Deck of the Week : Sign-up Thread: Week 209 : August 1 - August 7

madhatter00o

Madhatter - I hear you with balancing studies with everything else! I am also trapped in the wonderful torture of grad school, but this week is a bit of a breather for me. Tarot will still be there, as it has been for centuries ;) Good luck getting your paper done!

I also love myself some Marseille and other historical decks, I find the pips quite freeing to read. You should join the TdM reading circle one of these months, it was my first foray into reading circles and was quite fun :)

Thanks for the encouragement and for the advice on the TdM! I guess I tend to be quite hard on myself. I just have to keep thinking, "It'll all be done tomorrow... tomorrow.. @_@"

The TdM really seems to be one of those decks that necessitates actually sitting down with it and practicing with it in order to read. From what I've gathered on the Marseilles/Historical Decks Forums at AT, there are so many ways to read it -- the pips especially -- that you just kind of have to work with the deck and see what it's telling you and how it's relating that to you. It's all getting me rather excited... I love Tarot-study projects ^_^

RiverRunsDeep

Well, hmmph. No sooner did I decide to use my Druid Craft for
dreamwork than I stopped remembering my dreams! :rolleyes:

Mostly, I've been keeping the cards nearby, shuffling them, playing
solitaire with them, appreciating the images and imagining different
ways I can trim the borders. Trying not to "force" a reading for the
moment.

I looked back at my deck interview reading, and now I'm wondering if
the 7 of Cups was referring to dreamwork after all. It could have been
reinforcing the practical nature of the Pentacle cards, telling me that
I need to be more focused in order to appreciate this deck. I have been
extremely scattered this week (prepping for vacation!!), so there may not
have been a connection for me no matter which of my decks I had chosen.

Madame Squee

I have had my Shadowscapes for a while but other than a quick look through each card have done nothing with it. It deserves much more (and OMG I love the purple), so I have been getting ready to work with it.

<snip>

I have also been knitting an iridescent lavender bag for this deck, and have ordered some Viva Decor in Hydrangea to gild the edges, both of which should also be done this week :D

It's my b-day and not sure if its good or not that the highlight of my day is sitting back with some ginger cider and getting lost in some tarot cards, lol.
Happy belated birthday, Phenix!!! It sounds like it was the perfect day! :party:

I would love to see your new lavender knitted bag and the new edges on your Shadowscapes. Is Viva Decor a metallic finish or a stain? Have you gotten good results with it before?

Making a special bag and/or enhancing a deck's physical appearance always brings me closer to a new deck. It revives my interest in old ones, too.

Madame Squee

After working at it since Monday, I finally posted a reading with the Norse Tarot this morning. It's in the Deck of The Week Readings - NEW 2015.

Comments are welcome!

The Norse Tarot is one of my first tarot decks -- I think I got it in 2002. The cards in the photo attached to the reading are from my working deck, which I trimmed and cornered with a scissors to eliminate a wide white border.

Phenix

The TdM really seems to be one of those decks that necessitates actually sitting down with it and practicing with it in order to read. From what I've gathered on the Marseilles/Historical Decks Forums at AT, there are so many ways to read it -- the pips especially -- that you just kind of have to work with the deck and see what it's telling you and how it's relating that to you. It's all getting me rather excited... I love Tarot-study projects ^_^

Yup, especially with the TdM I feel like I need to just jump in and get reading! I often feel like I need to "study" things first (I'm such an instruction manual reader, lol), but I had to drop all that with the TdM and just find out what the deck was telling me by practicing. I spent far to long thinking I "couldn't" read TdM until I just...did it. Good luck!

I looked back at my deck interview reading, and now I'm wondering if
the 7 of Cups was referring to dreamwork after all. It could have been
reinforcing the practical nature of the Pentacle cards, telling me that
I need to be more focused in order to appreciate this deck. I have been
extremely scattered this week (prepping for vacation!!), so there may not
have been a connection for me no matter which of my decks I had chosen.

Ha! I bet once you stop trying to think about your dreams, they will pop back super vivid, lol. I hope you have a blast on your vacation, maybe by giving the DruidCraft a break after this brief introduction, you will be able to come back to it and make a better connection.

Happy belated birthday, Phenix!!! It sounds like it was the perfect day! :party:

I would love to see your new lavender knitted bag and the new edges on your Shadowscapes. Is Viva Decor a metallic finish or a stain? Have you gotten good results with it before?

Making a special bag and/or enhancing a deck's physical appearance always brings me closer to a new deck. It revives my interest in old ones, too.

Thank you! Viva Decor is a metal gloss paint, and I have worked with another similar brand (DecoArt Metallic Lustre), but they did not have purple :cool: I find that diluting it with touch of water and using a fine-textured makeup sponge to apply makes it go on quite smoothly with little smudging or bleed.

