Estensi Tarot-Lo Scarabeo's 'golden deck'

Aure

You, who have the deck: is it usable or mainly a collector's item?

I've been drooling over this deck but I'm still a bit iffy. In any case I have to wait before I can order this one... My hb has banned me from ordering any books or decks for a while...

felicityk

Wow, that was fast! I got my deck from Tarot Garden already! :D

I've only given it a quick look, but I think it's very well done. The only thing that I found odd is the 10 of Coins; it's the only card that doesn't have any gold foil at all. All the other cards worked it in, even if it was just a tiny section of the picture.

Felicity

Galiana

My deck was waiting for me when I got home from work this afternoon. It immediately reminded me of my Golden Tarot of the Tsar deck because the two decks are almost exactly alike in regard to the presentation. They are both LS decks, so I guess that's understandable.

BlueLotus

felicityk said:
Wow, that was fast! I got my deck from Tarot Garden already! :D

I've only given it a quick look, but I think it's very well done. The only thing that I found odd is the 10 of Coins; it's the only card that doesn't have any gold foil at all. All the other cards worked it in, even if it was just a tiny section of the picture.

Felicity

Felicity, I share your confusion regarding the 10 of pentacles, as I looked thoroughly at the cards today.
But I also noticed that many other decks do occasionally have this one odd card that doesn't seem to belong to the deck, so I let it pass.

Otherwise this is a lovely deck although I prefer the Midieval Scapini since its cards are loaded with beautiful and lively artwork and symbols.

Virago

It's an absolutely breathtakingly beautiful deck The only card that I find questionnable is the two of wands!!!! EWWWWW.

The naked gentleman has blood on his penis and if you check closely, placed right in front of him are his testicles... Am I allowed to say that on here??? EWWW again. And when one looks at the LWB for reference, the description calls it an annoyance. WHAT? I'd say having your testicles cut off and placed in front of your body is more than annoying. IT"S DEFINITELY TEN OF SWORDS imagery as far as I'm concerned..

So can someone explain this particular imagery for the two of wands?

V.

felicityk

Edited: I originally posted about the same card Virago just mentioned. I find it rather upsetting as well. Also the Nine of Swords shows a figure on a pedestal with no head, and flames (or blood?) spouting from the neck. I don't know that I find this image more disturbing than the typical RWS Ten of Swords, but still it shook me up a bit.

Overall my impression of this deck is still positive.

felicityk

One more observation

Of the Majors that are not based on existing cards from the Charles VI deck, there is one, the Magician, that is patterned after a card from the Ercole d'Este deck of the same time period. Interestingly, there is also an existing Star from the d'Este, but the Star in the Estensi Tarot is not based on it, probably since it is too similar to the Charles VI Moon card (also featuring two astronomers). The existing Charles VI and d'Este cards are printed in color in The Art of Tarot by Christina Olsen and in black and white in The Encyclopedia of Tarot, Vol. 1 pp 112-117.

Berti mentions the d'Este deck in the LWB as a source, and also the Leber Tarot (in the Municipal Library in Rouen), which I have never heard of. Does anyone know where one can see images of it, or which Majors in the Estensi Tarot might be based on it?

ETA: One more note, the Chariot in the Estensi deck appears to be printed in reverse, based on the Charles VI photos in the two sources I cited above.

Felicity

Cerulean

Leber Star on Andy's Playing Cards

Scroll down to the next to the last set of card images. To the left of the text, the maiden with the arrow. To the right is the Sun in the Charles VI.

http://it.geocities.com/a_pollett/cards62.htm

Enjoy--I like the image.

Regards,

Cerulean Mari

tao51

Oh, Yeah!!!!

Just ordered it from the Tarot Garden! Oh YEAH! Doing the I-am-going-to-get-it dance!--Tao

Asher

Just got it

My copy came today and I have been going through the cards, oohing and aahing. The foil is beautiful, and I like most of the cards.

Then I came to the 2 of Wands...this card belongs more in the Bosch Tarot I think. It's just so _out of place_ here. And the LWB says "Ailment -- Tiredness, Annoyance" . My meanings for this card will be much stronger, believe me (and am secretly hoping no one ever pulls this card in a reading...smile).

It seems as though (in many other decks, too, not only this one) that the artist hasn't consulted with the designer/LWB writer or vice versa. Think of what a bit of collaboration could do.

This deck would be well served with a book detailing the inspiration for the reconstructed cards, and listing the sources, much like Kat Black's Golden deck.

It's still a beautiful deck.

Asher