How to break through a Tarot Deck

INIVEA

I am struggling with my new deck, I am having a hard time reading it. I am not yet ready to give up on it.

How can I break through with this deck?
What can I do, besides meditation, I have tried to meditate in the past, nope nope nothing, doesn't work for me.

I am open to any other suggestions

dancing_moon

Is this the New Palladini? I think it's close enough to RWS to be read using RWS meanings, but, perhaps, a bit too scarce in symbolism to be used without it/'intuitively'.

I'd dedicate more time to studying/reviewing Waite's system. Another way would be to read more with it, and to write down your questions and spreads so that you could go back to them (and then actually go back to them!). And, of course, spend some time with the 8 of Swords card that came up in the deck interview. It might be that this deck is voicing messages that you're blocking, consciously or not. :)

Good luck!

madhatter00o

Have you tried interviewing you deck? Even with my RW, which I've had for over a year, I found the Deck Interview to be a really great way to "get to know" your deck, and see what kind of stuff it wants to tell you. Now I do it with all my decks; it's really helpful.

I use the New Deck Interview spread, which can be found here on AT: http://www.tarotforum.net/showthread.php?t=44573.

Maybe pay special attention to the "how can we best collaborate" card and use that to shift the way you interact with the deck.

Is there a particular thing that's just not clicking for you? The images? The Majors or Minors specifically?

Citrin

Honestly I find that sometimes the only thing to do is to give it a rest. I struggled for a long time with a certain deck, then I got annoyed, put it in a drawer and said “Oh whatever then, you’re not meant for me!”. I tried to trade and sell it, but nope. After a couple of months I just felt like digging it up and trying it out, and all of a sudden, it was readable! It was crystal clear and the reading flow was great. I still don’t know how that happened, but I’m happy it worked out. :)

If you don’t want to give it up yet , maybe try asking simple open questions everyday, like a daily draw asking for “Guidance for the day” or “Give me the message I need the most right now” etc. That way you’ll start to be familiar with the cards without making it too much of a chore.

DesertDream

I agree to give it a rest. But what exactly do you want from the breakthru? This would help me answer you better. I put my little used vision quest away then used it....much better lol.

lark

I have come to believe it is a matter of frequency...for lack of a better word.
I think each deck has a frequency and why we connect or don't connect to a certain deck is because our own consciousness level hasn't reached ...(or in some cases) has past that level of frequency.
Sometimes a deck will have such a wonky frequency you never connect with it.

Life experience.
Using and handling your cards a lot.
Reading books on tarot and other things.
Practicing reading for others.
Learning about another divination system like runes, lenormand, oracle cards.
All these things add to you frequency.
That's why you see people say, I put that deck away for awhile and felt lead to take it out years later and now I can read it.

A decks color, has a lot to do with it's frequency..the energy of the person who created it, the intention for which it was created.
All play into it.
There can be a lot of baggage that comes with a deck...a lot of history.
And you just might not connect with that or it will feel off.

Decks are a luxury purchase for most of us and we like to think when we plunk that coin down we made the right choice...that it might be "the one."
I know I always feel a huge disappointment when a deck doesn't seem to match my frequency when I had high hopes it would.

Sometimes I know it never will and sometimes I put it away and try later.
Over time I've gotten pretty good at knowing what will connect and what won't.
I feel left out many times of the LANDLABI posts.
(Look A New Deck Lets All Buy IT)
But when I do connect with a new deck I post my little heart out. :D

Thing is I don't think you can force it.
My advice is go back to your old deck and also go shopping for a new one that matches your frequency right now.

So wish there was a tarot lending library...I so believe that handling a deck and seeing it with your own eyes is the best way to feel if you connect.
I think I read a post about you buying this deck??
You went intending to buy a deck and the ones you though you might connect with didn't seem to do it for you and so you bought this one, kind of a spur of the moment decision.
Whenever I do that I end up disappointed because I didn't really want that deck I just was determined to buy A deck that day.

But maybe that wasn't the case with you.
Buying decks can be a real crap shoot...even with a lot of research you can still not connect.

Thoughtful

I have come to believe it is a matter of frequency...for lack of a better word.
I think each deck has a frequency and why we connect or don't connect to a certain deck is because our own consciousness level hasn't reached ...(or in some cases) has past that level of frequency.
Sometimes a deck will have such a wonky frequency you never connect with it.

l like this explanation l also call it energy, some folk here will argue of course that its only pictures on cardboard and has no energy of its own.

A decks color, has a lot to do with it's frequency..the energy of the person who created it, the intention for which it was created.
Agree here with you lark l do believe the energy of the creator has a lot to do with how you connect with your tarot. For instance my Roots of Asia deck was created and painted by a Buddhist monk before he went into retreat. l can feel his gentle energy, his love, care and prayerfulness for the images he created. Though not a follower of Buddhism it does evoke wonderful feelings of knowing within me. Also being an animal lover his use of elephants, tigers, lions, birds etc. give me a sense of feeling at home.
l digress :p

I know I always feel a huge disappointment when a deck doesn't seem to match my frequency when I had high hopes it would.
Been there so many times myself, its hard on the pocket and it leaves you with a sense of failure, why can't l read this tarot, have l lost the touch. Maybe others can read with all types of tarot and l think that's admirable, but perhaps we (you and l lark) are better finding a tarot that fits all the criteria we look for and sticking with it.

But when I do connect with a new deck I post my little heart out. :D
Same here can't talk about it enough :joke:

Thing is I don't think you can force it.
My advice is go back to your old deck and also go shopping for a new one that matches your frequency right now.
Good advice, its like kissing many frogs before you find the one or two that becomes your prince charming deck :)

AJ

do spreads on what you already know the outcome of (poor grammar!)

Then you can begin to recognize that particular language of that deck.

JackofWands

I agree with AJ. For me, getting to know a deck is just a matter of practice, and some decks take more practice than others. If I'm really struggling with a deck, I'll often do readings for fictional characters whose stories I know (e.g. Cinderella, Hamlet, and so on). That way, I can more easily compare the cards I've drawn to what I know the reality of the situation is (insofar as there can be a reality with a fictional querent).

INIVEA

Is this the New Palladini? I think it's close enough to RWS to be read using RWS meanings, but, perhaps, a bit too scarce in symbolism to be used without it/'intuitively'.

I'd dedicate more time to studying/reviewing Waite's system. Another way would be to read more with it, and to write down your questions and spreads so that you could go back to them (and then actually go back to them!). And, of course, spend some time with the 8 of Swords card that came up in the deck interview. It might be that this deck is voicing messages that you're blocking, consciously or not. :)

Good luck!

Yes, This is the New PALLADINI Tarot. I have no problem with studying the RWS system, where the problem lies is which book, that would best suited. Do I need the book that went with this deck, if so I am tapped out financially. But do have lots of other books.

I am using the deck the way it wants to be read. Which you pointed out in New Deck Spread I did. I even started a group. I am also writing it all down, even the feedback.

How do I then stop blocking the messages?