Help choose another marseilles deck

firecatpickles

"Real" as in "a real live hologram". Well, "almost a real hologram." (Google me)

Yves Le Marseillais

Opinions and searches

Bertrand said:
Hello,

the Burdel... great but there's no way you can get a copy, and as you point out neither for the Madenié by the way.
Yves, What is your opinion on the Jean Proché published by Il Meneghello ?

Bertrand

Hi Bertrand,

Yes we can't get any copy of both Madenié and Burdel.
But I have numeric pictures of them and my pleasure consist in Photoshopping them and print them on Fine Art paper Photo rag with my A3 Photo printer.
I glued their own back picture on them and now I have my own "Fac similé" Private Collection.

Concerning Jean proché deck published by Il Meneghello, I have this copie and I do like it of course.
There is some threads about it and on my notes I put: Identical to Gassmann François who is dated 1840 (in activity from 1792 to 1870).

I identify it to Jacques Rochias in 1804.
Of course we can read "Engraved by Jean Proche" on Major card La Force.
On Major Le Charior we read "J R".
Also on 2 of Coupes and also on 4 of Deniers (here letters J and R are sticked together).
On 2 of Deniers, name of supposed cardmaker is mostly erased.
Personnaly, I estimate that name ROCHIAS is a clear possibility:

R is nearly erased just after E letter that is visible on the ribbon.
O is visible for 25% (upper left side of O letter)
C is half erased
H is nearly fully readible
I is mostly erased (top and bottom of I letter appears for me)
A is hardly visible (I see his gosht trace anyway)
S is like A (gosth trace) but more visible.

Of course some of us can imagine to find JEAN PROCHE on this 2 of Deniers.
But this is not very realistic even if some letters could fit on it and find their place.
Still remains a problem for this E letter that is too close from my R of ROCHIAS;
Unless S of jacques (of Jacques Rochias) was omited (extravagant for me) or just downsized.

I am open to any discussion about this and I prefered to reply you before to read this dedicated threads I mentionned (I have to search for them anyway).

Salutations

Yves Le Marseillais

Yves Le Marseillais

Real TdM decks

emmsma said:
What is a "Real" TdM? And where does one acquire such? What makes all the others listed here "not real"?

Confused.
Hello,
By real Tarot of Marseille I mean an authentic one who dates from 16 to 19th century.
Okay I will include 1930 Grimaud because I started with him ha ha !!

To acquire one ? Go to E bay or to a Public Auction or find one in a very old place full of old post cards, souvenirs and so on..

By not real I mean that other decks are:
Either good fac similés = No problems for me: I will buy
Either Bad Fac similés
Either faulse Fac similés
Either good restorations = I will buy too
Either Bad restorations
Either faulse restorations.
Either "Ego" deck = I can buy it if I like it. I call this one Artistic decks.

At this stage, you will all understand that I don't want to have too much ennemys (in same moment ha ha !! By principal, I try to have only one ennemy after one: It is more realistic not ?).

But to progress in tarot means errors of course they are part of the Journey isn'it ?

Best

Yves

Le Fanu

Yves Le Marseilla said:
By real Tarot of Marseille I mean an authentic one who dates from 16 to 19th century.To acquire one ? Go to E bay or to a Public Auction or find one in a very old place full of old post cards, souvenirs and so on..
Would it not be a little expensive, buying an original TdM? I mean, I'm all for buying the best and I'm proud of my Pamela B and my 1st edition Thoth, but I never really expected to be adding an original - and complete - TdM to my collection....

By the way, what is the Burdel that isn't the Universal Marseilles? What edition is that and where can I buy one? :)

firecatpickles

Le Fanu said:
By the way, what is the Burdel that isn't the Universal Marseilles? What edition is that and where can I buy one? :)

The US Games' naming of the Universal the Burdel was a misnomer.

Yves Le Marseillais

Bound... for discussions

Major Tom said:
You might like to check out a thread on the Tarot Decks board about what makes a Marseilles a Marseilles.

For many people it seems it can't be a TdM unless it is old. Others aren't so hidebound as to think the tradition is dead.

Hello Major,

You are right and some try to maintain the tradition of Tarot de Marseille.
As I said, I am open to artistics decks and I wish to see one day a real Tarot of Marseille NEW and young deck.

It is possible of course but until today I did not found it: It is my own Graal Quest about Tarot.

For the moment, I consider much more interesting to collect Good fac similés of Historical decks, to visit Museums as to see and picture old decks and when I can, to buy one or two historical deck.

Thanks to you I had to reopen my dictionnary English to french coz I did not know this word "hidebound".

I will give you a confidence: I am on a track as to very probably find a New (but) traditional Tarot de Marseille.... But shut!! it is a surprise.

Your friend

Yves

Alan Ross

Fire Cat said:
The US Games' naming of the Universal the Burdel was a misnomer.

You must be referring to the Schaffhouse reproduction sold by US Games as the "Tarot Classic." It was the my first Marseille-type deck. I still have it and it still brings a smile to my face whenever I look through it. It's a goofy and weirdly colored deck, but I always enjoyed reading with it.

Alan

firecatpickles

Alan Ross said:
You must be referring to the Schaffhouse reproduction sold by US Games as the "Tarot Classic." It was the my first Marseille-type deck. I still have it and it still brings a smile to my face whenever I look through it. It's a goofy and weirdly colored deck, but I always enjoyed reading with it.

Alan
Yes that's the one.