Have not finished the bag, but will put pics of the edging (though photos do not give the true sheen of it!) in a second post as this one may be long.

After working at it since Monday, I finally posted a reading with the Norse Tarot this morning. It's in the Deck of The Week Readings - NEW 2015.

Comments are welcome!

The Norse Tarot is one of my first tarot decks -- I think I got it in 2002. The cards in the photo attached to the reading are from my working deck, which I trimmed and cornered with a scissors to eliminate a wide white border.

I would not have known you modded that deck unless you said so, it looks beautiful! I agree with your interpretation with that reading, looks overall quite positive in regards to his goals. I like the way you read the 4 of cups as a waiting game. I feel like in combination with the 7 of wands, perhaps his first painting will not be the "it" card and he may need to persevere and show his stuff with some other works first. However, that King of Disks is a fabulously positive sign in the long term that if he sticks through he will either *be* that king (possibly branching off to form his own gallery business), or as you said, have a generous benefactor who loves his work and a great business relationship will ensue.

Madrigal

I'm surprising myself by thoroughly enjoying my week with the very girlish Crystal Visions Tarot. It's just what I needed this week and it's combining very well with the Crystal Reading Cards.

Phenix

Shadowscapes told me it would be a deck good for emotional topics when I did the interview. Interestingly enough, since then I got asked out (gasp!), which has not happened in about two years :cool:

I did a "Hi" spread (http://www.tarotforum.net/showthread.php?t=65092) as I pondered actually going out with this person. This reading was spot-on for me, and boy though this deck is pretty it does not sugar coat! Although I could not verify at this point some of what the spread mentioned about the other person (as we really only said "hi!"), it still seemed to fit a bit with the impression I had of him. The outcome, however, did not seem to fit, which confused me as the reading was flowing until that point. I had to ponder several directions of what the outcome could mean, then settled on some that made sense.

This morning for my daily draw (2nd day after that spread), I drew that same outcome card (4 of pentacles, yeah not a great relationship outcome, right?). I ran into the guy again later on today, and I decided to accept his offer to go out just to see how things go. After this second conversation with him, this card makes a ton more sense! Needless to say, I doubt this will end as a long-term, but might be nice to get my foot back in the dating pool it and will probably be fun for a bit.

I gilded my deck two days ago, and let it dry for about 4 hours before shuffling. Took pics today, and it is such a lovely fit with this deck! Viva Decor Inka-Gold in Hortensie/Hydrangea color. First pic is of my trial deck (playing cards) - the small section of about 5 cards that are lighter/sparklier in the middle were done one card at a time, the darker/larger section on the right was by holding those cards all together as one. I liked the lighter/sparklier look, so took my time with my deck on at a time. There is only a teeny bit of bleed on the fronts/backs, but this color is very close to the pretty muted lavender on the border, you can hardly notice. It shimmers a lot more than the pics seem to indicate!

diljW5Fl.jpg

6PKOtM7l.jpg

CrLrBzll.jpg

SnGJOuvl.jpg

Madame Squee

Thank you for the photos of the edges, Phenix! You've done a beautiful job! Definitely, this is something I'd like to try.

RiverRunsDeep

Ha! I bet once you stop trying to think about your dreams, they will pop back super vivid, lol. I hope you have a blast on your vacation, maybe by giving the DruidCraft a break after this brief introduction, you will be able to come back to it and make a better connection.

Thanks for the vacation wishes. :) I think you are right; I may just take a
break from tarot altogether next week, clear my mind, and let the ocean and
sand work their magic. :cool2:

Druid Craft is going back on the shelf for the moment, to be revisited at a
later time.

Thank you! Viva Decor is a metal gloss paint, and I have worked with another similar brand (DecoArt Metallic Lustre), but they did not have purple :cool: I find that diluting it with touch of water and using a fine-textured makeup sponge to apply makes it go on quite smoothly with little smudging or bleed.

Have not finished the bag, but will put pics of the edging (though photos do not give the true sheen of it!) in a second post as this one may be long.

Wow! Those edges turned out great!

I'm surprising myself by thoroughly enjoying my week with the very girlish Crystal Visions Tarot. It's just what I needed this week and it's combining very well with the Crystal Reading Cards.

Yes, Crystal Visions is quite girly, isn't it? :laugh: Mine is tucked away in a
pale pink velvet bag with a piece of rose quartz; it just seemed to require
something pink!

Madrigal

Yes, Crystal Visions is quite girly, isn't it? :laugh: Mine is tucked away in a
pale pink velvet bag with a piece of rose quartz; it just seemed to require
something pink!

Ooh, that sounds so pretty and perfect for this deck. Its youthful vibe has allowed me to easily revisit some of those younger parts of myself in need of attention. It is a very accessible deck.