BOXED SETS vs LWB (cards only)

Carla

Regarding books with a deck, I enjoyed the book-let (bigger than an lwb, but not exactly a book) that came with the Anna. K because she wrote it and explained her thoughts re her deck well. I can certainly understand wanting to know a designer's thoughts re their deck. Not sure if that requires a book, but for those who are really interested in what the designer has to say, great (I think Place's decks would probably fall into this category, I read his book that accompanied the Vampire Tarot and thought it very well done and glad it did come with a book). I don't care at all for books that are NOT written by the designer and, instead, a publisher grabs a writer to "interpret" the deck for us. One in mind was the Mystic Dreamer. I realized very quickly that the writer (who admitted herself it took her a bit to get a handle on the deck) wasn't all that familiar with the intentions of the designer/artist. I got more by emailing Heidi Darras directly. No longer read with that deck, it was the first one I purchased and while I loved a lot of her artwork, it just didn't really resonate as a reader for me. But sets with books that are not only not written by the artist, but don't even have a lot of their input, just seem a waste.

I agree, the best decks are the ones that come with a chunky little companion book in a compact box. Touchstone Tarot and Tarot of the Sidhe are two good examples. (Though the Touchstone book isn't much use, to be honest). Pearls of Wisdom.

I don't like the big bulky books in the box sets. I buy them only when I have to.

Rosie_0801

I bought a Whimsical tarot deck, just the cards, because I didn't know there was a book available. Now I do, and still don't have the book because I can't find it listed for less than $150. I'm sure it is good, but it can't be THAT good! I do wish I had it though, since it contains ideas on how to teach to children... I prefer sets with books because I'm a book loving person. :)

Grizabella

I buy the set if it comes as a set. I like seeing what's in the book, but I'm a book nut anyway, so books are always good where I'm concerned. I do get disappointed, though, if the book is just a mimic of what everyone else has put in their books.

Some decks need a big book with them. The Wildwood sure does.

Sar

I bought a Whimsical tarot deck, just the cards, because I didn't know there was a book available. Now I do, and still don't have the book because I can't find it listed for less than $150. I'm sure it is good, but it can't be THAT good! I do wish I had it though, since it contains ideas on how to teach to children... I prefer sets with books because I'm a book loving person. :)

I have that book, and it turned useful to get to know which fairy tale the images came from.

Le Fanu

If there's a boxed set with book I go for that; I'm always up for hearing what the creator says about the deck. However, if it's very RWS, I give it a miss and go for deck only.

What I sometimes do, more and more, (crafty as I am) is buy the deck only, see if it is a deck that intrigues me and need to know more about then buy "book only" from an amazon seller for 0.01 or something.

The last few boxed sets I have bought, I have cooed over the book with good intentions to read it cover to cover and then I never get to the end.

Rosie_0801

I have that book, and it turned useful to get to know which fairy tale the images came from.

I think I've worked out most of them, but it's lucky you are in Norway or you'd have me on your door step wanting to be your new best friend! ;)

Carla

My main problem with big book sets is a lack of storage space. They take up too much room! Make the books smaller and the whole set more compact!

Serenia

If there is a book to go with the deck, I usually try to get the book as well. Otherwise I'd be afraid that, a few weeks or months later, I'd regret not having the book and maybe then it's not available anymore, or only as a set, so that I'd have to get a second deck just for the book.

I have to admit that, in most cases, I'm not really reading the book from the first to the last page, but it still feels good to have it available in case I want to read it one day.

Rhinemaiden

Whenever possible, I go for the set because, whether the companion book is good or bad, I like to see what the author wrote about the deck that I might not see.

And what you call being a perfectionist, I call being a "Completionist". ;)

My sentiments exactly. ;)

VGimlet

I prefer the deck only except in certain cases, such as a wildly unfamiliar system or an exceptionally beautiful or fun book.