Is anyone familiar with the "I Naibi Di Giovanni Vacchetta" deck?

lilith_in_tree

I received my Meneghello Vacchetta this morning, and oh my goodness. Absolutely stunning. I had considered getting the Lo Scarabeo version instead and I'm so glad I didn't. I love the colors, the size, the matte finish, and I would swear it was hand-painted from looking at it, it doesn't look like something that came off a press at all. It seems like it will wear well, but I'm still going to be very careful with it.
Anyone thinking of getting this deck, don't hesitate, I can't see how you'd be disappointed :D

Le Fanu

Hey Lilith_in_tree - feel free to enable me, Im up for persuasion and corruption... I was thinking of buying the Meneghello Vacchetta deck. then I thought "why not just buy the Scarabeo version and cut the borders off?" Surely it´s the same... And some people even prefer the Scarabeo version...
Well, I have bought the Scarabeo version and I have cut the borders off....

But what do you think? Describe it better so I can drool more... I already have Scarabeo with and without borders. As this is really one special deck, maybe it´s worth getting the more "absolutely stunning" Meneghello version? But the few photos Ive seen, the differences between the two seemed rather subtle, and didnt warrant the extra purchase...

Certainly not right now as Im doing IDS and enjoying it very much. But ever-open to more deck-beauty in my life....

lilith_in_tree

well, I'll do my best ;)
I've haven't seen the Scarabeo version in person, but I'm assuming the cardstock and finish are similar to other Scarabeo decks, right? This one feels like it has no coating at all, and the shape of the cards is different from what I can see--they're sort of tall and skinny, as opposed to your average card shape. The images really do look hand-painted--you can see brushstrokes, it looks like watercolor, very clear and bright colors, but not cartoonish-bright, if that makes sense. It looks like an antique deck would have looked freshly made a few hundred years ago, and the cards are thick, but not too thick, they feel like they'll shuffle very nicely. Mine came in a box as opposed to the bookbinder package I know some people got, and the box is wonderful, very sturdy. I really think if you love this deck it would be worth it, even if just for study purposes--from what I can tell the coloring is very different, and the overall feel is much more authentic. It also doesn't have the Magician backs like the Scarabeo--it's got a very small dotted pattern in light brown, very pretty with the cream cardstock.

So how'd I do? :laugh: (and now I have to put mine away, because I'm doing the IDS as well!)

Le Fanu

I think that´s settled then.... When I finish my IDS, I shall buy it from Alida...:) Thanx!

Kingfish

lilith_in_tree said:
well, I'll do my best ;)
I've haven't seen the Scarabeo version in person, but I'm assuming the cardstock and finish are similar to other Scarabeo decks, right? This one feels like it has no coating at all, and the shape of the cards is different from what I can see--they're sort of tall and skinny, as opposed to your average card shape. The images really do look hand-painted--you can see brushstrokes, it looks like watercolor, very clear and bright colors, but not cartoonish-bright, if that makes sense. It looks like an antique deck would have looked freshly made a few hundred years ago, and the cards are thick, but not too thick, they feel like they'll shuffle very nicely. Mine came in a box as opposed to the bookbinder package I know some people got, and the box is wonderful, very sturdy. I really think if you love this deck it would be worth it, even if just for study purposes--from what I can tell the coloring is very different, and the overall feel is much more authentic. It also doesn't have the Magician backs like the Scarabeo--it's got a very small dotted pattern in light brown, very pretty with the cream cardstock.

So how'd I do? :laugh: (and now I have to put mine away, because I'm doing the IDS as well!)

You did good! I have the edition that you have. It might be my favorite deck but as I said I'm using the RWS for learning purposes. I agree that the deck feels original. It's truly like a rare well preserved "antique." Mine came in a box open on three sides with ribbons and the Magician printed on the top. I think that using these cards could give you a sense of how the cards were used in the distant past. From another point of view, I do prefer decks that use cross cultural symbols like the Haindl, and not just Christian symbols--Pope and Papess don't do it for me. Still, love that little deck!

Kingfish

I just noticed that the Queen of Swords has just decaptitaed a man in the background of the scene, and she seems to be carrying his head in a bag. I wonder what's up with that--??

lilith_in_tree

Isn't that an interesting version of the queen? I saw someone mention around here that it might be a portrayal of Judith having beheaded Holofernes, here's a wiki thing on her:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Judith

That's why I love this deck--some of the cards are so different from other pre-RWS decks!

Kingfish

Thanks for the info. I guess the Queen of Swords in this deck is an heroic woman. Makes sense if I think about it---sword/heroic. I wonder why I haven't come across the quality of "heroism" in all the interpretations of the court swords that I've read so far. Well actually they do mention courage, but heroism is different--more dramatic and extreme. I like it!

Le Fanu

Yes, it is Judith - or rather, would seem to be - based on the usual iconography of Judith. Head in a bag, stealing away from camp. All ties in with the Judith myth.

Interesting, I always saw this reference on the Queen of Swords card as being linked to coldness, detachedness, not shying away from difficult tasks, not faint-hearted, of - as we might say now - taking the ball and running with it...

lark

Of all the Queens I think the Queen of Swords is the one who "gets the job done" and by golly, if someone needs their head chopped off, she's the gal to do it.

Reminds me of the the Estensi Tarot...2 of Wands...where the poor guys lost his balls.