Deck ID (with a nice story)

Essjay

Such a lovely story :D

All from one simple reading, what a lovely man to bring them to you.

Satori

Essjay said:
Such a lovely story :D

All from one simple reading, what a lovely man to bring them to you.
You make a great point here Essjay. Never underestimate the power of the free reading. Wonderful things happen when we offer our gifts up out of kindness and love.

willoe

That's such an awesome story Le Fanu! It's very true, you do make your own luck, and this is just proof. That haul is fantastic. :)

Le Fanu

Satori said:
Never underestimate the power of the free reading
Funny... I never connected the two, but - yes - you're right. I mean, quite apart from my fun in giving him a free reading, he would never have known about my interest in cards if I had never got them out in the first place.

emmsma

What a fabulous story. How wonderful for you to have received these lovely decks!

Essjay

Satori said:
You make a great point here Essjay. Never underestimate the power of the free reading. Wonderful things happen when we offer our gifts up out of kindness and love.

I remember having a free reading once, it was a palm reading from a lady who walked into a salon I was in. I've never forgotten it, she said some amazing things :)

truelighth

Le Fanu said:
Until your post Cerulean, I hadn't noticed it didn't have the copyright on the front of the cards (I knew it felt special, couldn't pinpoint why; it felt nicer than my other versions). I have a couple of slightly different Rider & Co RWS decks but they both have U.S Games copyright on the bottom right hand corner. This one doesn't! Hurrah!

I am pretty sure that your RWS pre-dates the U.S. Games copyright and so it was published before 1971. If I remember correctly, it is also sometimes referred to as the travellers' version of the RWS. Published by Rider & Co indeed. With a two-lidded box in blue. Nice find!

Le Fanu

Thank you for that info! But isn't the Traveller's version a smaller version?

rwcarter

Could also be a Weiser yellow box edition (which therefore doesn't have any USG identifiers anywhere on it) or a USG yellow box before the 14-17th printing of the LWB.

truelighth

rwcarter said:
Could also be a Weiser yellow box edition (which therefore doesn't have any USG identifiers anywhere on it) or a USG yellow box before the 14-17th printing of the LWB.

No, it definately has a blue box. You can see that on the pictures.

As for your question about the traveller's version being smaller.. I am afraid I don't know. I seem to remember the blue box version from Rider&Co being referred to as the traveller version. But now I am not sure anymore. I will need to check.

Edited to say:
Ok, just checked my sources. You are right, it is not the Traveller's version. My mistake. I kinda always thought the blue boxed Rider RWS was called Traveller's Tarot, but that one is indeed a mini deck and much smaller. Moreover, it has the name Traveller's Tarot on the box. But this sure is a deck published by Rider&Co, since they use that blue box.