Does reading tarot put us on the wrong end of the lightening bolt ?

214red

I have enjoyed reading this thread, very thought provoking. I decided to add my own 2cents:)

-I think tarot is a decision making tool, but it cant make decisions for you, allowing it to do that is taking away your own personal responsibility and power. Its a great tool for perspective, but you shouldnt be letting it tell you what to do.

- Part of some peoples journey is giving up control of things that are out of your control. I think its slightly arrogant to think we control everything, but then its very weak to think that you cant control anything. its all to be about balance, some things are fixed, however many things are variable, we choose our own path and sometimes that has to always head towards one goal, but has many different routes.

-I do think many readings are not empowering people, why do you ask the cards if he loves you, surely you would feel that or he would tell you...when did people stop trusting their own feelings and let the cards take their place.

- I agree that the cards and light and dark, yin and yang...so just because its a question on the future of a relationship, the 2 of cups isnt always a good card...it darker side might be highlighted.

- i do think there is too much emphasis on reading about the future without taking onboard the present, why do we wish our lives away soo much, why do we want to take the joy of surprise out of things.

Reading about the future is a personal choice, but in part is unavoidable to not touch on the future somehow in a long reading. I also understand the need to not always read about the future as it can polute your present.

What if you read that a friendship is going to end badly, does it not mean you should be friends, the lesson you might learn might be an important one you missed because you decided to skip the present and run to the future.

Aerin

firemaiden said:
Get out from under that table right now! *fm offers Aerin a scary crow-shaped cookie*.

Gets out worriedly...

I picked the Belline to express my point, because it is an ancient deck with the meanings written straight on it (in French, and translated by me *fm takes a bow*) and it reveals the historical origins of today's generic tarot meanings. And YES it does a good job of showing us why we no longer favor fixed meanings ! It also shows us the worst case scenario of what reading tarot could mean -- as in : Oh no ! You got the nine of swords, the tower, the devil, the ten of swords, the three of swords, and the ten of wands ... WEAR A HELMET !!

If you were to pull these cards for yourself, or for a client, what would you do / say ? More importantly -- how would you turn the experience into something constructive ?

I have pulled those sorts of cards (see previously in thread) but in the context of looking for something to do about it. So for me it was positive in the sense of confirming I was right not to like what was happening, and also that it would be over soon.

(This looks like the sort of thing I get from the Deviant Moon most of the time in which case "oh, it's exaggerating again (or I am)" *sigh*)

I have a "recipe book" of meanings for the Swiss IJJ and I don't use them - fixed meanings, fixed future, both: ugh. If I'd used those then I would probably have given up altogether and played dead.