How do you deal with weird questions?

seedcake

What I will not do is rephrase the querents question. And I hate when readers do that to my questions. I've had readers ask me to rephrase my question or tell me that they would rephrase the question. At that point I would leave the thread unless I decide to ask something else.

Rephrasing the question is also the good way to make clear what is the real problem. Asking the right question is art and extremely important in many fields, like in any kind of psychotherapy. I believe that in Tarot, it works this way too. Quite often I got questions which were scattered in the full story of the problem. 'Cause of it it's easy to make a "mistake" - to not look at the aspect which the querent really wanted to solve.

Nineveh

Rephrasing the question is also the good way to make clear what is the real problem. Asking the right question is art and extremely important in many fields, like in any kind of psychotherapy. I believe that in Tarot, it works this way too. Quite often I got questions which were scattered in the full story of the problem. 'Cause of it it's easy to make a "mistake" - to not look at the aspect which the querent really wanted to solve.

Rephrasing the querent's question may very well result in an answer to a question that was not intended to be asked. Consequently, the querent's question will not be answered.

Yes, asking the right question is art. However on AT I have found that a few readers ask a sitter to rephrase their question simply because the reader doesn't want to read on third party questions or matters they deem intrusive. I'm not here for psychotherapy. I don't need anyone telling me to rephrase my question to "what can I do to become a person more receptive to X's desires" because they don't want to ask "How does X feel about me?". Such ideology encourages low self esteem and other unhealthy behaviors. If X will accept me it will be for me as I am. Iwill not change who I am to be accepted by anyone. Just an example...

seedcake

Rephrasing the querent's question may very well result in an answer to a question that was not intended to be asked. Consequently, the querent's question will not be answered.

Yes, asking the right question is art. However on AT I have found that a few readers ask a sitter to rephrase their question simply because the reader doesn't want to read on third party questions or matters they deem intrusive. I'm not here for psychotherapy. I don't need anyone telling me to rephrase my question to "what can I do to become a person more receptive to X's desires" because they don't want to ask "How does X feel about me?". Such ideology encourages low self esteem and other unhealthy behaviors. If X will accept me it will be for me as I am. Iwill not change who I am to be accepted by anyone. Just an example...

I totally get your point. Everything can be overused, also asking the right questions. But still, I believe that some people would like to see a little change in the question, and others don't. Reading cards is for people so we need to consider many possibilities. That's why I try to not have any strong opinion when it's about asking the question in the "right" way or even the third party thing. Situation always can change or you find yourself comfortable with things which you thought are not.

ravenest

Hi there!! :)
I have started to do free readings for people I don't know, so that I can improve my tarot reading skills.
I have started to receive questions that I personally find inappropriate. There is a wide set that goes from "will I get that job?" or "when wil I find the man/woman of my dreams? tell me about his/her look" to "what can I do to speak with the angels?".
A part of me would say these people that they have completely missed the point, that I'm not a fortune teller and bla bla bla... On the other hand I think that everyone deserves a kind word. So every time I try to rephrase the question at my best. But I feel the overall situation quite oppressive.
I'd love to hear your opinions in regard.

I will put my opinion in the form of a question (with certain emphasis);

Now you have STARTED to do free readings for people you DONT KNOW so you can IMPROVE your skills .... do you think people who dont know you, that you are using to improve your skills on - just as you are starting out, should ask you deep and meaningful questions that could effect their lives and their family ?

On the other hand, maybe you are experienced and the wording of the post is lacking ? If so ..... welcome to the wonderful world of Tarot.

(You know .... some people even go to the doctors for the dangest stuff - I've heard - I know one . Actually, it might help if some of them went through a tarot reader BEFORE the doctor - from what I hear :laugh:)

ravenest

I always explain a little about my reading style and what tarot is and is not before the reading starts, including what I won't do.

OHH! I LIKE that! I used to do that too.

Some people will just sit down and accept whatever. without even thinking to find out what sort of reader you are. Its a bit like 'meditation' ;

Anyone want to meditate with me? <okay, a group sits down and shuts their eyes>

... what type of meditation , what is the object and purpose, how are we going to do it? There are all these different types you know? ... are we all just supposed to assume ....

- Oh do shut up ravenest and sit down and close your eyes like the rest of us and just DO it !

Once I went to a lecture from a Tibetan Lama, someone said something about meditation and he said, okay ... lets meditate then ... every one got comfortable, closed their eyes and started 'meditating' ... I sat there wondering what was going on ... then Lama;

"Excuse me ... what are you people doing ? " :laugh:

nisaba

None of the questions in the first post sounded weird to me. "what can I do to speak with the angels?" was about the most interesting of them.

danieljuk

goodness I think I have asked all those questions about myself over the years :)

I find far weirder questions when people try to use tarot to guess if someone is single or married or gay and straight or their entire personalities!

I think what you are saying silverwinter is that you don't want to use tarot for predictive questions, maybe just psychological analyse or the options in a situation and that is one way of using it. Most questions you get though are going to be predictive! people worry about the future a lot :)

seedcake

None of the questions in the first post sounded weird to me. "what can I do to speak with the angels?" was about the most interesting of them.

It can be tricky. My friend who is the professional rune reader got a question: "How I can meet my Guardian Angel?" Well, answer was pretty clear - "you must die first". At least, this was the message from the runes. Lady intended to see her Guardian Angel in the full glory, just to make it clear ;)

ravenest

goodness I think I have asked all those questions about myself over the years :)

I find far weirder questions when people try to use tarot to guess if someone is single or married or gay and straight or their entire personalities!

I think what you are saying silverwinter is that you don't want to use tarot for predictive questions, maybe just psychological analyse or the options in a situation and that is one way of using it. Most questions you get though are going to be predictive! people worry about the future a lot :)

yes ... very good points- D. and N.

With 'weird' and me choosing 'not to get involved' with a particular querent it is more about my judgemental assessment of the person rather than the question.

Friture

Stil, I spread the cards and read whatever I see.
I concur - it really isn't that hard. I've answered questions like 'does he (a deceased beloved) know I just want to end it all (presumably suicide)?' to 'will my food cook well?' I am a skeptic of past lives yet I read when asked, and got curious myself to see what the cards say. I don't exactly believe astral traveling works but when asked this question I try to read what the cards say. I do not like cheating in relationships/marriage and all sorts of affairs yet when asked questions related to this I read what the card says.

Ravenest, if you are talking about me - reading the cards before seeing a doctor. (Yes I am going to assume you are) I am not saying the cards will help my medical condition. I am saying I could learn to read the cards through practical daily happenings - just as one would draw a daily card to see if the day is described by the cards. Please don't tell me tarot is not for me if I intend to use it for fortune telling - then again, I probably am not as 'evolved' as you are. If I am not interested in tarot reading, why bother to draw cards and see if it relates to any real life events?