Experiments with "Eye Rhythms" in the Dodal

Herzog

Very nice, nortytiger :)

Love the "bound up" analogy. It's like a tangled mess that somehow undoes itself

nortytiger

Thanks Herzog. you summed up in one line what took me 20 :D

Le Fanu

for a newbie nortytiger, that was quite impressive. However (and this is not directed at your interpretation, more at mine) the whole vine theme, by its very nature, would inevitably lead to analogies of strangulation, penetration, dividing, growth, enclosing... Might we find that we find these analogies all over again with other coins and cup cards? Let's see...

thinbuddha

Herzog said:
Here's where a Question really comes in handy. The question anchors or gives "context" to the spread.

YES!

I normally don't even do readings without a subject matter. This is a very different spread if you insert different questions.

"What are my prospects for a promotion?" leads to a very different interpretation than "How is my girlfriend really feeling about our relationship?".

Herzog

Important as they might be, the vines/flowers perhaps can treated as a sub-subdivision of a reading; the stuff way beneath the surface, so to speak.

moderndayruth

While looking at the new draw, i thought of various art movements;
for example 7 Coins can be viewed as primitive art; something drawn in a cave; the four cups remind me for some reason of Baroque and the 3 of Swords of minimalism; so to me this draw would be about evolution, progression and reduction, where all the unnecessary drops out and only the idea (Swords) remain.

Le Fanu

moderndayruth said:
While looking at the new draw, i thought of various art movements;
for example 7 Coins can be viewed as primitive art; something drawn in a cave; the four cups remind me for some reason of Baroque and the 3 of Swords of minimalism; so to me this draw would be about evolution, progression and reduction, where all the unnecessary drops out and only the idea (Swords) remain.
What a wonderful thought! I like that! The urge towards balance and harmony after the asymmetrical, off-set coins and then the Swords streamlined. I think that's incredibly beautiful and it really resonates with me! Thank you!

moderndayruth

Le Fanu said:
What a wonderful thought! I like that! The urge towards balance and harmony after the asymmetrical, off-set coins and then the Swords streamlined. I think that's incredibly beautiful and it really resonates with me! Thank you!
Ohh, thank you Le Fanu!

Le Fanu

thinbuddha said:
YES!

I normally don't even do readings without a subject matter. This is a very different spread if you insert different questions.

"What are my prospects for a promotion?" leads to a very different interpretation than "How is my girlfriend really feeling about our relationship?".
I can see this, but I have to remind myself to pull back and remember this is not a reading. I want to look at the formal aspects of these images (I mean, formal as in "related to the form", not formal as in "polite"!) I need this. I need to train myself to just look at how the images relate to each other as if they were a triptych altarpiece.

yes, that's what I mean (and MDR's comparison has reminded me of the painterly aspects I had when I started.)

We can see these three card spreads as triptychs; those triptychs which had a central image and images of the patrons/donors, praying in the side wings and continuing the narrative outside of the central image. And very often in triptychs you have a sequence of a narrative happening simultaneously (like Herzog said about the vines in different stages).

yes.. I like that. I was always fascinated by diptychs and triptychs and how they weave in and out of each other and had characters in the wings that could not possibly have known the central saint and yet they freely, rhythmically converse.

nortytiger

Le Fanu said:
for a newbie nortytiger, that was quite impressive. However (and this is not directed at your interpretation, more at mine) the whole vine theme, by its very nature, would inevitably lead to analogies of strangulation, penetration, dividing, growth, enclosing... Might we find that we find these analogies all over again with other coins and cup cards? Let's see...

thanks Le Fanu :)

Yes, it will be very interesting to see if certain themes and patterns develop as this goes on.

Just before I go to bed I have had another quick look at the images but I'm too tired to make much more of it tonight.

as the cards begin with the 7 pents and the "odd one out" (as it looks to me) and the last card shows a balance, the 4 cups looks like divided emotions as they seem split into 2 groups of 2. 2 at the top, 2 at the bottom, there isn't the balance and symmetry within this card despite there being 4 cups, so I would see opposing views (the bottom 2 look a bit repressed by the vines pushing down on them-sorry to mention the vines again :)) and that they are "all tied up" with emotion and needing to weigh up the pro's and cons to get the balance back - leading to 3 swords

edit-good morning :)
I must have been dreaming about this last night as this morning I am thinking about a childhood memory from of my seeing my grandfather, who was a farmer, holding a set of weighing scales that really resembles the central part of the 4 of cups, the scales had a long "post" which could be held or hung up as it had a hook at the top and the scales part dangled from the bottom. I think I must have subconsciously seen this as last night I said about "weighing up".