors" :D
I really like the deck

But to those who wished they could read the book jade invented - try Patrick Suskind's Perfume.... it is ALL about odors and VERY strange.

catlin

gregory said:
I really like the deck

But to those who wished they could read the book jade invented - try Patrick Suskind's Perfume.... it is ALL about odors and VERY strange.

Oh, yes, that book is great (but not for sensitive souls)!!!!!

magpie9

I got this deck last week, to my surprise. There is a open demo copy at the meta shop where I work, and I found myself reading the book avidly! Completely fascinating to me...it brought back my childhood obsession
/fascination with ancient Egypt, full force! So after a few days of reading it and peering at the cards every free moment I went ahead and bought it. Oddly, I did not have any thought or hesitation about taking on a whole new system with it--I only felt eagerness!
I like the depth of information about the various Gods and their relationships to each other--this is no once over lightly keyword deal, it has depth. there really is a sense of opening doors here. And I agree--somehow it reminds me of the New Orleans VooDoo tarot. Perhaps it is the sense of immersion in another culture?

Dean

Are there any links to the the Book of Doors Oracle deck, i'm trying to find a link with shows the cards but i cant find any. I would like to see what these cards look like as i have two other Egyptian Oracles which i use alot.

Dean

They are very nicely done those pictures on that Oracle, much different to the Egyptian Cartouse deck i use, thanks for the link.

ShekinahMoon

magpie9 said:
I like the depth of information about the various Gods and their relationships to each other--this is no once over lightly keyword deal, it has depth. there really is a sense of opening doors here.

I agree this is no keyword deck. This is a totally unique system one has to learn from the beginning. The ten card layout in the form of a pyramid is interesting. Learning the relationship the cards have to each other based on the pyramid layout takes some studying.

And I agree--somehow it reminds me of the New Orleans VooDoo tarot. Perhaps it is the sense of immersion in another culture?

Makes me wonder if the origins of Voodoo have their roots in ancient Egyptian religion. I wonder if the concepts of ancient Egypt made their way to West Africa via the trade routes or did the origins of Voodoo develop independent of any influence of ancient Egypt. There are a lot of parallels between the two religions.