Egyptian Tarot: accuracy?As valid as common decks?

alexev

Egyptian Tarot: accuracy?As valid as common decks?

I´d like to know if egyptian tarot decks like the Egipcios Kier, are as 'accurate' as the ' traditional' ones. Any of you works with this kind of deck? thanks

Umbrae

It is as accurate as any other deck.

The secret is - it's not the deck - it's the reader.

The crowned one

I more worry about whether I understand a deck or not. I agree with Umbrae, it is your ability to interpret the deck, not the deck. I stick to Rider-Waite and historical decks as they are the only ones I have any affinity with.

Cerulean

Big grin...not always the reader, sometimes the reading...

...and the questioner, who doesn't mind the images as long as the exchange answers their questions.

To be honest, I just did not like the Egicipios Kier as a reading deck. I have it for reference, but the cards are not even a favorite reference for me.

Some people really do not resonate with old art in any form; but I do resonate with some styles of old art--although it's a hit or miss with Egyptian style decks. For my own odd tastes, the Egicipios Kier just doesn't work.

I have one beautiful Laura Tuan Egyptian tarot in Italian that I just pull out a few times a year to learn a bit more about the gorgeous art and revisit or refresh what I learn about Egyptian colors and symbols. I don't really know if this deck is any more authentic than any other art reference--but I find it more compatible with museum visits to Egyptian art! That's just me.

Any readings that deal with someone else than myself...I did one or two with the S. Alasia one with the book from Lo Scarabeo. I like the deck enough that the discussions on it as a deck for reading and experiments feels nice to me--but I've read of others who just don't gel with it or find it not a good choice for them.

So that's just one person's opinion some Egyptian art decks. Nothing profoundly different, just hope the opinion makes some sense...

Best wishes,

Cerulean

magpie9

What Umbrae Said. :thumbsup:

zer

Cabbalistic atributions

(Unearthing an old thread, and back to the forum after some years)

I've had doubts about this deck since i bought it. It was my first deck and i bought it along with the book of his author, because this was adviced from a person with much knowledge on this area.
Discussing it's accuracy seems a valid point, looking at how the cabbalistic associations differ from those of the Thoth Tarot. Also, astrological associations differ... and this leaves me with an awckward feeling... there must be something wrong...
Look at the Thoth associations:
http://www.the-book-of-thoth.com/content-187.html
And compare them to your Egipcios Kier deck. Almost every single association differs.
Anyone can clarify this?

Umbrae

zer said:
... and this leaves me with an awckward feeling... there must be something wrong...
Look at the Thoth associations:
http://www.the-book-of-thoth.com/content-187.html
And compare them to your Egipcios Kier deck. Almost every single association differs.
Anyone can clarify this?

In Tarot, there are different 'schools' of thought that divide the subject. English/American place strength at 8, justice at 11, and numeralize the Fool with the 0 glyph (turning the numerals from ordinal to cardinal) and placing Aleph on the Fool.

The Continental school places justice at 8, strength at 11, and leaves the glyph of 0 off the Fool (which is then usually either Shin or Tau) and placing Aleph on the Magician.

Further, Crowley switched Daleth and Tzaddi while moving 8 & 11 back to where they historically were.

The Spanish schools tend towards the Fool as Shin.

I don’t use astrological attributions so I’ll say nothing about them.

Some readers will tell you that the Qabalistic attributions are based as Hermetic (America/English Schools), or Jewish (Continental and Spanish Schools). Both are correct, but using one may take getting used to if you prefer the other. There is a third type that will tell you that your or my method is wrong and that you must absolutely follow their method which is historically correct. Usually this person has an ego problem.

Cerulean

Is this only about the Egicipios Kier? Or Egyptian Tarot styles?

I realized after I wrote the information below, that someone began discussing the Egicipios Kier...I agree it is hard to analyze a decorative Egyptian deck because it takes awhile to really figure out sometimes among the different publishers what might be the 'house style' of their system and what might be the author and artist's creation or system of thought.

The example below is how creative and different Egyptian tarots can be. One examples is the Sylvia Alasia designs for the Egyptian Tarot from Lo Scarabeo.

1. Egyptian Tarot-- Sylvia Alasia

The majors are said to follow the Falconnier-Wegnar (may have check spelling)designs and I believe the "Church of Light" reproduction majors follow the same design in the majors:

http://www.amazon.com/Church-Light-Authentic-Egyptian-Tarot/dp/088079092X

Recently I was looking at my CC. Zain book of tarot - with his astrological/mystery school ideas of the occult thought--and realized the "son of earth" kind of picturesque language was the origin of how Lo Scarabeo summarized the majors in their book. Of course CC Zain and the Church of Light are very much related--so I was glad to know there's actually a group out there that still has a tarot with a similar system!

I like the majors in this deck and the last card in the sequence of the majors much better than the Church of Light deck, so I'm happy enough to read with it. I've never met anyone from the Church of Light, but I've heard the system is geared toward meditative study--I do not know if they use the tarot for divination or reading for others.

The very pretty minors of the Sylvia Alasia deck is more "Continental" with Egyptian decorative--that is, I thought they were similar to Lo Scarabeo's Italian Cartomancy meanings I might see in some of their earlier tarots.

I believe there are talented readers do read with mixed systems well, some don't need to know where such things come from. I do not know that my description adds clarification...hope it helped. I appreciated and still appreciate this tarot. I've got more than a few copies.

If I read with this Egyptian tarot, I read as a creative reader. I do not mix too much in. I tried to see if I could mix 'decanate astrology' or Golden Dawn meanings, and found my limitations as a reader. There are other decks that were designed for decanate astrology (Celestial) that likely work better as an integrated system.

I hope some of this helps--using a specific Egyptian deck as an explanation--and it's only my limited view.

Cerulean