Inappropriate/impossible questions: What would they be, & how would you handle them?

blackroseivy

nisaba said:
<grin> Where I read on a Sunday is near a popular marina and a string of good fishing spots. Had one guy carrying a rod and wearing boardies (and smelling like a reversed King Cups) wander in last week, slap his money down rather offensively, and ask me to tell him how many fish he had just caught. I wasn't about to play. He left without getting nasty.

HA!! :laugh: again!

I'm glad you didn't have to call the cops, Nisaba!!

Apollonia

"When will I die?"

blackroseivy

OH now THERE is a hot one fer sher!! ;)

nisaba

blackroseivy said:
Originally Posted by Scion
[*] What have I got in my pockets? (impossible specificity, Tolkien reference)

OH but I'd know the answer to that one - I know the story, hahaha! :laugh:
Ah, which is where it gets clever. Bilbo feels about in his pockets to get inspired to ask a riddle, and finds the Ring. He could have just as easily found the front-door key to his hobbit-hole back in the Shire - I happen to know he carries it in the same pocket. If I were going to re-enact the story, I;'d be fumbling around in my pockets to see what I could feel in them. And being a bit of an Earth packrat, I'd find any number of things. The poor person in front of me would then be as stumped as Gollum was, which follows the spirit of the story nicely. And I'm just a humble Aussie kitcfhen-witch. Imagine if I were a Discworld graduate-wizard from the Unseen University. In *their* pockets, you're quite likely to find everything from leftover peas to strange creatures with too many legs to small experimental universes to mouse-powered electrostatic morphic generators ... anything at all.

blackroseivy

ooooooooooooooooookay!! :p heheeeeee

raheli

My habit with short readings in situations where I haven't had the opportunity to explain what I do Is to not ask for a question.
I do quite a few corporate evenings where I get a lot of first timers because it's free. When the sit down I try to put them at ease and ask if there is an area of their life they would like to focus on. Generally they list a dozen but "let's see what comes up then shall we" gets us on our way.

When someone sits down and DOES have a specific question that I find inappropriate I talk to them about the question before laying any cards, bringing them around to a place where it is something I can work with.

Of course there is always the "difficult" querant and in those cases a simple "I'm sorry I'm not able to read for you on that topic, would you like to try something else or perhaps someone else."

Kind regards
R.

mnemosyne7

So this gentleman walks into the shop last week and looks me over a couple of times. I said, "You're thinking about getting a reading, but you're not sure."

He says, "Well, yes. I have a question about a relationship, but I'm not sure if I should ask the question. What kind of readings do you do?"

I said, "I read Tarot. I usually see emotional, psychological and spiritual stuff. We can talk about the situation, the possibilities." I could tell he was really on the fence, and I wasn't going to push him into a reading. I said, "If you're looking for someone to tell you what to do, I'm not that reader."

He said, "I AM looking for someone to tell me what to do."

"Really?" I replied, "I think you already know the right thing to do, and you're looking for permission to do something else. I'm not that reader."

He smiled nervously. I said, "And that was on the house."

He left not long after. I'm pretty sure he went to the reader down the street ... the one with the neon sign in the window. I'm sure she gave him permission.

Glad I'm not that reader.

Whether I'm gentle or harsh, depending on the Querent, I expect the Querent to be engaged in the reading. There are no wrong or inappropriate questions that we can't rephrase, discuss and consider ... but there are definitely unreasonable expectations. I don't make anyone else's choices ... there's this little thing called free will. That's my line in the sand.

NateSean

Death. I am very wary of the subject of death.

I tell people right off the bat that I cannot and will not predict anyone's death. Period.

girlgeek

"Does God hate me?"

I got that one a few nights ago. I made a show about putting my deck away and said, "I can't read God. God is an unfathomable, omnipresent, possibly multi-dimensional being. Now, do you have a real question?" He got pissy and said that it *was* a real question, so I told him, "You may as well ask the ant to read your motivations."

I know this seems harsh, but this guy had spent the previous hour or so being kind of a pill. I usually answer impossible or unethical questions with a giggle and some humor to avoid upsetting the client.

Debra

A soldier came in today and asked when she would see some entitlements finally show up in her paycheck.

I told her to call her payroll office.

That wasn't her real problem, of course.