Butterfly Effect

Dancing Bear

Have you ever thought about this?
We give our clients a sneeky peek into their futures.. We give them the possible outcomes..
Now that they know!

Our influence as readers on people lives.. How much of an impact are we or should i say the cards are?

Will our readings help them create the situation? ( Power of suggestion )
Or make the client , purposley determined that it not happen..

I know in some situations it is good thing..

I know for me.. even though i didnt hold much weight in someones reading..It does pop into the forefront on the odd occasion.. Not that anything has come to fruition ( it was all bad) Even though i think they didnt have much influence.. why would i remember this crappy reading??
How much does a good reading bare on someones mind.

I know with my own readings, when i get feedback a few weeks later.. the reading at times has changed a persons life in some way.. they do something differently , or are more mindful of something, More at ease etc.. surely even this slight change can affect what was or is to come??

Has anyone thought about this before??
How their Tarot readings influence other peoples lives and to what magnitude?
Do they have a Butterfly Effect?

Disa

I've thought about this from the very beginning. Not so much when I was learning the cards, but when I realized I'd start reading for other people. It's a HUGE responsibility to me. I think people vary in how much stock they put in the cards, so that's the tricky part. Some hang on every word you say and take it as the ultimate truth, others factor it in as just another direction they could take in their decision making process.

Though I haven't read for tons of people, I have seen my readings spread out from the querent to others they have told about it-possibly changing the direction of the querent, and those they told. At least, if nothing else, I've seen them stop and think about what was said way down the road. It's an amazing thing, and something I take very seriously.

JSNYC

Yep, I have thought a lot about it and I think it is a excellent and very pertinent topic. Whether Tarot's "prophesies" are "actual prophesies" or not, they can be self-fulfilling regardless. Even if the message is "divine", the interpretation is no where near so. And I am really not sure how I feel about this because if a Tarot reader has that "power" then the seeker gave it to them...

However, that statement is certainly not meant to excuse the abuse of that power. It just makes the question of how much (if any) "responsibility" a Tarot reader has in this regard quite... muddled. Too much fear could make a reader scared to venture an interpretation for fear of being wrong; too little and a reader could then be just rambling off interpretations with little regard for their potential effect. My (simplistic) conclusion is that this is certainly not a game and shouldn't be treated as such. (Unless clearly stated beforehand that it is. :laugh: )

Dancing Bear

I've thought about this from the very beginning. Not so much when I was learning the cards, but when I realized I'd start reading for other people. It's a HUGE responsibility to me. I think people vary in how much stock they put in the cards, so that's the tricky part. Some hang on every word you say and take it as the ultimate truth, others factor it in as just another direction they could take in their decision making process.

Though I haven't read for tons of people, I have seen my readings spread out from the querent to others they have told about it-possibly changing the direction of the querent, and those they told. At least, if nothing else, I've seen them stop and think about what was said way down the road. It's an amazing thing, and something I take very seriously.

I agree , It is a huge responsibility to me too!! and you are right some put loads of stock into a reading and others dont..Who they are we dont get to know half the time.
I take my readings very seriously too!! even if i do a party!
I dont tell people what they should do ever!

I had a client the other day ask , "will i lose my house?" The cards pointed to "Yes"
So i said as such!! whether this makes him give up the fight for his house.. Or whether it makes him more determined to keep it, I have no way of Knowing!! And it is out of my hands. But i have now planted a seed.. How this person acts on that seed is totally up to him.. he may choose not to act at all. But through giving this person the knowledge and answers he seeks through the cards..Has it now changed something?

Dancing Bear

Yep, I have thought a lot about it and I think it is a excellent and very pertinent topic. Whether Tarot's "prophesies" are "actual prophesies" or not, they can be self-fulfilling regardless. Even if the message is "divine", the interpretation is no where near so. And I am really not sure how I feel about this because if a Tarot reader has that "power" then the seeker gave it to them...

However, that statement is certainly not meant to excuse the abuse of that power. It just makes the question of how much (if any) "responsibility" a Tarot reader has in this regard quite... muddled. Too much fear could make a reader scared to venture an interpretation for fear of being wrong; too little and a reader could then be just rambling off interpretations with little regard for their potential effect. My (simplistic) conclusion is that this is certainly not a game and shouldn't be treated as such. (Unless clearly stated beforehand that it is. :laugh: )

Yes thats it..Are these prophesies "prophesies" or just an alternative route?
I have full faith in my cards and they 9/10 dont fail me in their predictions.
So for me my cards are Prophesies in a way.. but a prophesy that can be changed. Not hard and fast in stone. If the client so wishes.
Clients do give the reader that power a lot!! Unfortunately in some cases.
I do think readers have a responsibilty to an extent. watching how you say things.. Like never telling someone what to do!! Financial advise, health advice, counselling is a fine line etc.. I say that because we have the council of the cards that we interpret for the client.. and majority of my clients are seeking a way out of the situation they are in , and looking for good news.. and or how to fix things.

