DC's Tarot Notes! The Four Suits

osami2717

Thank you, thank you!!

Your explanation really helped me to understand.
I've noticed a lot of cups and wands in my last couple of readings and after reading this I have a better grasp of the situation. Your explanation is 'dead center'.

And I love your posts on swords and pentacles :D
Looking forward to future posts. [thanks for the books suggestions...I'll see if I can find them for some more in depth research]

*walks away singing..."Happiness is mine...Mine...MINE!!"*

starfish66

Just wanted to add my thanks too :) These notes really help clear up some things about the mixing of the suits in a spread.

:TEMPS Starfish

Trogon

DollChica (and anyone else who wants to jump in... :) );

In your notes on the Cups you wrote:

"Less or Absent Cups-Qualities that are lacking or need development
Emotional coldness or distaste
Emotional needs not being fulfilled"

Does this mean when there are very few or no Cups that "there are qualities which this person is lacking or needs to develop, or there is emotional coldness, etc." Or does it mean "the qualities that are lacking or need to be developed have to do with emotional coldness or distaste, etc"?

Thanks again for all your hard work putting this together so far... sure looking forward to the next installment. ;)

John

Strega

DollChica,

Wonderful! I am enjoying this thread. Keep up the good work! :)

LaLaBella

It depends on the person and the situation.
I tend to think of Ebenezer Scrooge when I think of a reading without cups or wands. He cannot see past the ability to make money, which is his armor against the world. He tramples on everyones feelings, including those of his only living relative. He has the empathy of a pet rock. There is no charity in his soul. Until he sees the ultimate consequences of his actions. Once he developed his Cups and Wands qualities, his life became richer in every way.
Not enough or absent cups means that there is more to the situation or life in general than you see with your eyes. Maybe it's time you looked at it with your heart instead of your head.
I hope this clears it up some.
dc

Phoenix

I like the way you interpret things Doll!!

But I wouldn't necessarily see a lot of swords and pentacles a bad thing. Depending on the cards that come up, they could mean what you say, but also, they could mean that a person us using his brain/intellect/intelligence to get himself ahead. I see it as someone who is focused on his goals.

LaLaBella

Very true. It depends on the person. For an emotional person, a reading with lots of pentacles and swords can mean "Yo! Get your head out of the clouds and focus!"

osami2717

One more question...

When it says Less/Absent and More/Excessive...How can you tell in a reading? Is there a ratio to follow?

Let me test my understanding...I'll use the Celtic Cross as an example, since I use that spread the most [for now]

There are 10 cards in the C.C. and you can get Major Arcana, Cups, Wands, Swords, and Pentacles...that's five different possibilities.
Should I take the existing number of cards in the spread and divide them by 5?
That would be an average of 2 cards per 'type'...

So, is it safe to say that 0-1 would be considered less/absent, 2 would be about average and more than that would be more/excessive?

Does that sound about right? Or am I pondering this to death?

But what about larger spreads? Should I be able to follow the same guideline on that? And what about smaller spreads?

ooohhh my brain feels like it's frying... ^^'
[But I love it 'cause I've never had anyone to talk 'shop' with before!! So, please, forgive the occassional stupid questions.]

--Oh and by the way, thanks again for the book suggestions, I couldn't find the one you mentioned but I found another book by Janina Renee called 'Tarot Your Everyday Guide' last week. So far I've found it to be easy to understand and full of practical advice.--

*^_^* thanks!!

LaLaBella

Don't base it on averages. For instance, I did a CC reading and had about 5 cups cards in the reading. In other words, my head was in the clouds a little to much and some grounding was definitely necessary. What you can do is just count the suits real fast and see if anything about the proportions stands out. That's what I do.
I've been busy with planning the AF Ball (it was last night) and haven't been able to work more on these notes. But I'll be back on it as soon as I get caught up with my real job :D

dc

cuddles

wonderful post.

i'm in the phase of early learning when you start to feel a bit overwhelmed and unsure of yourself. i've stopped trying to do spreads that are too advanced for me and that's helping...lol.

i like what you've written so far and can't wait for the numbers!