Deck ID (with a nice story)

Le Fanu

Can anyone identify the kooky Spanish Majors and the Totem Bird deck? How on earth am I going to catalogue them in my deck list archives? :D

GadgetGirl

Awww how lovely!! No such thing as a coincidence eh? These obviously had your name on them. And what a lovely bloke this repair chap is to think of you. Fabulous story.

cronegoddess54

All I can say is WOW! That is fantastic that you were able to obtain these beautiful cards....and to think they may have been trashed! You are a lucky devil you.....lucky cards to find a great home! The Spanish and the Oracle are lovely...hope you find out what they are.
CG54

Faolainn Storm

I recognise the birds - I have a set that came with the "Learn and Understand Astrology" partwork, published by Hachette. They are called "Bird of Omen" cards and were one of a number of divination sets that came with the series. There should be 52 cards. This series is also probably where the astrology board came from.

FS

Stormdancer

Le Fanu said:
Unidentifiable Spanish Oracle deck. Totem birds? Who knows...
I WANT this...
Faolainn Storm said:
I recognise the birds - I have a set that came with the "Learn and Understand Astrology" partwork, published by Hachette. They are called "Bird of Omen" cards and were one of a number of divination sets that came with the series. There should be 52 cards. This series is also probably where the astrology board came from.

FS
And this means I should be able to find them, right???

Dude??? You are one of the luckiest peeps I know!!!

Faolainn Storm

Stormdancer said:
I WANT this...
And this means I should be able to find them, right???
Possibly, but unlikely. The partwork was released in the late 90s (if I remember correctly) and as it ended up at 140 issues, I'm not sure if many people got the whole set. I have seen bits and pieces of it on ebay, but never a whole set. I'd would be hard work finding all of them (or even just the 26 particular issues that had the bird cards).

I don't know if it was ever released in the US. My edition has contact details for Australia, New Zealand, South Africa and Malta, and as Le Fanu has a Spanish version, it suggests that it was released in Europe.

And the last time I looked at the publishers website, they didn't have it listed as one of their works, so I doubt there is any back stock.

Which all means, I'm sorry to say, it is highly unlikely that you will find a set :(.

FS

Laura Borealis

This is something I have only dreamed of... you are indeed very lucky! But you helped Lady Luck along by befriending your Russian odd-jobs man, and by reading for him. If anyone deserved those cards, it's you. :)

(I'm very jealous of the RWS!)

Stormdancer

Faolainn Storm said:
Possibly, but unlikely.
FS
CRAP :mad: But thanks for the info (((FS)))

Stormdancer

laura_borealis said:
... you are indeed very lucky! But you helped Lady Luck along by befriending your Russian odd-jobs man, and by reading for him. If anyone deserved those cards, it's you. :)
I'm just gonna ditto this, since my other hand has a peanut butter crepe in it...Luck is one thing, but YOU made this luck...just sayin'.....

Cerulean

The English Rider Waite -- I also found one last month

Le Fanu said:
...and I've no idea about this one! :D

Pretty good stash, huh?

Almost destroyed forever. How sad would that be?

------------------------------------
I'm glad for you Le Fanu! I found one of these last month in a two-piece lidded box and it was $8.00. Box a little worse for wear, but the cream-colored little booklet and lack of copyright on the bright pictures makes this a treasured and user-friendly version for me.

Hope you enjoy the "vintage" English deck for a change or reference...

Best,

Cerulean