Darkest Devil

Sophie

psychic sue said:
Again, relating to sex (I am not obsessed BTW, this is just an illustration!) he can bring the most amazing sexual experiences! Maybe shedding light on to an area we previously had not experienced.

Sometimes we all need a little Lucifer in our lives })
hehe, I was definitely thinking of that too })

He is absolutely necessary to an artist too.

Parzival

What about the two in neck-chains ? Are they so free? That torch only Liberates if it is turned into Light by "Strength"--- if it takes control, it gives a bad case of heart-burn (pun). It either liberates or incarcerates, depending on what our consciousness does with it, or what it does to our consciousness. --

Look to devil's torch :
Burning-red lava flowing,
Golden sun, glowing.

Grasp hold, have some fun,
Don't deny delight its day :
Other Love will come

Temper'd red with gold,
Not too hot, yet not too cold:
Sunrise softly bold.

Sophie

No Frank, they are not free. They are who we see in the mirror the devil holds up to us.

They are us - unfree until we can use that torch to see just how unfree we are, and to break our chains/taboos. But I agree our consciousness has a lot to do with it! And we need Strength, too...those devil highs can be addictive.

BTW - Happy Birthday, Frank - I wish you a great deal of Strength, and if you dance with the Devil...wear gloves ;)

Rosanne

Soooo True Frank Hall and a very Happy Birthday to you!! Was that your Poem?

Parzival

Thanks for the Happy Birthday. The loose haiku are my efforts at communing with the card.

gilded goat

lots of people are like moths-we flutter around a light bulb instead of going out into the moonlight
the devils torch is our light bulb,the desires we have keep us hovering about it not realising we have lost our way; its only when we slip out of the window that we realise our mistake and head off into the moonlight, then do the same again untill, once more, we take off after the sunlight of our Self

wandking

guilded goat....

I really like that "moth to flame" analogy for this card. Here's my musings on The Devil:

15 – THE DEVIL
The Devil beckons from the darkness of abuse, on one of the most abused cards in readings. Often misread by those afraid to accept the shadowy side of humanity, this devil makes people edgy. It is easy to read into the card that an outside devil caused us to perform a detestable act. In fact, people rarely commit evil deeds because outside forces control their actions. Like most Tarot trumps, The Devil offers a personal lesson. The card suggests that denying a sinister side gives it power. Liberating this demon will finally imprison you. The Devil hides his objectives by calling them painful insight. What he provides is certainly not illuminating. Once in charge, The Devil reverses your existence by turning truth into lies, so he wears an inverted pentagram as a crown. If this card appears in a spread, it suggests a time of submitting to the shackles of a self-lie, as we seek someone else to blame. Allowing others to control your life creates flesh and blood devils to accuse while playing the role of helpless victim. In truth, you are not a victim and certainly not helpless.

When this card appears, it can indicate alcohol, chemical or gambling addictions. It can also show co-dependency issues and unhealthy preoccupations with material matters. Pay particular attention to the possibility that you may be overly concerned with finances when this card appears, because it derives energy from Capricorn, the astrology sign most closely associated with money. Capricorn historically leads to a mythological satyr called Pan, which presents a horned image that influences most modern artistic depictions of Satan. An important lesson The Devil teaches is that you can break free from dark limitations whenever you choose. Chains binding the figures on The Devil hang loosely enough to slip right over their horny heads. Indeed, wicked ideas will occasionally haunt your thoughts but if you accept responsibility for them, the mental chains The Devil embodies shall disappear. To gain freedom from bondage, accept dark motivation as a shadow cast upon the brilliant human intellect. After accepting the shadow, you can move toward the light of intelligence instead of continuing to submit to inner darkness.

If The Devil emerges in a spread, it usually implies reluctance to take responsibility or lack of control in life. Occasionally overt action serves as a chain but more likely inaction holds you back. Relinquishing control leads to loss of hope and lack of faith in personal ability. Ignorance, greed and fear represent a three-pronged pitchfork of The Devil. Focusing on gratification, wealth and power, while ignoring inner assets such as a sense of responsibility, shackles us to a shallow existence of tyranny. Stripping away mental clarity, creativity and character, exposes our naked psyche to social flames. After singeing your reputation, you might not wish to regain control. In the final analysis, it matters little who receives the blame because after the smoke clears, you will be the one in flames.

