Estensi Tarot-Lo Scarabeo's 'golden deck'

Cerulean

This sentence was in my review...

The two of wands is the unclothed, dying Atys, punished for his unfaithfulness, from the fresco in the upper band of July. Most of these allegories are romantic stories, a strong theme in the poetry and art that I like from Ferrara.
Here's one version of a story of 'doomed ATYS:

Croesus and his Son Atys

Croesus had a fine son named ATYS [a'tis], "the doomed one," in whom he placed all his hopes. A dream came to Croesus as he slept and foretold that Atys would die, struck by the point of an iron weapon. Croesus forbade his son to engage in any further military activity, removed all weapons from the men's quarters, and arranged that his son should get a wife. In the midst of preparations for the marriage, an unfortunate suppliant, polluted by blood, arrived and begged Croesus for purification. His name was ADRASTUS [a-dras'tus], or ADRASTOS ("the one who cannot escape fate"), a Phrygian from a royal family; he had killed his brother unintentionally and had been driven out by his father. Croesus benevolently purified Adrastus and accepted him in his palace.
The Mysian Boar Hunt

It happened that the neighboring Mysians were unable to overcome a monstrous boar that was destroying their lands. They appealed to Croesus that he send his son with an expedition to come to their aid. Croesus, remembering the dream, refused. But his valiant son, anxious to help the Mysians, convinced his father to allow him to go. Atys argued that the fight was not against men but a boar; since a boar did not have hands or an iron weapon, how could he possibly die by the point of an iron weapon, if he went on the hunt?

Croesus was won over but, nevertheless, was still concerned about his son's safety. So he asked Adrastus that, in return for the great kindness that he had done him, he go along with Atys to act as his gaurdian. Adrastus, although reluctant, could not refuse Croesus' request.

In the midst of the hunt, as the attackers hurled their weapons against the wild beast, Adrastus missed his aim and hit instead Atys, and killed him. And the prophecy of the dream was fulfilled.
------------------------------------------------------------------
My guess is the story might be a double meaning---Atys didn't believe the story of his fate and defied the gods and his father by being in the presence of an iron weapon. He was tragically killed---because he was trying to circumvent his annoyance at the ban. The grevious fate that met him might be a parable about trying to face what irritates or annoys the seeker.

And I agree, it is difficult if one doesn't have the Schifanioa Palace Book--there is one available for 30.00 at the United Kingdom...

http://dogbert.abebooks.com/servlet/SearchResults?y=11&kn=The+Schifanoia+Months+at+Ferrara&x=16

tao51

Thanks for the information and your researc

This helps provide insight into the art. Thanks, Mari--Tao

tao51

Thanks, Mari

I hope to be holding my Estensi deck today! Mari you sure can mine the 'net for information.--Tao

tao51

This is an exquisite deck

The art work is beyond words. The gold accents is so rich. The pictures seem to stand out in a two dimensional manner.--Tao

ivan

Re: This sentence was in my review...

Cerulean said:
...dying Atys...

Hello.

Well, there is another story about that Atys, or Attis (the same name, just another spelling). He was a priest of Cybele, or even a vegetation deity in Phrygia. There is a brief information here:

http://www.pantheon.org/articles/a/attis.html

Catullus wrote a poem about Attis. In that poem the story goes a different way: Attis unmanned himself in religious ecstasy, but repented afterwards, as far as I remember it.

Anyway, the deck is great! And what a strange coincidence: just yesterday I did a 7-cards spread with the Estensi deck and got 9 of Chalices and 3 of Swords in the principal positions. And now, reading this thread, I see the originals of these cards both on the same fresco called triumph of Apollo!

http://gallery.euroweb.hu/html/c/cossa/schifano/2april/index.html

I’ve got used to "coincidences" with Tarot, though :)

Cerulean

Really enjoying these posts!

I waited a few years for this deck...while it wasn't designed for me, I pretend that the publishers had me in mind when they teased me about the beauty of the cards...

It's very nice that others liked the deck...and I was very interested that one of the most unique collectors (Felicity K is known to have 22 decks only at a time) decided it would grace her collection....I wonder if it will stay! It's not been scanned in her current 22...

http://home.comcast.net/~felicityk/tarot/modern/index.html

Best wishes...and delighted to take part in the conversation with you here!

Cerulean Mari

felicityk

Re: Really enjoying these posts!

Cerulean said:
It's very nice that others liked the deck...and I was very interested that one of the most unique collectors (Felicity K is known to have 22 decks only at a time) decided it would grace her collection....I wonder if it will stay! It's not been scanned in her current 22...

http://home.comcast.net/~felicityk/tarot/modern/index.html
I'm afraid I went beyond 22 a while ago! Now I have around 30, and although there are a few I'm thinking of parting with, I don't think I can trim my collection down that far again. A list of what I currently have is on page 3 of this thread. I don't have regular access to a scanner, so it's been a while since I've updated my page. :)

Felicity

tao51

Re: Re: Really enjoying these posts!

felicityk said:
I'm afraid I went beyond 22 a while ago! Now I have around 30, and although there are a few I'm thinking of parting with, I don't think I can trim my collection down that far again.
Felicity

I do not think I could pare down my collection. I once thought 12 would be enough. Then I bumped it to 20. I do not count any more. I do know that I have several shelves devoted to my cards. There are too many new decks to think that I could ever have a low amount again.--Tao

Macavity

Comparing decks...

Interesting thread (just received Estensi) - Esp. thanks to Mari for Fresco links... Takes a while to find all your "list" from the online pictures, so it saved me quite some effort! ;)

As a bit of trivia, I find that the Extensi LWB divinatory meanings are quite similar to the LoS "Da Vinci" Tarot. The card images correspond rather well, in both cases to the principal keywords too. In fact, I claim both these decks can be used quite quickly and in parallel for "image-based" readings. Hmmmm... But do I really want to learn another (non-GD) set of keywords too? :D

I guess LoS have is a set of divinatory meanings, to which they then select suitable and corresponding (meaning) images from the various(!) artworks. I admit to getting slightly frustrated there is no actual (monthly) correspondence between the medieval Decan and the card, but understand the (e.g. limited number of Fresco) limitations?

For those with patience, it's interesting to spot the (occasional) correspondence of the Schifanoia images with the new(ish) LiberT. And, since someone mentioned the Bosch Tarot, I claim a lot of commonality between e.g. the Pentacles suite of that one, with the LoS "Sola Busca" deck - Curiouser and curiouser...

Macavity

I too will have to keep my legs crossed, when I see that 2 of Wands. })