Do any cards scare you?

Little Baron

valeria said:
And I am one of those people that is creeped out by the artwork in the Thoth deck, so this deck really freaks me out!

Haha .. I have the Thoth sitting right here actually, and it feels like the 'Land of the Fluffy Teddies Tarot' in comparison to the 'Voodoo'.

But it does inteague me. I am not nuts on scenic minors so it probably wouldn't be a deck for me; but you never know. For the moment, I think I can live quite happy without it's influence.

And yes, I see what you mean, S, about CD's. I also remember back in the day when people used to try and play their vinyl backwards to deceipher satanic messages - I remember playing a Prince record backwards to see what it was saying - think it was from the Purple Rain album.

LB

Citrin

serenaserendipity said:
I was just thinking about factory made cards, and whether they can have energy associated with them...

what about musical cd's? they are also factory made, but still manage to inspire heights of emotion,,
That's an interesting thought!

You know, I've never been in the majority of AT-members who believe the cards are just ink and paper... I believe that something more happens once they have been used. Energy - it's in everything. So I definitely understand your feelings. :)

Never been too interested in this Vodoo deck, but you know, it does look a little haunting.

Alta

I have never even laid eyes on this deck, though I did look at the posted images and Solandia's scans and already I have decided never to acquire it. You folks did indeed suceed in creeping me out about a deck I have never seen!

Little Baron

I hope that I do not put anyone off, if they like this deck. Then again, I think it is doing all the hard work (regarding putting people off) by itself.

There always used to be many threads on here where someone was in search of a dark deck. Those sort of threads don't seem to come up so much anymore. I don't remember this one ever being mentioned. I think that when 'some' people want suggestions for a dark deck, they are looking for something with a 'ghost train' appeal to it - something that gives them power and puts their querant on the edge of their seat. They don't [really] want a deck that, deep down, they are worried will assist their house being burnt down or destroy their marriage.

But if you want a deck that might, then maybe this is your baby. It certainly puts the willies up me! Which is a shame because there is something that is really attracting me to it as well. Even though, I cannot imagine working with it. I think that tarot would become a very dark pastime if I used the deck consistantly. And I cannot ever imagine pulling something like that out to read for someone else. And what really bothers me is 'looking into those eyes' when I was alone with it. It might sound dramatic but I really found them to be quite dead (but alive at the same time) - truely haunting imagery. In the way that yo can feel uncomfortable looking at 'The Scream' by Munch.

Thinking about the CD thing and relating it to cards, I remembered events that are not so removed from these ideas.
In England, in the Eighties, there was abig deal about certain kinds of paintings being either evil or bad luck. The pictures in question were very popular in the seventies and famously depicted children crying. The kids all had quite big eyes and tears would be falling down their cheeks.
I, personally, love these pictures and have a big book full of them. I also have a couple of framed ones in the loft. But in the 1980s, many people were scared of them. There were a succession of house fires in England, and in each house, one of these paintings was found - usually the crying boy. This caused for a newspaper to actually run a story suggesting that anyone had one burned it. There was a mass burning of these pictures, out of fear.
The eventual rule, to avoid bad luck, if you had one of these pictures, was to make sure that the boy and girl were kept together. In all cases, a painting of the boy or girl was found in the destroyed home, without it's partner.

Incase you are interested, the boy and his partnering girl are together in my loft.

So whether there is any reason to believe that these prints or the Voodoo cards are anything more than just paper and ink, people still believe in the connection enough to either box away a deck or burn a painting that they once liked enough to hang in their living room.

LB

enchanted spirit

LB, that voodoo deck is pretty scary! But then I found Revelations scary . . . well not all of it, mostly the 3 of swords freaked me out the most. Actually most of it is quite nice . . .

But anyway, if you get the voodoo cards you will have to let us know how it goes . . . inquiring minds want to know! :)

Little Baron

Enchanted Serpent said:
But anyway, if you get the voodoo cards you will have to let us know how it goes . . . inquiring minds want to know! :)

I don't think that will be any time soon.

