Emperor as Advice

GoddessArtemis

In response to my Emperor stance, I'm getting lots of fighting back...you'd think there was an uprising from the general masses. Geeze. The Emperor does not have it easy; I think I prefer to be the Empress, but she doesn't always work.

What's the Hierophant do for advice?

GA

Thirteen

GoddessArtemis said:
IWhat's the Hierophant do for advice?
Ah. Here's where you stand fast, go traditional and conservative and quote the rule book. Follow those rules to the letter and expect the other party to do so as well. No cheating allowed.

Nevada

Sometimes the Emperor's authority takes a while for both you and others to adjust to. The long range outcome may be better than it appears at first. I suspect the others are right that this was a time to trust yourself and be the Emperor.

Nevada

GoddessArtemis

Thirteen said:
Ah. Here's where you stand fast, go traditional and conservative and quote the rule book. Follow those rules to the letter and expect the other party to do so as well. No cheating allowed.
I figured someone (or you, Thirteen :)) might say something like that. I'm doing exactly this, and I'm getting such a ferocious response that it's really quite unbelievable. I'm being as fair as can be, to keep everything balanced, and yet...the backlash is harsh. Why is tarot giving me such tough advice?

GA

GreenMoonBeam

GoddessArtemis said:
I figured someone (or you, Thirteen :)) might say something like that. I'm doing exactly this, and I'm getting such a ferocious response that it's really quite unbelievable. I'm being as fair as can be, to keep everything balanced, and yet...the backlash is harsh. Why is tarot giving me such tough advice?

GA

NO, Tarot is not giving you tough advice. You are getting advice to act in a manner that you are YET used to:think of it as more positive not 'hard'. See yourself as the new leader inheriting the throne of the Emperor. Even the
Empress may need to have the attributes of the Emperor....you take what makes you strong

re-pete-a

What you have created is change, there's always resistance to change. Thats where the power of the Emperor comes into it's own. The intestinal fortitude is what makes an Emperor. Stand firm, time will be your ally.Control,not force.Control of self, force is making others do unwillingly

Thirteen

Don't be "Fair"!

GoddessArtemis said:
I'm being as fair as can be, to keep everything balanced
And there's your problem. The cards didn't give you Justice or Temperance. They gave you the Emperor and/or Hierophant. Neither one is "fair." Fairness is not the issue. Saying, "This is what I want, and according to the rules it's what I should have, and that's the way it's going to be, NO ARGUMENT!" is what this is about. So shut them up, and shut them down. Take control and take command.

Putting it another way, the cards have said, "You're right. They're wrong." That's all there is to it.

Now is that going to be easy for you to deal with? Probably not. As you, personally, may like to be as fair as fair can be, and you personally, may hate conflict. But the cards are telling you that if you let this person have their way, if you don't put your foot down and stand up for yourself--and insist that the rules be followed, you will regret it in the long run.

So man up! And tell them to stop screaming at you. Stop taking their calls, answering their e-mails, and turn your back on them if they raise their voice to you in person. "You don't yell at me. Not ever," you say to them. You're the EMPEROR. No one, and I mean no one, yells at you. Make sure they understand that. They want something, they can *petition* (that is, ask very politely for it) and *maybe* you'll consider it. You are the Emperor. There is no arguing with your decision, no matter how "unfair" or "wrong" they may think it is.

In the end, you can't be half-way about this, "kinda" playing Emperor, but backing down to Miss "nice-n-fair" when someone pushes back. You either go all the uncompromising way and let them know that yelling is unacceptable and will not be listened to, and that your decision is final...or if you really can't do it, then ignore the cards and do what you want and take the consequences.

The Emperor isn't the only way to handle the situation--it is just, according to the cards, the best way. If you can't do it, if it's just too far outside your nature, then don't do it. But the worst thing you can do is try to have your cake and eat it too--be the Emperor in one way, but not in some other way.

GoddessArtemis

Thirteen said:
And there's your problem. The cards didn't give you Justice or Temperance. They gave you the Emperor and/or Hierophant. Neither one is "fair." Fairness is not the issue. Saying, "This is what I want, and according to the rules it's what I should have, and that's the way it's going to be, NO ARGUMENT!" is what this is about. So shut them up, and shut them down. Take control and take command.

Putting it another way, the cards have said, "You're right. They're wrong." That's all there is to it.

