Do you ever pine for your deck?

jojojo

LittleBuddha I have read this thread with interest. I am new to tarot and it has really grabbed me and I love just looking at the cards and pulling one out. However, I feel that I should be limiting the amount of time I spend with the cards as it's like i'm asking the same things all the time and I thought that the cards would 'get annoyed' and stop working - or something, does that make sense. So apart from doing a 3 card daily spread I feel that I should leave them alone even though I don't want to...Should I leave them alone...advice from the wise people on this site please!!

Lee

Cerulean said:
[...]I don't know why, but it was like buying old turn-of-the-century valentine cards or sepia postcards at a collectable store--there's a faded charm that whispers and welcomes quiet reflection.
Hi Cerulean, this is off-topic, but my parents (who are deceased) had a business buying and selling antique paper ephemera, and much of their merchandise was old greeting cards and postcards. So your post brought back memories.

-- Lee

Jewel-ry

jojojo said:
LittleBuddha I have read this thread with interest. I am new to tarot and it has really grabbed me and I love just looking at the cards and pulling one out. However, I feel that I should be limiting the amount of time I spend with the cards as it's like i'm asking the same things all the time and I thought that the cards would 'get annoyed' and stop working - or something, does that make sense. So apart from doing a 3 card daily spread I feel that I should leave them alone even though I don't want to...Should I leave them alone...advice from the wise people on this site please!!

No I don't think you should leave them alone jojojo. I reckon the more time you spend with your cards the better you will get to know them. That said, I don't think you should keep asking the same questions. You need to find other things to do with them if you want to spend more time with them. There have been lots of threads on this so you could do a search but I know that Star Spirit opened a similar thread here if you want some different ideas

http://www.tarotforum.net/showthread.php?t=46371

I have found it really useful and have done some wonderful studies pairing the cards with historical characters and even paintings over the last few days.

bleuivy

Ooooh, I pine for my decks all the time! :D

For example, today I'm spending a day in the labs doing x-rays. I rarely bring a deck to the lab because I'm always afraid it would get chemicals somehow, or it would get covered in bone dust (not a fun prospect), or just plain get lost.

But every time I don't bring a deck to the lab, I want one to be there.

It's strange, because sometimes I don't even have a specific deck in mind so much as I'd like any deck.

I have been boring and haven't travelled much since I started studying tarot in earnest (back in January 2005), but when I have, most of my pre-travelling planning has gone into which decks to take with me. So far, I've discovered that when I'm travelling, I want a completely different set of decks with me than I do when I'm home. The last time I travelled, I brought my two favorite decks at the time, the Gilded and the Fey, and grew bored with both of them within two days. I found myself desperately wanting the UW, which of course I'd left at home. As soon as I got home, the Gilded and Fey were right back at the top of my wish list, after I spent a little quality time with my UW.

Strange, huh? :laugh:

kerri28

Yes, I can so relate to this thread!lol I too take at least one deck with me most places, especially if I'm away from home longer than a day or two. I may not take them out of my bag but it's just nice to know that they are there if I need them. :)

Sophie

No, I don't pine for my deck. But only because it's never far away :D

I was evacuated once - when the bombing got too intense in Iraq, we left for Kuwait, and waited a week until the British took Basrah, then went back. In the rush, I lost my deck...

...well, you can find many things in Kuwait, but I didn't manage to find tarot cards. So I made my own :D. They lasted me for several months until I went home.

norn

I can relate to whoever said, the deck they leave behind is always the one you want with you!! That is so me!! I will spends a lot of time deciding which to bring on a simple drive to pick up the kids at school, only to get there and think, Oh I should have brought my Spiral Tarot, or what not! I always have my Universal on me, no matter what, and then some other deck so the Universal won't get lonely!!!

Norn

Emily

Sometimes I take decks out with me but I always take a couple of decks when I go away for any length of time.

I didn't realise that I relied on my Morgan Greer so much until I didn't have it. In the holiday I spent nearly 4 weeks away from home with my family, with limited internet access, but about 2 weeks in we had to come home for a couple of days.

I packed small weekend clothes bags for us and that was it. Once at home I realised I hadn't packed either my Morgan Greer or RWS, that I'm getting very attached to. And I did start to pine, I missed those decks so much I couldn't wait to get back to them. In fact it surprised me that I would miss them so much lol - I even dug my Spanish Morgan Greer out but the colouring is really different from my proper Morgan Greer so it didn't fill the ache.

I won't be leaving decks like that again.

Citrin

The days I bring a deck with me in my bag, I never use it. The days I forget a deck my fingers are itching to shuffle and read. ;) Go figure!

It does feel good just knowing a deck is with me.

Elven

Hi All :)

Absolutely - love to have a deck on hand at any time. I may not use it for a reading, I may just shuffle and look through it and put it away, but Ive been carting one particular deck around with me for years and years. Its been through sweatlodge, been run over by a bus, been lost, through every breakup, gone on holidays with me!!:D Its the second thing on top of the list of things that come with me in an emergency. Number one is my cats and number three is my harp!! :) So if you see some chick sitting on the roadside with two cats playing a harp - come and enjoy a reading!!! :p

Many Blessings
Elven x