Druid Plant Oracle

inanna_tarot

Bat Chicken said:
Thanks, Inanna! :)
I am off to spend some money.... })
I'm such a cruel enabler lol.

But the set is beautiful and I'm always learning something with it. It'll be interesting to see how you connect with it :D

Bat Chicken

I'll post when it arrives - shouldn't be more than a couple of weeks. Post from the UK is better than from Vancouver....!

SolSionnach

inanna_tarot said:
I'm such a cruel enabler lol.

But the set is beautiful and I'm always learning something with it. It'll be interesting to see how you connect with it :D

And I have to take part of the blame, for reviving the thread!
I feel a little jealous, reading what you've written about being able to see the plants in their native habitat. Which makes me think that someday* I might try to scare up a 'South Texas Animal/Plant Oracle'. :) Now there would be a project, eh?

*someday being like in 2020 or so... ;)

Bat Chicken

No kidding....
I got to see some of the plants while visiting England -but many do not survive here - maybe on the west coast..... Heck they have cherry blossoms in Vancouver and we have 4 feet of snow right now.

I remember doing an exercise for the making of my own tree oracle out of twigs. Understanding the 'magical' nature of one plant and a slight understanding of botany helped me to find suitable replacements with Eastern Canadian species for the British counterparts...

SolSionnach

Very interesting idea for a tree oracle, Bat Chicken.
Climate is a biggie - I could see where somewhere north of Vancouver might be similar to the UK, but I'm thinking that you're on the east coast of the US/Canada. That would def not fit!
I remember reading Dianne Sylvan's blog - she lives in TX, too, and the wheel of the year thing hardly works here at all. I can see Candlemas being the beginning of spring - but the solstice is *not* midsummer here, Lammas is more like that, and fall doesn't really start before Halloween! We do have some hollys and mistletoe, lots of oaks, but birch? elm? not a chance. We have mesquite and crepe myrtle, huisache and mountain laurel.

This could be a really *interesting* thing to put together, the more I think about it...

Inanna_tarot, did I read somewhere (can't figure out where right now) that you are a member of the OBOD? Or did I hallucinate that (like the paperback book fiasco above...)

inanna_tarot

sravana said:
Inanna_tarot, did I read somewhere (can't figure out where right now) that you are a member of the OBOD? Or did I hallucinate that (like the paperback book fiasco above...)

LOL no i'm an obod member - aka an obodie. I'm currently in the ovate grade though it sounds far nicer than it is lol.
Lots of OBODies have worked with creating their own native oghams for those out of the UK and the traditional trees. Dryadia is a lovely lady and heres her site if you want some inspiration on it all
http://www.freewebs.com/dryadia/index.htm

And I find it so inspiring to see how non brits use the druidy oracles relate to the plants and the energies.

SolSionnach

inanna_tarot said:
LOL no i'm an obod member - aka an obodie. I'm currently in the ovate grade though it sounds far nicer than it is lol.
Lots of OBODies have worked with creating their own native oghams for those out of the UK and the traditional trees. Dryadia is a lovely lady and heres her site if you want some inspiration on it all
http://www.freewebs.com/dryadia/index.htm

And I find it so inspiring to see how non brits use the druidy oracles relate to the plants and the energies.

Thanks so much for that link...
I'll probably be PMing you about OBOD - I've considered joining off and on, and would like to know more about it.. :) More later...

fina

inanna_tarot said:

I'm lucky in Saskatchewan (central Canada) that most of the Druid Animal Oracle cards represent animals that I grew up near out on my farm, with the exception of the seal. I'm not sure how well the Druid Plant Oracle with fit with my native habitat, but I have used many herbs that I buy on ebay that are not native to Saskatchewan. I'm definitely looking forward to purchasing and using this deck.

BodhiSeed

I just recently bought this deck from Cygnus Books in the UK. They actually emailed me to make sure I understood the exchange rate (I'm in the USA) before they charged me. It arrived very quickly! Once again William Worthington has produce a masterpiece. The cards are all beautiful (I haven't had the chance to read the book); my favorite is Madder.
I was surprised to find that I am familiar with almost all of the plants included, and have grown many of them in my herb garden at some point.

Aerin

bodhran said:
I just recently bought this deck from Cygnus Books in the UK. They actually emailed me to make sure I understood the exchange rate (I'm in the USA) before they charged me. It arrived very quickly! Once again William Worthington has produce a masterpiece. The cards are all beautiful (I haven't had the chance to read the book); my favorite is Madder.
I was surprised to find that I am familiar with almost all of the plants included, and have grown many of them in my herb garden at some point.

Cygnus are lovely people. Really lovely.

I'm glad you like the deck, Will W.'s work is wonderful - I've been in love with it since the Druid Animal Oracle.

Aerin