Butterfly Effect

JSNYC

I read the cards as is!! dont pussy foot around.
So for me i take my job as a reader quite seriously.
I think this pretty much summarizes what I was trying to say. ;) However, I am not a professional reader so on this topic I tend to defer to those in this thread with more wisdom and experience than I. In these areas I tend to think it is more important to "have the conversation" than to "come to a conclusion". :)

ETA: Yes, I believe in the butterfly effect. I think it can be quite powerful.

Dancing Bear

Thanks guys for your responses, It sounds like we all are similar in thought about how we read and its effects on those who sit for us.

I am thinking seriously about contacting a few of my older clients and asking for a bit of feedback on some of their readings.
Just to see how the reading did or didnt affect them. Did they do something to make the outcome NOT happen? Did they just sit an wait? has it made them change things?

I know some people who dont believe a word you say , do nothing and are absolutely amazed that what was said comes to fruition. I have plenty of that type of feedback.

Just out of curiosity really!!
and Yes I believe in the Butterfly Effect.

Minotauro

yes , just knowing the future could change the future, I mostly use the cards for myself , but I rarely do predictive predictive readings , not because I t think it is not posible , but because I most of the times dont feel the need to know what will hapen before hand.

I believe things will only change if you change something , maybe in an active way , maybe just the way you see things or the way you think about them.

this would also have to do with the way you think about the future
fate, free will , karma , a merge of them all?

and the way you think the cards work a link tothe divine , colective conciousness , its all psycological , etc.

Disa

yes , just knowing the future could change the future, I mostly use the cards for myself , but I rarely do predictive predictive readings , not because I t think it is not posible , but because I most of the times dont feel the need to know what will hapen before hand.

This is interesting to me. I mostly use the cards for myself to see diff sides of a situation-check to see if there I things I am overlooking or that I could be doing differently. As far as the predictive part, I don't intentionally read for predictions, but sometimes they just happen. What I'm trying to get at is, well- don't you ever just "know" the future and how something will turn out - not just in readings but in life, in general? When a friend says- Oh, I'm moving here and things will be like this and this, and everything she is saying is going completely against what I "KNOW" will actually happen. When I get emails or read posts, often I know what it going to happen- not always. Anyway- I think that having the cards are a tangible thing that people can see and sometimes may be taken more seriously than if I just say what I know without them.

I may not be making any sense- it's 5:20 am and I've barely had 3 sips of coffee- but I guess what I'm trying to say is, the butterfly effect seems more evident to me when I use the cards than when I don't. Because I feel like people are paying closer attention- or something.

daphne

how the act of getting a reading at all changes their future.

Would someone please elaborate a little bit on this idea?

I read a theory from quantum physics that just the fact of looking at future patterns/possibilities will make them change.
Still trying to grasp this idea.

nisaba

Will our readings help them create the situation? ( Power of suggestion )
That is my conscious aim with all readings, that the client sees positive potential and later acts to bring it about.

Or make the client , purposley determined that it not happen..
That is also my conscious aim with all readings, that the client avoid possible risks and bad situations by changing the course of their actions.

Has anyone thought about this before??
How their Tarot readings influence other peoples lives and to what magnitude?
It's basic to my working-technique. I wouldn't be "doing my job" if I didn't do it.

Do they have a Butterfly Effect?
I soitenly hope so, Ollie!

Glass Owl

As I read through this thread I couldn't help but think about The Matrix films and the meeting between Neo and the Oracle in her kitchen. I love how she makes a point of giving Neo the head's up right away that her prophecies influence behavior.

Oracle: "What's really going to bake your noodle later on is, would you still have broken [the vase] if I hadn't said anything?"

The movie, Only You also explores how a prediction can influence future choices and the concept of fate vs free will. In Faith's case, she ends up basically on a wild goose chase thanks to a psychic who tells her that her true love's name is "Damon Bradley."

I've had a few Tarot readings that propelled me to act rather than sit around and wait (which is my natural tendency.) I have to wonder though if I hadn't responded as I did how would it have affected me and my life down the road. Perhaps the outcome would have been similar but the journey that got me there would have been different.

Minotauro

Would someone please elaborate a little bit on this idea?

I read a theory from quantum physics that just the fact of looking at future patterns/possibilities will make them change.
Still trying to grasp this idea.

yes.

just observing an event ( experiment , future , anythng) changes the result

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Schrödinger's_cat

look at schrodingers cat to get even more confussed.

it was an experiment regarding that , a paradox.

Minotauro

This is interesting to me. I mostly use the cards for myself to see diff sides of a situation-check to see if there I things I am overlooking or that I could be doing differently. As far as the predictive part, I don't intentionally read for predictions, but sometimes they just happen. What I'm trying to get at is, well- don't you ever just "know" the future and how something will turn out - not just in readings but in life, in general? When a friend says- Oh, I'm moving here and things will be like this and this, and everything she is saying is going completely against what I "KNOW" will actually happen. When I get emails or read posts, often I know what it going to happen- not always. Anyway- I think that having the cards are a tangible thing that people can see and sometimes may be taken more seriously than if I just say what I know without them.

I may not be making any sense- it's 5:20 am and I've barely had 3 sips of coffee- but I guess what I'm trying to say is, the butterfly effect seems more evident to me when I use the cards than when I don't. Because I feel like people are paying closer attention- or something.

no , I understand.

and although I cant say I "know " the future in the way you describe, I sometimes do see it in the cards , even if it wasnt my intention I get to know the most probable outcome , and I can see where you're coming from.

the reason why I dont really like predictive readings ( for myself) is that I alsways try to take my life and the events in it in my own hands.

for example , if I was going to go on a trip and I wanted to have a great time and have fun , and I did a predictive reading and found out it was gonna be pretty lame or boring , I would still go and try and have fun and a great time! and in that case what would have been the point of having a predictive reading?

I think it would be harder for me to go and try to have fun time if I alredy knew it was gonna be lame.

the same with dating or anything else , there's no rush , I can find out about most these things when they happen :)

why would I deny myself of actually living it? but oif course if someone else wants a predictive reading that's great , and I'll go ahead and do it for them. and it can be very usefull for important desicions.

but I preffer advice readings " what would be the best way to have fun/meet a guy/have a good relatuionship/get a good job" etc

because if the future can be changed thats all I need to know , that it CAN be changed , and then strive to have the best future I can, surprises and all.

sure I could've take an umbrella yesterday , but I'd have missed getting wet and having fun with my freiends ,we wouldnt have seen the trip back home as an adventure! we wouldnt have stolen trash bags from the janitors closet, we wouldnt have had those amazing hours of fun!

because in the end, it is life that deals the cards , but we're the one's who choose how to play them :)

I think shakespeare said that or something lol