grounding, focusing, centering

tigerlily

Well nisaba you've been doing this for how long? No wonder it only takes four seconds for you LOL!

I depends on my mood - when I'm stressed out I need to move, as sitting still and trying to meditate it off will only make it worse. Doing the dishes works amazingly well for me (and there never is a lack of dirty dishes in this household :rolleyes: ...).

nisaba

<grin> Yeah.

But I was doing this a long time ago, too. The breath in "pulls in the good stuff". The breath out "pushes out the bad stuff". As I breathe and hold the deck I often ask "Let me read well for this person", but not always, usually if there is something about them that bothers me. Whether there is or not, that moment works, and it's become a part of my routine, like brushing my teeth sorta automatically happens in the morning. I don't think about brushing my teeth - it just happens. Same here.

Dancing Bear

For me to be grounded, is to be focused and protected all at the same time.. as a person who works with spirit regularly and regulary reads.. I need to be grounded not just when reading.. So I am always in the garden, feet and hands in the earth.. keep everything simple, practical and real..
Which eliminates the clutter upstairs for me..
meditation whenever and wherever i can, which doesnt, mean sitting in the lotus position for hours on end humming OM!! I can meditate just by sitting still in my garden.. and relaxing with a good light hearted movie.. Meditation comes in many forms for me.... just before a reading I make sure i have my favourite incense burning and both feet on the ground..
sometimes i use nice soft music if that extra is needed..

kisou

For myself, I shuffle- but sort of to the rhythm of my breathing and as if the deck is breathing as well. Just the sound of the cards bridging back and forth in my hands really makes a huge difference for me. Its as if I sit up straighter and breathe deeper and steadier and the whole thing :D

I also make sure I'm drinking water during the reading as it helps me stay focused.

For a while I tried different techniques to feel more grounded: visualization, deep breathing, etc.- but this really works for me. Just investing breath into the deck (as if it were its own entity) really mellows me out and I feel less likely to lose myself in the energy of the reading, preferring to stay an impartial party to it.

TractJM

kisou said:
For myself, I shuffle- but sort of to the rhythm of my breathing and as if the deck is breathing as well. Just the sound of the cards bridging back and forth in my hands really makes a huge difference for me. Its as if I sit up straighter and breathe deeper and steadier and the whole thing :D

I also make sure I'm drinking water during the reading as it helps me stay focused.

For a while I tried different techniques to feel more grounded: visualization, deep breathing, etc.- but this really works for me. Just investing breath into the deck (as if it were its own entity) really mellows me out and I feel less likely to lose myself in the energy of the reading, preferring to stay an impartial party to it.

That's beautiful! I live my life by rhythm, and this is a great idea.

I can't meditate in the eyes closed, still position - the only way I can silence my mind is by walking, which doesn't quite work very well for tarot, so I just like to connect to the Earth and the Universe and focus my visualization on a white bubble around my question and the querent.

Le Fanu

First of all, a nice cup of coffee and light a candle.

I have a big glass ball. Looks crystal but it isn't... I hold it in my hands and just stare into it. Not scrying, just blanking the mind, projecting thoughts out of myself if that makes any sense.

Then lots of hypnotic shuffling while retaining the focus on the issue at hand.

Aerin

I just shuffle, focus on the question, choose a spread and pull some cards.

By the way, regarding the search function, it is well worth practising since on a topic like this there may well things in different forums. I know there are some 'preparing to read' threads around too. In 'Advanced Search' you can look for words only in thread titles or in posts, and display by thread or by post.

hippiewitchie

Grizabella said:
I get really grounded, centered and focused if I listen to Native American flute music, especially with nature sounds. :) I don't do it always for reading, though.

I love this for relaxing! Used R Carlos Nokai CD's for my yoga classes all the time.

I almost always am more comfortable reading cards sitting on the floor- it's very grounding for me. I use deep "belly breaths" for centering and focusing. Gets me into the groove pretty quickly- though not as quick as Nisba!

Amary

I close my eyes and visualize tree roots pushing up from the ground and wrapping around me. Sounds creepy, but it helps me feel steady and solid. Sometimes, if I am reading for someone who is close to me, I visualize MY opinions, ideas and emotions going into a box that then locks shut. If I don't, the reading comes out skewed.

Calliope

Amary said:
Sometimes, if I am reading for someone who is close to me, I visualize MY opinions, ideas and emotions going into a box that then locks shut. If I don't, the reading comes out skewed.

I have never thought of that! That is such a good idea!

I've often thought that what I am thinking/feeling has come up in a reading for someone else and have wondered what I can do to temper that. Now I know. :D