I read the cards as is!! dont pussy foot around.
So for me i take my job as a reader quite seriously.
I guess it could and does scare some people into feeling they are not confident enough to read for others yet. I think, so it should really.. because there is that possiblity that the client does give the cards and reader the power.. and the reading does take on that Butterfly Effect in a negative sense..
I know the client was sillly to put so much trust and power into a reading..( but some do) and some readers are very unsavoury.

But even like one reading i did.. I saw in the persons cards and palms they were going to have to wait to start a family.. This made My client more and more determined to prove me wrong.. LOL! I knew she would!! So i knew she didnt hang onto every word as gospel.. I knew she thought that the reading could be a possibility.. and in this case, she didnt like the possibility i was presenting. so my readings egged her on to make sure she had a family sooner..
It was all her doing in the grand scheme of things. But the part i played blows me away..
But what also blows me away is i will give another client the same sort of outcome and they will sit back and accept it as gospel and wait for it all to unfold in the time span the cards and palms have suggested.. This second scenario is what bothers me. I think what bothers me, are those clients who do give the readings the power and take them as gospel.

I do think about it often.. it doesn't make me fear reading for others..What it does do , is it reminds me of the responsibility i have as a reader..( which is a good thing)
and as you say Its not a game.. Unless stated as such before hand :D

celticnoodle

Yes, reading the cards for another is a huge responsibility. I have given many readings as well as been the receiver of many readings too.

I can recall when I was 16 and my family took a trip to the Ocean front (we did every summer), my sister, cousins and I went to a tarot card reader there who read in my cards that I would take a trip into space. :p "What a fruit loop!" I remember exclaiming to my sister and cousins about that.

but, years later, I began to astral travel............hmmmm...maybe she wasn't such a fruit loop after all! :p

the point being, as the receiver of a tarot card reading or any reading divination, one must always remember that THEY are in total control of the situation. If some bad news come through in the reading, you always have the power to work with it. I make sure I explain this to my clients as well, if and when things pop up.

Everyone wants a good reading of course, but that is not how life works for us, and so that is also not how tarot and other divination readings will go either.

as a reader, and hopefully, a responsible one at that, one needs to reassure their client when something bad pops up in the reading, that it is NOT carved in stone and that they can still have power over it, changing the outcome.

such as for your client, DB, who may lose his home. Because he was told that, he may be able to make changes that will either stop him from losing his home, or at least he can prepare himself for the loss and a new move into hopefully a more secure future.

The power always lies not with the tool divined with--but with the person (client) themselves.

RexMalaki

I reading describes a moment in time. The next moment things are already changing that may affect the situation described in the reading. The sitter may do things to affect the situation and the world at large can also affect the situation. To me, we all have free-will. The cards explain the hidden as it is in the NOW. In the LATER, the situation is different.

I also think it is important to remind a sitter of this in the moments before a reading. I read to HELP others not to tear them down. The way a situation is explained should be oriented to help the sitter even if the situation may be negative.

Thanks for listening to my humble viewpoint...

gregory

Yes I do believe in the butterfly effect - which is why I do not do predictive readings - the very fact of the reading changes the future, so I don't see how it can work. I know others make it work, but it seems to me, logically, that it can't. And yes, I take the responsibility of what I say very seriously.

Kosjitov

I believe in butterfly effects.

When I was younger, I saw things that later manifested in life, strangely enough even up to yesterday involving AT no less. I have purposely gone out of my way to change my reaction to every situation because I believe it was given to me to change small moments of my life and stop the negative ripples from travelling forth. A phrase you hear yourself saying, that you bite back when the time is upon you as an image/audio bit flashes in your head that matches a memory from way back, change your wording to be more friendly and less severe. Spitting out a sentence you've heard yourself say but mangling one of the middle words to the point of being unintelligible, because you know what you're about to say is going to be the same as it was THAT time you saw it. (Is there a word for this phenomena?)

I specifically have told people that I read for that the future is subject to change, but THEY control where they go. I can merely illuminate possibilities/options and that is the limit of what I can do. Of course, I did discuss with one of my querents about the schools of thought regarding tarot and how the act of getting a reading at all changes their future. Was kind of fun to hear these kinds of questions from people who aren't flat out "into it."

VGimlet

I feel a huge responsibility when I am reading for someone else.

I too, tell my clients that they can choose how they react and many times my readings are a heads-up to a situation that may arise. That this is what can happen, but they have a choice as to which path they want to follow. Sometimes my readings are predictive.

I am no pollyanna, for sure, but I also think I have a responsibility to always leave my clients with a positive note, no matter how dire the reading is. Knowing that the situation will not last forever is important.