BOXED SETS vs LWB (cards only)

Kathy123

Just curious as to when you are purchasing new Tarot Decks, do you purchase the boxed sets with the companion books as a general rule or the cards only.

I bought a set that was just cards only recently, and then another cards only by accident (thought I ordered the boxed set). Maybe the universe is trying to tell me something :)

Just curious as to what readers who have been reading for many years purchase.

Yineth

I'm a bit of a stickler with prices. Usually the box sets are pricier than the deck only, so I generally go for the deck only. However if the deck I want is box set only... Then I cave and buy the set c:

There is no absolute law stating you have to buy the set or buy the deck only. It's just personal preference. It's sometimes nice to havw the box set, because the companion books give a different look into the decl depending on who wrote it. Sometimes the companion book can just be an enlarged version of the lws, so it's best to check the reviews too.

Good luck in your purchases :)

lark

What deck did you buy?
Usually if a deck has a book I buy the set...that might just be the competionist in me, but it has proven many time over to be the best buy.
Many books with sets now unfortunatly are not written by the tarot card creator, and even some that are, are not very good reads ....but even if you gleen a few insights into your new deck from the book it's worth it.
And some are real gems you would not want to miss.
As someone who has been around the cards for awhile it is shocking how fast some decks will go out of print -OOP.
And often the set go first.
And that "intention" to buy the book "later" becomes a frantic scramble to find it NOW.
So if you are wondering if you should send your second deck back and get the set...if I were you I'd get the set.

Kathy123

I purchased Lucy Lescott, which as far as I can tell comes as cards only, not a boxed set.

I also purchased (what I thought) was a boxed set of The Celtic Fairies, and I purchased the cards only, no box.

I think I'm a bit of a perfectionist in the way that I want the "complete set", and I enjoy having the companion book as well. Although sometimes they aren't the greatest, other times I really enjoy having them around.

Good to know I can buy the companion book separate if I want it :)

Thanks for the replies :)

rwcarter

Whenever possible, I go for the set because, whether the companion book is good or bad, I like to see what the author wrote about the deck that I might not see.

And what you call being a perfectionist, I call being a "Completionist". ;)

Alta

Generally if getting a set is an option, I get the set. As mentioned above, often the book is available separately, but sometimes for only a relatively short time. I find, as lark comments, some of the books are little jewels, others maybe not so much. But I still prefer to have them.

Sar

Prefer decks only.

greatdane

Definitely prefer decks only that at least resemble RWS structure enough to not NEED a book. It seems more and more often, designers are "creating" a new system for their deck so a book is needed and they can then get more money. That may not be their motivation, but that's how it turns out. Ironically, I don't WANT a book with a tarot deck, so I am more likely to just get a deck (this is esp true of my latest purchase of the Wildwood).

lark

Whenever possible, I go for the set because, whether the companion book is good or bad, I like to see what the author wrote about the deck that I might not see.

And what you call being a perfectionist, I call being a "Completionist". ;)
:)...but I bow down to you as I am a book only Completionist...you are far more advanced than I...:D

greatdane

Regarding books with a deck, I enjoyed the book-let (bigger than an lwb, but not exactly a book) that came with the Anna. K because she wrote it and explained her thoughts re her deck well. I can certainly understand wanting to know a designer's thoughts re their deck. Not sure if that requires a book, but for those who are really interested in what the designer has to say, great (I think Place's decks would probably fall into this category, I read his book that accompanied the Vampire Tarot and thought it very well done and glad it did come with a book). I don't care at all for books that are NOT written by the designer and, instead, a publisher grabs a writer to "interpret" the deck for us. One in mind was the Mystic Dreamer. I realized very quickly that the writer (who admitted herself it took her a bit to get a handle on the deck) wasn't all that familiar with the intentions of the designer/artist. I got more by emailing Heidi Darras directly. No longer read with that deck, it was the first one I purchased and while I loved a lot of her artwork, it just didn't really resonate as a reader for me. But sets with books that are not only not written by the artist, but don't even have a lot of their input, just seem a waste.