Do you go to others?

HearthCricket

I go to one lady every year, for a general reading, and then once or twice a year to someone new for a specific question. The first I do when I feel I need a fresh outlook on my life that will be objective and might cover something I am overlooking. The latter I do more to see what everyone's reading style is like, who is good, bad, lousy, and why. I feel it makes me a better reader in the process!

SpiritOfTheDogz

I had a reading last year which was way off, but this was before i started reading myself. The last one I had was a phone reading I won on ebay which was quite accurate and he said either me or someone around me was very psychic. I only came across his ad while I was searching for my first set of tarot cards.

I've not been or been in touch with a pro since, I feel I need to leave the last one time to work out first, if it doesn't, then who knows.

Paul

Le Fanu

I was doing errands and stuff when I walked by chance into a kind of mini psychic fair and thought why not? The reader didn´t know me from Adam.

I loved it. Found it fascinating. The reading was short, to the point and spot on and I was intrigued to see how it was done; which deck (a French RWS. Not laminated. Majors only), which spread (a 7 card U-shaped spread), and what cards I would get and how he would interpret them...

He gave a general reading which was broadly true regarding a certain emotional issue. Then he took out a tiny pendulum, held it over each card, felt the swing, and then came out with some really hard-hitting, spot on truths.

I was amazed. That´s when I really got into the potential for pendulum work...

morticia monroe

Wow, Le Fanu, that sounds really interesting.

Thank you for the replies. I have been thinking lately about going to a reader, I don't know anyone else who reads cards and I'm really curious to see how others do it, what they do, what they say, and how they interpret.

I do read the threads here and compare my thoughts with those of others, but a face-to-face reading sounds like something I'd like to see and experience.

Whitney

I've never been to a pro. I don't even know if there's one around here, and I've never looked. I've read for my family and one friend. One of my closest friends doesn't even know I do tarot.

Annabelle

I've never been to a professional reader.

There was one reader with a storefront in the city we used to live in, but everything about the place looked cheap and seedy and so I never went.

Same thing in the town we live in now . . . the building looks seedy, the sign looks seedy . . . also, the person advertises "psychic counseling" which sets off my internal B.S. alarm.

Two years ago I was a at a party where there was a reader tucked away in a corner . . . people were lined up for readings and talking about how great she was. But someone who knew the reader personally told me that this person confessed to her once that she "just made things up" and "told people what they wanted to hear" and "didn't know anything about reading the cards, really." So I didn't bother getting a reading that night, for obvious reasons . . .

Every year when I go to the Texas Renaissance Festival I consider getting a reading, but change my mind at the last minute . . . maybe this year I'll take a chance . . .

Morwenna

Once many years ago I went to a pro at a psychic fair; it was interesting. Other than that, I used to have readings done by friends on occasion (BTW, does taking money for readings at a renfair qualify one as a pro? Or does one have to hang out a shingle, so to speak?) in any of several forms: Tarot, regular cards, runes, palms... But I haven't had a reading from anyone else in some years now. There are times when I just don't wanna know! Maybe it's a facet of getting older...

BTW, my friends are good readers. My rune mentor, who also taught me a Swedish card technique, read those cards for me back when I was just starting to go out with the man I eventually married, and she didn't really know it yet; but WOW, did she ever nail the emerging situation! She still teases me about that... (She became my maid of honor!)

aranarose

I have a lot of friends online who read, but they know so much about my life and the situations that I'm going through right now, that it's very difficult to get an objective reading. That's why I'll occasionally go to a pro, though not very often. I read for myself, and many, many others, am pro myself, but it's very nice to have that outside, objective, knows absolutely nothing about me person looking at the cards. I don't have to worry about him/her looking for what I want or what they know would make me happy in the cards.

It's also nice to see another person's perspective on the cards. I learn new things every time I get a reading from someone. When I go to a live reader it lets me see other decks, and sometimes other methods, in action. I'd once been considering getting a deck, but once I got a reading from someone who used it, decided not to.

Sinduction

Annabelle said:
also, the person advertises "psychic counseling" which sets off my internal B.S. alarm.
Not that I know who this person is or how they read, but please realize that due to the law these types of labeling are required. If not, we professional readers run the risk of being charged with either practicing without a license, fortune-telling for money, or fraud. All are quite serious crimes and completely ridiculous, but please be aware of this. My business cards read "Spiritual Advisor" and I am an (online) ordained minister. But this is only to cover my butt and I'm a very honest reader.

I go to readers maybe once or twice a year, just to keep up and spy on my competition. There are always psychic fairs going on around here so I go and drop a $20 for a reading. It keeps me on my toes to see how they work as well as what it's like to be on the other side of it.

aranarose

Sinduction said:
Not that I know who this person is or how they read, but please realize that due to the law these types of labeling are required. If not, we professional readers run the risk of being charged with either practicing without a license, fortune-telling for money, or fraud. All are quite serious crimes and completely ridiculous, but please be aware of this. My business cards read "Spiritual Advisor" and I am an (online) ordained minister. But this is only to cover my butt and I'm a very honest reader.

I go to readers maybe once or twice a year, just to keep up and spy on my competition. There are always psychic fairs going on around here so I go and drop a $20 for a reading. It keeps me on my toes to see how they work as well as what it's like to be on the other side of it.

So true.

Some localities require a license, which you have to undergo a background check, pay large fees, and continue paying renewal fees, to work as a reader. And they can, and often do, turn you down for arbitrary reasons. Meaning if they don't like your hair, you don't get your license. So getting ordained, and calling yourself something else, gets around these restrictions.