Mental outlook is critical whenever this card appears in a spread. If you think darkness has won, it has. Fear and resignation are the strongest chains of an inner devil. Gandhi broke the chains of tyranny that bound India, with words like these: “When there is fear, there is no religion. Fear is not a disease of the body; fear kills the soul.” It is now time to stop blaming those around you for self-induced problems that you are afraid to face. Indeed, it is far easier to blame others for our shortcomings, than it is to take responsibility and correct problems in life but if you allow others to exploit or restrain you, they will. No one holds power over you unless you relinquish that power. When you are willing to release yourself from those chains of ignorance and fear, you can step into true illumination. Look at yourself to uncover what you were previously afraid to reveal. Shadows vanish after we alter the focus of our mental light. Looking at your internal devil is the fastest way to make him fade away. Remember, truly evil devils are those we create then refuse to acknowledge but even with them, wearing those heavy chains is a choice. It is just as the ancient Roman poet Virgil said at around 50 BCE, “Each of us bears his own Hell.”

caridwen

gilded goat said:
lots of people are like moths-we flutter around a light bulb instead of going out into the moonlight
the devils torch is our light bulb,the desires we have keep us hovering about it not realising we have lost our way; its only when we slip out of the window that we realise our mistake and head off into the moonlight, then do the same again untill, once more, we take off after the sunlight of our Self

Rather than the moonlight it would be wiser to wander under the stars.

"We are all in the gutter, but some of us are looking at the stars." Oscar Wilde

Sue I thought your observations on the upturned genitals very very interesting and perceptive:)

ArcanoMáximo

For me The Devil card is always BAD.
The beings are not little devils, they are people with the devil inside them, what is shown with the horns and tails, but they have not the entire form of the devil.
The Devil is the Incubo, and the beings, i should say eventually we, are the Súcubos, seducted by the God of this World, so called by the Christ when said: "The God of this World comes to me and don't fund one place where to handle"...( Note he didn’t say The Devil. I guess that word was firt used by catolics, and i’ve read that has his origins in a gipsy word for "foreigner" or "stranger").
But in these beings he really has where to handle, to handle with chains!!! Because the Devil is against our free will, and the way of control is the material temptations,the pure materialistic (shown i guess in the FAT devil’s body and horns and tails, materilas extensions of the physic part of the being) the vicious, for instance showns in this card with alcohol (wine:the grapes in the female tail ) and smoke or drugs ( the fire in the male being tail, and the proper cigarrette in the devil's left hand).
At the opossite the right hand is with which we lead things at the most, the hand of self decition, where lies our will, but here is only the devil who lifts it. As is shown with this card women are traditionally asociated with passivity and males with activity and control, but here is even not the case because the masculine being hardly lifts his right hand in a very delicate form, very similar to a queer.
Here they are naked not for natural sex (by pleasure or procreation), but for sexual abuse or in exchange for drugs and money, in fact they are like those prostitutes staying at a corner or boulevar, all wich happens generally in the darkness of the night, where you can’t be able of to see the wings of your energetic vampire enemie close up! I’m not talking in a false moral sense. Prejudices are differents things.
I’m speaking about the causes that do peolple make that. I’ll never agree with sex with babies or animals. Many authors say: “it is easy take out the chains”i think isn’t, may be not even a facing issue. While you have the chain around your neck, your horns will continue growing up but one time inside, it’s very hard to find the ligth, the exit door.
And this fire never wastes away because isn’t fricional fire, it’s cold electronic fire, as the fire in the tree of Moisés, but against. It’s not like the Strengh card, this is the card of the real SIN: the fact that don’t to see that we are much more than that, and that every thing is sacred, starting with our own body, and following with that we are a lot more than meat, and that sometime we will must response by our acts, specially when we go against someone else free will.
EVERY THING has Karma, but in this case i guess is the worst. Take care of the Devil’s hand! Take care of what in Uruguay we say:" el Diablo metió la cola"
AM*

ArcanoMáximo

a Devil's game?

And what about that the Fifth Essence of Tarot is The Devil card?
78 cards
7+8=15
XV The Devil
although we can find The Lovers yet, i guess...
(1+5=6 The Lovers)
hmmmm.....