Inappropriate/impossible questions: What would they be, & how would you handle them?

blackroseivy

Inappropriate/impossible questions: What would they be, & how would you handle them?

Ok, so I'm looking at getting certified again. I KNOW a lot of people are opposed - but I figure it never hurts to have something to show someone if they REALLY need to see something in order to have some kind of faith in your ability to do what you say you can do. Right? ;)

So...

In the interest of research, I'm looking for others' experiences in the field w/questions that they REALLY had a lot of trouble answering, etc.

Thanx for any input!

ETA - misskatie is right, I'm not certified, I'm LOOKING at it again! ;)

Deacon76

For me, anything that deals in absolutes is extremely difficult, because a) it leaves no room for free will and b) I'm not psychic. So if, for example, a man asks me if his girlfriend will say "yes" when he asks her to marry him, I can give him an idea of what the outcome may be, based on events as they stand, but she may still choose to say "yes" or "no" for any number of reasons (never mind the fact that I try to avoid doing third party readings... this is for illustrative purposes only!)

As far as questions I've actually received... well, so far I haven't run into too many problems. Most questions can be rephrased so that the focus is on the querent and what they can do to achieve the best outcome. And if they refuse to accept that kind of reading, you can either give it your best shot, or simply apologize that you're not able to address their needs and offer a refund.

Good luck!
---Deacon

blackroseivy

Thanx, Deacon, that was helpful. :)

misskatie

I understand your question perfectly, bri...you aren't certified and never have been...you are thinking about it again.

Well, if I was going to get certified I would sure have a lot of questions too, and would like to talk to people that have been through it. Makes perfect sense to me. :)

blackroseivy

From the Tarot Certification of America exam:

Certified Professional Tarot Reader Examination (CPTR)

1. Demonstrate mastery of all the requirements for CATR and CTR

2. Write your own personal code of ethics and explain how you use this code in working with clients

3. Explain to the satisfaction of your examiner how you handle troublesome or impossible questions and situations

4. Rephrase at least three "improper" or "impossible" questions and answer them to the satisfaction of your examiner

5. Demonstrate competency using tarot spreads comprising up to twelve cards

6. Explain how you intend to teach, mentor or assist prospective tarot readers in how to read tarot cards

7. Perform a minimum of twenty-five professional quality tarot readings to the satisfaction of your examiner

Scion

Obviously everyone's definition of Impossible/Inappropriate will vary based on their expertise and areas of interest. Some people are comfortable doing timing, other aren't. Some people believe in treating a situation magickally, others won't or can't. Some people prefer counseling, others divination. Some people are cool with specifics or medical/legal opinions or involving 2nd ot 3rd party participants, some would never.

YMMV... but here are a few potentially impossible/Inappropriate questions:
  • When will he propose/fire me/hire me? (presupposes answer/conditions, 2nd party)
  • Do I have cancer/talent/hope? (medical advice, counseling)
  • What will I inherit when she dies? (presupposes conditions, medical, impossible specificity)
  • Which of these 2 jobs is my dream job? (presupposes conditions/assumptions, overly generic, counseling)
  • Am I pregnant? (presupposes conditions, medical advice)
  • Is he/she gay/straight? (counseling, 2nd party info)
  • Why are my friends lying to me? Why do they hate me? (presupposes conditions, 2nd party info)
  • How do I make her love me/hire me/leave me/pay me? (presupposes situation & conditions, 2nd party info/agency, magick request)
  • Will I ever be happy/single/married/employed/rich again? (counseling, presupposes conditions, overly generic)
  • Should I quit/get a divorce/get married? (presupposes conditions, counseling, 2nd party info)
  • What is my true love's name? (presupposes conditions, impossible specificity)
  • What have I got in my pockets? (impossible specificity, Tolkien reference) :D

Gavriela

How can I put my competitor out of business?

I've actually got that before. Chris Warnock said he doesn't have an ethical problem answering it, as the competitor can hire their own diviner to give strategic advice as well. Which, you have to admit, is an interesting take on things - and when I think about it, I probably agree with him. But I didn't answer it then. Now, I think I would.

My own personal favourite:

Will I have sex today/tomorrow/Friday night?

If you do readings, you'll probably get that one, at least sometimes. Part of me wants to tell them if they can't work it out, they need more help than I can give them, but I usually answer it.

In the same realm but ickier, and one I didn't answer: If I cheat on my wife with her best friend, will my wife find out?

That was my own moral standards - we all have lines in the sand, you need to know where yours are.

And the old chestnut:

Is my spouse/lover cheating on me?

That last is apt to come up a LOT. It's not terribly uncommon when you throw the cards to discover that the person asking the question is cheating. A friend suggested that if you get a 'this person is cheating, but the spouse isn't' kind of answer, you can say something along the lines of: 'I see another man/woman around you who seems to have a romantic interest, do you know who that is?' Which seems as gracious a way of handling it as possible, as it gives them an out, or an opportunity to come clean. Sometimes the 'is my husband cheating' question is phrased as: Is my husband happy?

You may not want to go near that one at all, but you will hear it. Rephrasing can be tough, because you don't know the circumstances at all. Sometimes they already know their spouse is cheating, and want confirmation or to vent. Sometimes they're being paranoid.

You're apt to get a lot of questionable questions when it comes to relationships, and occasionally when it comes to money, too.

nisaba

blackroseivy said:
4. Rephrase at least three "improper" or "impossible" questions and answer them to the satisfaction of your examiner

1) "Yeah, but everyone's told me he/she is not interested in me. If you were any good, you would tell me what to say or do to make them change their mind."

Perhaps the fact that none of us have spoken to each other and we've all told you the same thing, might point to something? In any case, you can't enter into a healthy relationship if you expect someone else to make you happy - in that case you are just looking for a healer. When you are happy with yourself and who you are, then you are capable of loving properly.

2) My rich Aunt's really sick, I want to know if I'm going to inherit anything.

With your attitude, I hope not. In any case, I'm reading for you, not your aunt.

3) Can you tell me if the police/tax office/authority of your choice, knows what I'm up to yet?

I'm not really interested in aiding crime. Is that your only question, or can I help you with something else?

nisaba

Gavriela said:
Will I have sex today/tomorrow/Friday night?

If you do readings, you'll probably get that one, at least sometimes. Part of me wants to tell them if they can't work it out, they need more help than I can give them, but I usually answer it.

<grin> Where I read on a Sunday is near a popular marina and a string of good fishing spots. Had one guy carrying a rod and wearing boardies (and smelling like a reversed King Cups) wander in last week, slap his money down rather offensively, and ask me to tell him how many fish he had just caught. I wasn't about to play. He left without getting nasty.

blackroseivy

Scion said:
[*] What have I got in my pockets? (impossible specificity, Tolkien reference) :D

OH but I'd know the answer to that one - I know the story, hahaha! :laugh: