Deck ID (with a nice story)

nisaba

<small voice> I'm still in love with those birds. Who needs a complete set, when you'll have to work your own meanings anyway?

Mi-Shell

Ooooooh!
What a treasure!
Congratulations, Le Faun!
I too am in Looooove with the Bird cards!!!!!

Le Fanu

nisaba said:
<small voice> I'm still in love with those birds. Who needs a complete set, when you'll have to work your own meanings anyway?
But isn't this a great idea for an Oracle? All the superstitions surrounding birds. I guess the idea is that the Oracle works with the meanings attached to what traditionally people felt the sighting of a certain bird would augur. So if you see a stork (i.e if you get the stork card) it means one thing, magpie another, Crow another, owl another. All the potential for meaning and divination that there is in birds!

why doesn't someone get this out as a MM edition?

I really wish I had the complete set now that I think about the concept.

Faolainn Storm

Looking at the new pictures the astrology boards, rings, and the I Ching board are all part of the "Learning and Understanding Astrology" set, as is the large yellow box (it's identical to mine but I can't read Spanish, so I don't know what the set was called in Spain).

Looking at the bits and pieces you got, it seems the original owner bought at least the first fifty issues - the birds ran from issue 30 to 94, so its possible they never even got the whole set.

nisaba said:
(I'm *sure* it's quite readable)
Not to me. 52 very similar pictures on matching brocade backgrounds. Many of them of birds I've never heard of. For me it would take a huge amount of memorising what each bird meant before I could read with it.

But don't ask - I am a completionist and there is no way I am breaking up a set. :D

FS

ETA: Just noticed the runes - they look very much like the ones that came with the set. If they are complete the original owner got up to at least issue 80.

Le Fanu

what wonderful detective work, FS. The runes I notice are not complete. There are 16 of them. The Birds Of Omen Oracle has 26 cards. So the set is not complete. I'm not too bothereed though. Did the Large Burdel Majors also come with this set, do you know?

What I am most happy with, really, is the RWS without a copyright on the cards. Oh the difference it makes!

Faolainn Storm

Le Fanu said:
what wonderful detective work, FS. The runes I notice are not complete. There are 16 of them. The Birds Of Omen Oracle has 26 cards. So the set is not complete. I'm not too bothereed though. Did the Large Burdel Majors also come with this set, do you know?
No, it came with the Marseilles mentioned in this thread plus an 81 card "Egyptian Tarot" (it maybe Egyptian, but it is certainly not a Tarot).

FS

Le Fanu

Thank you! I saw this other Marseilles when it came to me for the Frankendecken. The Egyptian Tarot which I have with all this stuff is a standard 78 card deck, so it son't be the one you mention. But thank you for all your insights anyway. Much appreciated!

KhonsuMes

Those birds

Le Fanu said:
why doesn't someone get this out as a MM edition?

Yes, what a cool thing that would be.

Le Fanu said:
I really wish I had the complete set now that I think about the concept.

Heres hoping that concept takes fire in the mind of someone with the whole set.
I also like the idea that a byproduct of studying the cards, you'd be learning about the natural world, and maybe pay it more attention too, never a bad thing.

Herzog

What a great story :)

Satori

Wow. Fanu you have been blessed! I too would love to have a large, hulking man deliver several mystery decks to my door on a cold evening....LOL. What a fantastic story.

Yes Fanu, there is a Santa Claus! :)