Can you ask client for question

Umbrae

Let’s dig a bit deeper into the question, because it’s a really important question, but we got sidetracked on the misuse of the term ‘cold reading’.

The thesis question is:
pixie65 said:
…we were wondering whether it was ok to ask the person you are reading for what their question is?
I say it’s great to give a reading without knowing the question. Here’s the point about the question…

We have posts and posts on spreads and meanings and shuffling and cutting…and not a lot on the question. Without a proper question, it matters not what deck, what spread, or what moon phase - you're going to get *&#_@.

I usually ask a sitter to think upon the subject area, or if they have a specific question to write it down. I’ll tell them to be specific. Sometimes I’ll help them rewrite it. I’m not here to play ‘guess the question’, that’s for magicians, mentalists, and cold readers. I’m a Tarot Reader.

Let’s see what Lon Milo DuQuette says:
SECRET #6: THE QUESTION IS MORE IMPORTANT
THAN THE ANSWER

In his book Physics and Philosophy, Werner Heisenberg (1901-1976), one of the greatest physicists of the 20th century and one of the founders of quantum mechanics, said, "Nature never reveals itself to us as it is, but rather always through the questions we put to it:' He was obviously aware of the fortune-teller's sixth great secret.

The oracle knows everything, but for heaven's sake, don't expect it to read your mind when your mind hasn't even formulated a decent question! When it comes to consulting an oracle, you've got to do some work. You've got to be specific with your questions. If you haven't sufficiently formulated in your own mind what you want to know, then there is nothing to which the Superior Intelligence can respond.

Don't ask things like, "Should I quit my job and accept this new job offer?"

You'll get an answer for sure, and the answer will be, "What kind of ridiculous question is that? What are you asking here?"

"Should you?" Maybe you should because it will be good for your old boss, who wishes you were gone so he could hire someone who'll work for less money?

"Should you?" Maybe you should because your new boss will now have you to replace the last poor idiot he or she drove insane?

"Should you?" Maybe you should because, at your new job, you will accidentally blow up the factory, killing yourself and half the town, including a little baby who was destined to grow up to be worse than Hitler and destroy the world?

"Should you?" How do you expect the oracle to answer that?

The oracle could answer, "For heaven's sake no! You'll kill a little baby; or "Hell yes! Go ahead. Make your enemies happy. Save the planet!"

You've got to be specific. Give your question some thought and narrow it down to what you really want answered. When you become truly serious about your question, when you discard all the stupid little questions that address only the symptoms of your predicament, when you finally come to terms with yourself as to what you really want to know, then the question becomes the answer. In that golden moment, the answer is everywhere, and you can see it in anything you observe.

I'm going to repeat that in bold letters:

When you actually know the question, the answer is everywhere, and you can see it in anything you observe.

Lon Milo DuQuette – The Book of Ordinary Oracles

some editorial emphasis added

If you’re going to use a question – it had better be really specific, or the answer will be as ambiguous as the question.

Over in this other thread we were discussing this same thing also, how the sitter and readers bias can affect the result in ‘third person’ readings due to what boils down to a real basic flaw – a poorly stated question.

So folks…here’s the kicker…

Ya wanna read Tarot for strangers? Either spend 5-10 minutes of a 30 minute reading getting the question correct, or use no question at all – and trust the cards.

Only my opinion…

Sinduction

I so disagree with you! :)

I never use questions at all. The cards have a way of telling my querents certain things. Take my last one for example. She told me she wanted to know about her love life but the cards wanted to tell her about her parents. It turns out that she was taking care of them in her home when they really needed to have more care. But since this was interfering with her life to such an extent that having a love life was impossible, I told her that once she took care of this issue perhaps the next reading would give her more input on the issue.

I find it doesn't matter what they ask, the tarot tells them what is most important. But I don't use spread positions either.

P.S. - I still think you rock :)

Umbrae

Sinduction said:
I so disagree with you! :)

I never use questions at all…

I find it doesn't matter what they ask, the tarot tells them what is most important. But I don't use spread positions either.

Actually – you agree with me, as I wrote a few posts back…

Umbrae said:
I actually prefer to read without knowing the underlying question…There may be causes and issues in the world of the sitter that are root causes, underlying needs and fears that should be addressed first.

Had a sitter back in February who wanted to know about her spiritual path. The entire thread was about work – card after card after card.

Just did a follow-up reading for her…same cards, fewer positions. See – her work is connected to her spiritual path, not separate from it. You have to trust what the cards tell you, and deliver the message the cards provide – not try to twist them to fit the question.

Sinduction

Argh! Why are you always right? I need to learn how to read.

I do hate it when people expect me to perform. I should take my little crystal ball with me from now on for those moments. "I see great destruction in your future... a firey car accident...beware of threes..."

Umbrae

Sinduction said:
...I should take my little crystal ball with me from now on for those moments. "I see great destruction in your future... a firey car accident...beware of threes..."
"Three flavors of ice cream, three slices of bananas, and two children with you - the smile could be contagious, the laughter joyful."