Important Tips to Newbies

Demon Goddess

Ange said:
I suppose what I'm trying to say here is that you experienced readers take what you do for granted....not having to think about what comes next.,....you know it off by heart....but it only takes one bit of what you do to comeout on the forum to make the rest of us go searching for more answers.

The post, to some, may be wrong, to others it may be ok...but to me it has opened up a whole new avenue to explore.... :)

Ang x

Actually... it is those who would simply ignore the thread on the thought ... yeah, but it's not my way who are taking their reading for granted. Why? because there may be something to elementals... if you NEED to simplify your readings. BUT... this is AT. It is designed to discuss the cards, the craft and the people. Nothing is sacrosanct and nothing is carved in stone.

Ask those of us who are long-time readers if anything in relation to the cards is taken for granted and I assure you that there isn't a one amongst us who will tell you: "I know everything there is to know about tarot". They will all tell you, I've been reading X number of years and I am still learning.

How do I know... because I've been here since the beginning and I've learned more about Tarot in the last ten years than the twenty previous.

The post was not wrong; the demeanor was exactly what was required to generate the discussion that has ensued.

And sadly if someone is going to take offense to discussion... Then they shouldn't be on a "discussion" board, as THAT is what this is.

Demon Goddess

Kircher Tree said:
I'm still waiting for a well written tip that is half as good as the first one.

One comment about "serious problem... (decks with a different alignment of elements.)" It doesn't matter which element matches with what suit. It is whatever works for you. If you think cup represent emotion/water fine. If you think they are spirit/fire, that is also fine. There is no "ONLY WAY". So this this a non-problem. Honestly it is not that difficult.

An earlier poster claimed that this was so complicated that it would discourage noobs and maybe cause them to give up tarot. DUH? There are only 4 Suites/elements. How difficult can that be? Most people notice there are 4 suites the first time they look at the cards.

It is just a suggestion or addition to the way people normally read cards. NOBODY IS SAYING THIS IS THE ONLY WAY.

Ok... I'll bite.

Here's the BEST tip that anyone can ever give AND the ONLY tip that will work for everyone:

JUST READ THE CARDS.

how's that?

nanab

I am a newbie and I am learning how to read by looking at the cards. Right now that's working. It's hard enough to do this and feel like you're doing something right. Then someone come up with elemental dignities are the only way. Kinda threw me. When reading I journal and it works so please don't tell me that this is the only way to get a true reading.

Demon Goddess

magpie9 said:
I don't know where you hang out normally, but I think your definition of "Flame" is waaaay off. People have stayed polite in their disagreement. Flaming never stays polite in disagreement.

No one has said they don't want to hear about this or that, except perhaps you. People have said that they don't agree that there is "One True Way' to read tarot, and they have said that Elements are not, in their opinion, basic to reading Tarot.
Maybe you're the one who needs to get a room? Watch a nice Disney movie, mellow out?

Just a suggestion, of course. :D

Wait... Mags, I believe I did... let me think... Nope, for sure... I said it... at least I insinuated it... Here, I'll say it again...

There is only ONE way!

Just READ the cards! :D

(aren't I horrible???)

magpie9

Demon Goddess said:
Wait... Mags, I believe I did... let me think... Nope, for sure... I said it... at least I insinuated it... Here, I'll say it again...

There is only ONE way!

Just READ the cards! :D

(aren't I horrible???)
:p :p :p :p !
;)

berrieh

Just READ the cards!

Hey, this may not be the way either... I mean some people might read the pattern the cards make on the carpet, you never know... ;)

Promise

I do not read with elementals, never have, and never will; I don't need them, I do just fine without them.

Why fix what ain't broken?

Are you saying that readers who don't use elementals cannot be accurate readers? That we are to be taken less seriously than others because we read differently?

Got news for ya; everyone who reads elementals isn't automatically good. We all read differently, and it's not up to you or anyone else to decide what is best for us. Only we can decide what works best for us and will make us the best readers we can be. Yes, elementals work for some, but they aren't required.

Why make it sound like it's your way or the highway?

Demon Goddess

berrieh said:
Hey, this may not be the way either... I mean some people might read the pattern the cards make on the carpet, you never know... ;)

Without the cards... there is no pattern. ;) hehe

Hooked on TdM

Wow! Did this thread ever grow in just 12 hours!

Well I'm a newbie, both here and to my deck, along with attempting to guide my son who is new to both Tarot and his deck.

My idea of basics is learning what each card is (you know, ace of wands, two of swords.. etc..) what order they go in, and what spreads are. To me, that's basic. (even spreads can go wild.. so when learning a new deck I stick to one card pulls and three card spreads.)

Everything after that becomes subjective. Meanings of cards, associations, how they interact.. etc.. is to each his own.

So that's my contribution to this.

Hooked

Sar

Thank you Ranzel. I will try this out. I adore to explore new ways of reading tarot.