Now is that going to be easy for you to deal with? Probably not. As you, personally, may like to be as fair as fair can be, and you personally, may hate conflict. But the cards are telling you that if you let this person have their way, if you don't put your foot down and stand up for yourself--and insist that the rules be followed, you will regret it in the long run.

So man up! And tell them to stop screaming at you. Stop taking their calls, answering their e-mails, and turn your back on them if they raise their voice to you in person. "You don't yell at me. Not ever," you say to them. You're the EMPEROR. No one, and I mean no one, yells at you. Make sure they understand that. They want something, they can *petition* (that is, ask very politely for it) and *maybe* you'll consider it. You are the Emperor. There is no arguing with your decision, no matter how "unfair" or "wrong" they may think it is.

In the end, you can't be half-way about this, "kinda" playing Emperor, but backing down to Miss "nice-n-fair" when someone pushes back. You either go all the uncompromising way and let them know that yelling is unacceptable and will not be listened to, and that your decision is final...or if you really can't do it, then ignore the cards and do what you want and take the consequences.

The Emperor isn't the only way to handle the situation--it is just, according to the cards, the best way. If you can't do it, if it's just too far outside your nature, then don't do it. But the worst thing you can do is try to have your cake and eat it too--be the Emperor in one way, but not in some other way.
All excellent points of view. I did all of this exactly, but not in a boorish manner, very polite but extremely firm. I was not budging on my point, though I heard the other's point of view. I said, "These are the rules; this is what we agreed to. You're breaking the rules. If you do, these are the consequences and I'm standing firm on this". I really did do this, exactly as Thirteen describes. Outcome? Lots of pushing back from the other party, but finally agreeing to follow the rules.

However, now I've got a VERY discontent and angry person on my hands cuz they don't like following the rules. Now what?

GA

Thirteen

GoddessArtemis said:
However, now I've got a VERY discontent and angry person on my hands cuz they don't like following the rules. Now what?
You can ask the cards "Now what?" if you want to know how to handle this person, or work with them or deal with them in the future. But people get angry when they want things their way and they don't get it. And sometimes you just have to let them be angry--at you, at the situation, at themselves. This is an issue of you getting respect, getting what's right and being seen as someone who can't be pushed around.

In other words, this person is not going to be content, and they're going to be angry. Maybe the Emperor here has more than one meaning--remember that the Emperor can stand for the tyrant, the spoilt little kid who throws a temper-tantrum when he/she doesn't get their way. Maybe it's about time someone stood up to this person, told them they couldn't have their way, and showed them that their angry, discontented temper tantrums weren't going to work.

What I'm saying is...are you in danger from them because they're discontent and angry? Do they have the power to make your life miserable? If so, then yes, it's something to worry about. If not, then why be concerned? Their anger and discontent is their problem, not yours.

GoddessArtemis

Thirteen said:
You can ask the cards "Now what?" if you want to know how to handle this person, or work with them or deal with them in the future. But people get angry when they want things their way and they don't get it. And sometimes you just have to let them be angry--at you, at the situation, at themselves. This is an issue of you getting respect, getting what's right and being seen as someone who can't be pushed around.
Totally agreed. I won't be pushed around and I even said those very words, "I will not be pushed, disrespected, or disregarded. EVER". Well, that was not so bad.
In other words, this person is not going to be content, and they're going to be angry. Maybe the Emperor here has more than one meaning--remember that the Emperor can stand for the tyrant, the spoilt little kid who throws a temper-tantrum when he/she doesn't get their way. Maybe it's about time someone stood up to this person, told them they couldn't have their way, and showed them that their angry, discontented temper tantrums weren't going to work.
Yes, and that's what I wasn't going to stand for; spoiled tantrumy behavior has no room in my life. This person is also surprised at my no-nonsense attitude.
What I'm saying is...are you in danger from them because they're discontent and angry? Do they have the power to make your life miserable?
Well, this is debatable. This is someone I'm dating and if they want to, they can be a jerk (kinda being, in their anger) to "punish" me for upholding rules, and can ruin our plans, etc. So in that sense, I COULD be miserable. However, my self respect is worth more than all that, so I guess I did the right thing.
If so, then yes, it's something to worry about.
Well...I feel bad when I've made someone that angry. I know it shouldn't matter, because they're hurting me, but I still feel bad. Working on it...

I did ask "Now what" and got 7 Swords. As advice, I got the Moon. Wow. Sneaky-city! I guess wait and see what gives, or....keep my thoughts to myself? Iffy situation...

GA