Well, never say never.

The problem is .. I know where it dwells. There is a copy in a shop on my way home from work.
(LB makes spooky noises and ghosty movements with his fingers)

LB

Baroli

LittleBuddha said:
And yes, I see what you mean, S, about CD's. I also remember back in the day when people used to try and play their vinyl backwards to deceipher satanic messages - I remember playing a Prince record backwards to see what it was saying - think it was from the Purple Rain album.

LB

I remember doing that with Sgt. Pepper's and acouple of other Beatles recordings. I think the initial drawings of the art for the cards infuses the cards themselves with energy. Perhaps it is just transferred and retransferred over and over again. (Good Lord, this sounds like the twilightzone).

Baroli52

MeeWah

LittleBuddha said:
I can't put my finger on what it is. I have never felt like this about any other deck. And we are talking from just looking on the web, not in person. It is just a strange feeling I get about them...

...And I think that I am quite rational. But just flicking back at the scans made me feel a bit uncomfortable.

LB

LittleBuddha: Images convey ideas & energy patterns by their form & shape--that does not change whether via virtual or physical viewing. Therefore, seeing images online is akin or similar to viewing in the physical. (It also relates in part to why one can read without the physical presence of a querent, but that is a different subject.)

Personally, artwork of the woodcut or that style tends to present powerfully--as experienced with the World Spirit Tarot.

Though I had seen images of New Orleans Voodoo Tarot in passing & not really paid attention, its colours & images still spoke loudly. Since I have great respect for the spiritualities of vodun (voodoo, which strikes as sounding like the French for 'vous deux'), santeria & others that form the basis for this deck, I have passed on this deck.

I do not see yours & Ross G Caldwell's intrinsic reactions as superfluous nor without merit. Whence in doubt, the best guide for the suitability of any thing is the 'gut' reaction--the subconscious or intuitive a barometer.

SunChariot

Well, preferring optimism by far to pessimism, I don't have any of the "dark" decks around and wouldn't. I know there are people who like them, but they are not for me. I find I am happier when optimistic, and I don't need something to bring me down.

Of course when I started Tarot and did not understand much about it, I was terrified of the Death and the Tower. I did not want to see them anywhere in my readings. In fact the Death card came up in my very first reading (about a relationship I was concerned about) very accurately. It did end and I had to accept that.

It took me a while, but I got past all that, and I know now that all the cards are there to help me. I'm not afraid now if they predict something I don't want. After all, it would happen likely whether I did the reading or not.

And of course being forewarned I can do another reading to see what I can do to avert the event from happening and failing that, do a reading on how I can learn to deal with it with the least amount of pain. Either of these would lead to more happiness in my life than if I had not seen the event in advance and it just "happened".

The really funny thing is I once ordered a book about Tarot. I wish now that I could remember what it was called....? It came in the mail, and as soon as I opened it and read a few pages, I had a growing sense that there was something really quite evil about it. I kept telling myself it was just a book and I was being silly, but the feeling kept growing and would not be ignored.

I'm 49 too, and had never in my life had that kind of feeling before with anything. It ended up I could not keep the thing in the house. Within a half an hour it was in the garbage room in our building. I never throw out spiritual tools or anything, but just on the side so if someone wants it they could take it. The darn thing really felt evil to me, but maybe it would not to someone else, who knows. Not like I am trying to impose my values on someone else....If someone was meant to have it, they found it, if not then not.

It just had a sense of being so very spiritually currupt somehow. That was so weird.

Bar

Deana

Something weird happened to me while I was trying to view the scans, too. The computer kept saying that the domain name could not be found and then locking up the browser. I tried several times and then had to close Netscape and open Firefox and try again. It did work in a different browser, but that's weird that someone else was having a weird computer glitch while trying to view the same images.