DC's Tarot Notes! The Four Suits

osami2717

So...if I get a reading with lots of Cups and Wands... Do they cancel each other out?? Does that make the reading more positive or more negative? If I'm doing a relationship reading does that bode ill for said relationship?

I'm confused. [not uncommon--but I'll muddle through some how.] You listed quite a selection of books. Any suggestions on which one I should check out to learn more about this?

I can't wait until you post the rest of the suits.
This is SO educational!!
thanks

LaLaBella

When you mix wands and cups, the wands creativity can become unfocused because of the emotionality (is that a word?) of cups. It will also depict an instability of the emotions (cups) because both signs deal more with the emotions. There is no practicality to offset the flights of fancy or gut instincts.
Hope this makes a little more sense.
Edited to add: The two books that I've gotten the most info from are the book that accompanies The Secret Tarot by Jane Lyle and Helen Jones, and Tarot for a New Generation by Janina Renee.

dc

LaLaBella

Swords

Swords-

Element: Air
Season: Spring
Zodiac Signs: Gemini, Libra, and Aquarius
Elemental Spirit: Sylph
Human Experience: Intellectual, the mind
Psychological Function: Thinking
Life Stage: Old Age
Virtues: Justice, Temperance
Vices: Pride
Keywords: Logic, Intellect
Highest Power: Clarity

Less or Absent Swords-
Lack of objectivity, reason and logic
Being carried away by one’s imagination

More or Excessive Swords-
Overwhelmed by intellectual matters
Intense study is creating stress (exams)
Independence

Weakened by:
Pentacles, denotes a conflict between wishful thinking and reality. Impractical ideas or an inability to work with what is suggested.

Strengthened by:
Wands, offering energy and inspiration to back up well-thought-out ideas or plans.
Cups will add creativity to the structure.

Depicts:
(+) Mental Activity-thought, logic, reason. Offers clarity, balance, communication and verbal dexterity. States of mind rather than actual events, conversations rather than actions. Communication, travel, powerful ideas. Worries. Important decisions. Major choices, truth, justice. Foresight, boldness, courage. Moving on

(-) Power of anxiety, pessimism, self-pity and limited thinking. Strife, tension. Upset, conflict, struggle, hostile forces. Obstacles, disagreements, worries, troubles, Problems, stress, pressure. Separations, broken-relationships. Unkept promises, confusion, sarcasm, threats, danger. Animosity, irritability, disappointments, loss, setbacks. Legal actions, sickness, overwork, accidents

Traits:
(+) Manifest in wit and wordplay, precise definition, scientific reasoning & elegant analysis. Mental, communicative, intellectual, detached, cool, calculating, impartial, discerning, serious, analytical. Head over heart. Strong-minded, determined. On the go. Truth seeking. Interested in abstractions. Courageous and self-disciplined
(-) Brings discord & strife, trouble, bondage and betrayal. Aloof. Impersonal. Insensitive to or uncomfortable with feelings. Avoids intimacy. Aggressive. Spiteful.

Areas of Influence:
Decisions, mental activity of all kinds, intellectual stimulus. Verbal and written communication, including libel and slander, public relations exercises, lies and misinformation.

Occupations:
The law; science-especially physics and astronomy; mathematics; computer technology; games of logic and mental skill; feats of memory. Intellectuals, Journalists. Communicators. Travelers. Arbitrators. Doctors. Paid Advisors, Judges. Enforcers of the Law. Military Leaders.

LaLaBella

Pentacles

Pentacles-

Element: Earth
Season: Winter
Zodiac Signs: Capricorn, Taurus, and Virgo
Elemental Spirit: Earth Spirit (beasts)
Human Experience: Physical, the body
Psychological Function: Senses/instinct
Life Stage: Middle Age
Virtues: Charity, Prudence
Vices: Gluttony, Avarice
Keywords: Structure
Highest Power: Wisdom

Less or Absent Pentacles-
A time of ill health
Lacking financial resources
Career transition: a period of unemployment or work instability
Impatience, imprudence

More or Excessive Pentacles-
Materialism
A windfall, inheritance, or win
Physical self-indulgence

Weakened by:
Swords-excessive thinking and theorizing diminishes or undermines practical action. The result is stagnation; inertia
Strengthened by:
Wands-symbolizes practical energy, realistic goals and the necessary grit and determination to fulfill dreams.
Neutral:
Cups-Provides feelings to the practicality of pentacles.

Depicts:
(+) Material things; the physical plane. Business. Possessions. Money. Property. Inheritance. Real Estate. Wealth. Savings. Talents. Training. Education. Study time. Profit. Giving and receiving. Tangible Reality. Matter. The physical body and the state of its health. Work, values & skills. Management, results, financial security. Practicality. Construction. Nature. Domestic Matters. Emotional security. Sensual pleasure. Salt of the earth.
(-) Inability to see value in anything besides material accumulation/possession (think, Ebenezer Scrooge) Ridicule of any interest in futurism, sentiment, mysticism or anything not connected to the physical/material realm.

Traits:
(+) Resourceful. Service oriented. Dutiful. Practical. Down-to-earth. Realistic. Pragmatic. Efficient. Sensible. Decent. Reliable. Persistent. Thorough. Educational.
(-) Plodding. Insensitive. Materialistic. Money-minded (both + and -). Dull. Taciturn. Unimaginative. Selfish. Snobbish. Rigid thinking.

Areas of Influence:
Physical Reality, the 5 senses & their pleasures
Worldly Concerns- $$$, property as in home or long-term investment.
Routine daily work or physical work for gain or pleasure
Individual Status be it at home, among friends, at work, or in a community
All issues involving practical commitments
School of hard knocks worldly experience

Occupations: Bankers. Business People. Accountants. Property managers. Builders. Farmers. Students. Laborers. Construction workers.

Phoenix

Wow. I am impressed!!! I love those two books too, although mine is the Renaissance Tarot by Jane Lyle.

Way to go!! Love your wands/cups interpretations!

starr

Wow and thanks this will kep me busy reading for awhile and inspire me to work on my notes and journal.

Starr

Trogon

SUPER

DollChica;

Thank you again for all your work puting this together! You did an excellent job.... So... what's your next project? ;)

Trogon

LaLaBella

Wow! Thanks everyone :D I'm glad that my notes are helping others.
My next project...numbers!!! Going to start with the Ace and move on down the line. This will be more time consuming for me though because most books take the suit approach. Then...the Court Cards and I'm saving the Major Arcana for last.
I have an out-of-print Jane Lyle book on the way called The Key to Tarot. I'll let y'all know how it works out.
Thanks again! :)

dc

Kirali

Thanks again for taking the time to collect and post this information Dollchica! It's so nice and neat and easy to read. I've printed them out for my journal and I keep re-reading through them.

You did a wonderful job. I can't wait to see any further info posts from you! :)

~Kirali

amyel

OmiGawd! It all Makes sense!!!

DC, THANKS!!!!!! If I cold make Kiama kisses, i would.

For the first time, I *finally* got what a reading filled with wands & swords meant! For so many years, I kept getting these two together - or wands & pentacles.

Your posts have been really enlightening. I am going to copy them on to one sheet and print out two copies: one for me and one for step-daughter who is just learning!